Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bulldogs lose to St. Mary's, but still in the Tournament.

13»

Comments

• edited March 29
    MikeM said:

NC State has come out of no-where to win the ACC tournament and now deep into this tournament. Clemson wasn't great either all year, but they both got hot at the right time.

I haven't read enough about NC State to have any idea what might have jelled there, but going from a 10th-place, below .500 conference regular season finish to winning the ACC tournament is pretty wild.

Edit: Gonzaga and Purdue tip off in about half an hour. Go Zags!
  • Bulldogs! Ya! Promises to be a helluva game.
    That 7-footer guy that plays for Purdue has gotta be shut-down, somehow.
  • edited March 29
    Dawgs and Boilermakers:
    3-point shots are Purdue's bread and butter tonight. A couple of minutes now, before the Half. Tied at 33 apiece.
    Half: Purdue 40, Gonzaga 36. Doggy poopies.
  • My bracket looks like Swiss cheese, lots of holes for loses !
  • My previous message is missing something I thought I had included. Anyhow, Zags are out. Big fat buckets of junk! But the Purdue team deserves the win. 80-68.
  • edited March 30
    89-82 'Bama beats Clemson with 3s. Outrageous-distance 3s, even. Sears = on fire. Next on the agenda is UConn, right?
  • Can't make this stuff up - Illegal Invaders
  • Mark said:

Can't make this stuff up - Illegal Invaders

LOL. Laugh Laugh Laugh. These types just have no shame. At least the first Half was competitive, vs. Purdue.

Lady-Zags are out, too. Lost to Texas.
    Happy Easter, all. 83, sunny, breezy here today.

• We have a Cinderella, N.C. State ! All portal starters, I think.

Enjoy your ride, Derf
  • My Huskies are ready for Alabama. They could have beaten Illinois by 40, but let up a bit in the second half. Hard to beat a team that has a 30-0 run. We could see a fascinating battle of the big men (7'2" Clignan vs. 7'4" Edey) should those two teams reach the finals.
  • I'd normally cheer for CT. .... I must put my hopes on NC State. An underdog, perhaps. But I want them to kill Purdue. Because Purdue "killed" my Bulldogs.
  • That Perdue big man, Zach Edey, was a force. It was nice to watch inside domination by a player, like the old days, instead of the new game of the 3-point barrage. Hot hand wins the game.

I'll be cheering for State over Perdue next weekend but I have to admit, Perdue vs UC would be one hell of a final match-up.
  • edited April 1
    "I'll be cheering for State over Perdue next weekend but I have to admit, Perdue vs UC would be one hell of a final match-up."

I'm with you, there.
  • Lots of talk here about the mens tournament but you might have missed a doozie with Caitlin Clarks efforts in taking down last year's champion LSU in the woman's tournament. She has been quite a story this past year.
  • Sure enough!
  • @Mark: I watched both women's games and was happy with the outcomes. UConn men and women seem to be able to score rapid bunches of points such that I lose track of the score and how well they are doing.
  • edited April 5
    Iowa-UConn women's semifinal was a great game - wow. One takeaway: C. Clark is terrific, but Iowa's more than just her.
  • edited April 6
    Go, Wolfpack men!

......2nd Half: can't stop those Purdue 3s. Stinky poopy. Z. Edy has committed a bunch of turnovers. Surprises me. NC State is blowing layups and easy shots when they get the chance.
  • Edey's block ability will cause those blown lay ups ! Intimidation !!
  • 86-72 UConn beats 'Bama. But that game was closer than the score at the Final shows. Championship game: Purdue vs. Connecticut. Gotta shut down that tall drink of water!
  • @Crash: no team I've seen this year has managed to defend effectively against Edey. I hope UConn has a plan.
  • U. Conn -6 1/2 points. They haven't won a tournament game by less than 10 points since you know when. I think U. C will win by bench strength although I'll be pulling for the upset.
    I see NC State beat Iowa to finish the year undefeated. Outstanding Gals !!
  • "South Carolina". I watched from start to finish and besides the quick start Iowa had, I thought they were out matched in athleticism and size all game. And that big girl SC has, Cardoso, was a monster in the middle. Iowa couldn't get a rebound. Congrats to the Lady Gamecocks!

Now the match meant to be, Uconn and Perdue. I have to root for the Big East, but I won't be disappointed if Perdue upsets.
  • S. Carolina looked great. They also had a bench (nine-player rotation, according to the announcers) that Iowa didn't have.
  • edited April 8
    UConn/Purdue sure is a game! Halftime now. 36-30.
    2nd half: Turning up the heat. Shut down Purdue's Edey. Final 75-60. Getting it all done.3s, floaters, surges. Great passing game. Huskies win! Win it all!

• I'm actually amazed how easily UConn handled every opponent, even Perdue which had to be one of the top 5 teams in the tournament. Repeat champion says a lot for that program and that coach, Dan Hurley.

Rumor-mill has it Kentucky wants Hurley as their next coach. Can't imagine the contract talks that would come out of that.
  • Betting odds on the next UK coach.

(Hmm. What can't you bet on now?)