Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How would you invest $100,000 right now?

For kicks and giggles and ideas, not recommendations...

3/6/12 month tbills, equally, 45%
Mrfox, Marshfield, 15%
Pvcmx, Palm valley, 25%
Cbldx, crossing bridge, 15%

What say you?

Comments

• edited September 2023
    That is like saying...should I buy a bicycle?
    It could be a good idea if I live and work at a university.
    But, if I want to go on a 2-week vacation to 3 states, not so good.

Is this all my money? if not, what %?
    How old am I?
    What are the goals?
  • -Lock-in 5+% CDs. Grab as much duration as you can. 20%. ($20k)
    -PRWCX (yes, closed to new investors.) 30%. ($30k.)
    -BHB. 5%. ($5k). still a bargain. A fine dividend, too.
    -KRC Kilroy Realty. REIT. 5% ($5k.)

-TUHYX a junk fund, performing very well. 10%. ($10k.)
    -BAESY (BAE, British. ADR. Military.) 10%. ($10k.)
    -NGKSY. (Japanese. ADR. Auto parts. Helluva dividend.) 5% ($5k.)
    -ET (Oil/gas midstream.) 5% ($5k.)
    -BRUFX. balanced fund. Good entry point? It's not exactly shooting the lights out in '23.
    10%. ($10k.)
    Priorities and circumstances DO matter: retired, but wife still works. Already comfortable and investing for heirs. Only moderately aggressive these days. Don't want to hold TOO much fixed income. But FDIC-insured stuff is hard to beat.
  • On the next sizable down day I would put half in FPACX and half in JQUA and pay no attention to them for many years
  • SPGP/DGRW 50/50. Dinky linky.
  • edited September 2023
    @Baseball_Fan, if you capitalize your mutual fund tickers it would be easier for people to read and review funds. Yes, shout it out:)

I might do:

50% PRWCX
    30% AVGE
    20% CD/treasury ladder going out 5 years.
  • Will do @MikeM. Tks for the feedback
  • Why, oh why did I not buy Apple at $140 only a little while ago
  • FZDXX for right now, 50/50 FXAIX and QQQM when the fit hits the shan.
  • edited September 2023

Happened to see this beauty on the water yesterday. Thought it might belong to someone here. :)

I really haven’t a clue where you should put your money. Maybe invest in a boat?
  • Aw, @hank. Hypothetical, ideal. Imaginary. Not real dollars..... YET.
    @davidmoran. I remember the 1990s and Apple at $3.00. (ORK!). But I had no money to invest back then.
  • @Hank. Invest in a boat? We are selling our sailboat we have owned and enjoyed since 1999. Worst investment ever. And selling it might not be very easy at all.
  • Sounds like our weekend place. Didn't build it as an investment- we've had 25 years of use and pleasure out of it. With current insurance problems it may not be easy to sell that either. If we just break even, adjusted for inflation, that will be fine.
  • edited September 2023
    larryB said:

We are selling our sailboat we have owned and enjoyed since 1999. Worst investment ever. And selling it might not be very easy at all.

They say the 2 happiest days in a fella’s life are - (1) The day he buys a boat and (2) the day he sells it. :)

Enjoyed a couple different fishing boats over about a 40 year span. A lot of work towing, launching, loading etc. After the last one began to leak I was happy to sell it for whatever could get.
  • +1 david JQUA beats FXAIX and PRBLX for the 1, 3, and 5 year periods !
  • B
    O
    A
    T

"Bring out another thousand.....lot of upkeep etc etc
  • Re: boats and wealth. Many, many years ago my old man told me that if weren’t for my sailing habit I could have been rich. But sailing twice to Mexico made us rich in experiences. Just should have sold her sooner.
  • Old_Joe said:

Sounds like our weekend place. Didn't build it as an investment- we've had 25 years of use and pleasure out of it. With current insurance problems it may not be easy to sell that either. If we just break even, adjusted for inflation, that will be fine.

Friends of ours got home insurance through USAA. And the wife was just the daughter of a guy who did a hitch way back when.
  • edited September 2023
    Where would I invest $100k today?--one of the 5.4% CDs available on the Schwab website. $100k is the amount I normally invest in a given CD, so this would be consistent with my investment decisions for the past several months. Unfortunately, I don't have $100k availabe for investing for now, but in a couple of months, that scenario will be real for me, as I have several existing CDs maturing, assuming that CD rates do not fall significantly in the next couple of months. As a retired investor, focused on preservation of principal, the current market CD rates are too good to pass up--at least for me and my investing style!
  • Why not 5.2% @ Fido mm ?
  • edited September 2023
    Of course, so much depends on one's financial situation, proximity to retirement, etc.

That said, here's one idea.

$20k - Treasuries or LCORX.
    $25k - Fine Swiss timepieces (2-3 from the IWC, Breguet, Piaget, DeBethune families)
    $20k - VGWLX
    $20k - PRWCX / FPACX
    $15k - FMIMX

Wear the watches now. At least one of the watches should be an IWC Portugieser. Fun to wear, and will always have a market.
  • I'm guessing dtconroe wants to lock in 5.4% for 2 or more years. The Fido mm rate would drop significantly if the US enters recession in 2024 or 2025 .
  • I can’t resist beautiful watches. But those Swiss ones must be losing value this week as the Swiss franc falls sharply against the soaring dollar.
  • Years ago we were with a group of Michigeese and Michiganders in the old bazaar in Instanbul. Some of the men were busy at a shop specializing in "knock-offs" of expensive watches. As I joined them a couple of salesmen immediately surrounded me asking what particular wonderful watch might I be interested in. Attempting to keep a straight face I asked to see what they might have in a knock-off Timex.

The reaction, from both the salesmen and my traveling companions, was something to remember. Lots of fun.
  • edited September 2023
    @hank: I'm thinking of the $US market, and I'm thinking of the more portable stuff. I.e., an IWC Portugieser or Jaeger-LeCoultre or even (possibly) Piaget Altiplano Ultimate, rather than a one-off Lange & Sohne 8-day tourbillion or some MB&F monstrosity, or even a Jaquet Droz chronograph or meteorite dial quantieme, which are lovely pieces but are too stylized to have a broad market appeal.

Patek is an obvious choice here, but $25k probably barely buys one. Same with an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, Breguet Ultra-Thin Tourbillion RDM, etc.
  • 5.5% 2 year cd jp Morgan chase today at fidelity, stepped in and conducted some commerce at lunchtime

Like the idea of watches. Get outside of financial system.... you've heard me pine about high grade rubies a few years ago

Don't read hussy commentary today if you hold lots of stocks etc.... you'll be investing in whiskey to steel your nerves....
  • edited September 2023

Don't read hussy commentary today if you hold lots of stocks etc.... you'll be investing in whiskey to steel your nerves....

Last time I looked Hussy’s “flagship” fund was averaging -3 or -4% annually for the last 15 years. Must be some sort of a genius to manage to lose that much money!
  • 5.5% 2 year cd jp Morgan Chase is callable, and Chase will call it in a moment if they can save 10 cents on the situation.

However, on Schwab I bought a JPMorganChase callable at 5.7%, maturity 12/18/2024. On a short hold time like that I'll take my chances on a call... no big deal.
  • @hank, ya truth re hussy. Still wonder if we didn't have all the fiscal and monetary policies in effect over the past 15 years, hussman would be the modern day peter Lynch. He might still be but as I think you stated, we should all hope to live that long .... LOL

And Shoshy be careful running around with that bling on your wrist. Lots of gangsta types out there these days looking to rob folks, maybe better with the rubies in your sock.....
  • edited September 2023
    5.5% 2 year cd jp Morgan Chase is callable, and Chase will call it in a moment if they can save 10 cents on the situation.
    I contend that if rates start falling and these Cds are called, it may be to your benefit. If rates start dropping that means something else is going to go up. Move to equity market maybe? Bond funds? But I agree 2 year and greater, and that money is earmarked as cash long term, callable over non-callable may be a different decision.
  • edited September 2023
    carew388 said:

I'm guessing dtconroe wants to lock in 5.4% for 2 or more years. The Fido mm rate would drop significantly if the US enters recession in 2024 or 2025 .

That is correct--I have some cash in SNAXX which is paying a very nice interest rate, but MMs do not guarantee those rates for very long. I do not know how long I will be able to get CDs for 5.4%, but for a retired investor, that is a very attractive rate that I would be very comfortable and satisfied with that, especially when I can get a CD that pays monthly dividends. I am not recommending anyone do what I would do, but 5.4% CDs are very attractive to me for now, and that is where I would put the $100k if it was available to me now. Others can buy that Boat and I wish them well!!

Also, I only buy nonCallable CDs.