Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ARGH !!! I want more tech, but dang, looking at 2023 returns. I track this one...and other tech

SMH etf, VanEck, Semi Conductors, 26 holdings as of today, Jan. 8.

--- +73.4% in 2023 and it was down -5 last week, but strong again today at +3.5%, with other tech. advancing, too (Jan. 8)

I/we prefer 10% of the portfolio for a holding to be meaningful for either the positive or negative affect. Perhaps some dollar cost averaging, in 2% chunks. Magic 8 Ball is awaiting parts. But I can make hand drawn dart board.
So many have to have the chips and their related vendors, eh?

Gonna watch a football game first with a game snack of Michigan 'Jiffy Mix' corn bread.:)
Ticker	Holding Name	% of Net Assets	 
NVDA US Nvidia Corp 20.35
TSM US Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co 9.12
AVGO US Broadcom Inc 6.02
AMD US Advanced Micro Devices Inc 5.59
INTC US Intel Corp 5.36
ASML US Asml Holding Nv 4.79
TXN US Texas Instruments Inc 4.49
LRCX US Lam Research Corp 4.47
QCOM US Qualcomm Inc 4.46
ADI US Analog Devices Inc 4.38
AMAT US Applied Materials Inc 4.37
MU US Micron Technology Inc 4.02
SNPS US Synopsys Inc 3.62
KLAC US Kla Corp 3.55
CDNS US Cadence Design Systems Inc 3.21
NXPI US Nxp Semiconductors Nv 2.23
MCHP US Microchip Technology Inc 2.10
MRVL US Marvell Technology Inc 1.91
STM US Stmicroelectronics Nv 1.38
ON US On Semiconductor Corp 1.26
MPWR US Monolithic Power Systems Inc 1.08
SWKS US Skyworks Solutions Inc 0.77
TER US Teradyne Inc 0.62
QRVO US Qorvo Inc 0.46
OLED US Universal Display Corp 0.38
USD CASH- -0.01 -
Other/Cash 0.04 --

Comments

• Go Blue!
  • edited January 9
    D
  • MikeM said:

”Go Blue!”

@MikeM - Are you recommending IBM stock?
  • Semiconductor is one enabling way to play AI. They are expensive though, so go slow.
  • @MikeM. Go Blue!!!!!
  • Congrats to Michigan & thanks for returning Championship back to the "Big Ten".
  • @Derf.+1. I think Washington was out coached.
  • Hi @Mark Thank you. Looking at FSELX as well. We have FTEC (Fido tech etf), too. Perhaps we'll hang loose for a bit to discover how much 'cranial-rectal' inversion' remains in Congress for the next month or so.
  • edited January 9
    @catch22 - Why not hold on to your technology marbles and wait for SpaceX to go public?

Perhaps as early as 2024

In keeping with the football motif here, were I inclined to play this one I’d probably employ an ”End-around” (indirect route) and invest instead in mushrooms which should benefit from all the IPO publicity and are far less likely to explode.

Really, the possibilities here are endless …

- Reverse play - Sell the stock short which would pay off big if the first rocket blows up.

- Punt - Hang on to for a few days as IPO attracts buyers and soars in price and than sell all.

- Double reverse - Try driving the price down with a massive short position; than switch directions and buy in “on the cheap” after panicked investors have fled.

- “Hail Mary” - Go for broke. Double-down using leverage.

My own low key ”ground game” has never been interested much in high-tech. I’ve have made more money over the years - potentially anyway. But the big swings in valuation would have led to many sleepless nights. Those kinds of swings can also lead to making dumb decisions like jumping ship at the worst possible moment. However, I did own some PRMTX for a few months in late ‘08 - early ‘09 when valuations were at rock bottom.
  • edited January 9
    Hi @hank Using your noted PRMTX.....

PRMTX v FSELX v SPY simple bar chart , Jan 1999 to date.

You could have done much worse in many other areas of the markets. And I'm NOT suggesting one place all the marbles into one bag.
    NOTE: I first began training in electronics in 1968. I had several different employers during my employment period, involved with electronics/computer driven mechanical devices. My longest tenure was 33 years with one company. I have a comfort level with technology and its continued evolving into 'everything'.
    It is important to maintain one's feeling as much as possible and not flip investments. Not an easy task.
    SpaceX and Mr. Musk. Nope. Not interested in a single issue, regardless of the brilliance of Musk to get things done in technology. It's the other part of his brain that gives me pause.
    If one wants to maintain 10 investment positions (10% each) in a portfolio, I feel one pure area should be some form of technology (not a single issue), but an etf or fund with at least 30 holdings.

ADD: investing in mushrooms

• edited January 9
    ”If one wants to maintain 10 investment positions (10% each) in a portfolio, I feel one pure area should be some form of technology (not a single issue), but an etf or fund with at least 30 holdings.”

- I beg to differ Catch. Depends on your own disposition and the other parts of your portfolio. Different ways to skin a cat.

- Interesting chart. Thanks for posting. In its “hey-day” PRMTX was nearly as popular as PRWCX is today. Has been soft closed and hard to access at times.

- No doubt my two L/S funds (10% each) dabble in the tech arena. But I don’t pay particular attention to which stocks they own and which ones they short. For the cost of owning these types of funds, the managers should know a lot more than I do.

- Haven’t checked PRPFX’s holdings lately. It’s often thought of as a “gold & silver” fund. But of course it’s much more. Aggressive growth stocks have always constituted one of its investment sleeves. So if you happen to own that one, you may have more tech exposipure than you realize.
  • @hank I corrected a typo.
    --- And I'm NOT suggesting one place all the marbles into one bag.

And 'dispositions' help shape the markets, eh? I believe there were a few discussions here regarding the 'talking heads' and that many missed the market returns for 2023. Even many bond funds caught a positive 'wave' to close 2023.
  • edited January 9
    +1

But I hasten to add -

There are short term dispositions (mainly about market direction) to which Catch alludes. There also longer term ingrained dispositions regarding how much risk one is willing to assume and the types of investments he / she is most comfortable holding over longer periods
  • Art
    edited January 10
    I switched to stocks from mutual funds after I retired. Don't post much because of that. I have 9% of portfolio in Tech stocks having bought both AVGO and NVDA plus four other stocks in late summer of 2022.
  • edited January 10
    Art said:

I switched to stocks from mutual funds after I retired. Don't post much because of that. I have 9% of portfolio in Tech stocks having bought both AVGO and NVDA plus four other stocks in late summer of 2022.

@Art - We’d enjoy your investment perspectives anyhow whenever you’re inclined to post.
    Nice going.

A stranger I encountered on a hotel / airport shuttle a bit under 2 years ago (June ‘22) recommended I buy NVDA. (His only recommendation) Just casual chatter. He couldn’t even pronounce the company name correctly - but had read recommendations for it on the Motley Fool - which he swore by as a great source of investment guidance. Of course, I didn’t take his advice. Who in their right mind would buy a stock based on an anonymous tip from some stranger encountered by chance on an airport shuttle?

I suspect there’s deeper significance to that story - but danged if I can figure it out.
  • PRMTX holds good stocks, but lone manager has been there only four years. Max drawdown -44.69% 2021-22, about same as index