Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• I have read about ARTTX, a concentrated fund, here a few years ago but I have not seen any activity related to it recently. Do any forum members still own it?
  • @BaluBalu: I never have owned it. Before just looking at a M* listing of all the Artisan funds, I had not realized that ARTTX is their only domestic LCG offering. A single manager has been running it since inception; I don't see Christopher Smith as part of the Growth Team or of any team at Artisan. Seems as though he's a free agent toiling in a global/international/value shop. LCG is a tough place to excel if you're a sculler as opposed to a stroke in a four or eight-person shell. FWIIW, I am a fan of Artisan.
  • edited August 2023
    Small nip of TLH this morning. Threw it on the hedge sledge. Might come handy in a storm.:)

PS - Might not.
  • Sold FFRHX out of the IRA. Wanted a little more cash on hand. Still holding USFR despite the downgrade from Fitch.
  • Anyone have two cents, or more, about elderly switching from VONE to JQUA-RWL 50-50? Chiefly for lower UI with similar performance. Longterm.
    (I am aware there is high correlation among all.)
  • edited August 2023
    Bought several more shares of BHB. I caught it most of the way down in today's price action. It was down today by -0.99%.

still growing that slice of the pie. Long term holding.
  • Yesterday I sold my boatload of TDS preferreds for a tad over breakeven following Friday's $2/sh jump on the news that US Cellular is exploring strategic alternatives. Giving up a fair amount of between-here-and-par profit if/when they get called, but they've been underwater for so long, I'm happy to get out now and move the $$ into other things.
  • edited August 2023
    Exited tiny position in TLH (10-20 year Treasuries) initiated a week ago. Good learning experience. Small gain. Proceeds used to establish a toe-hold in a domestic food stock I’ve owned before. Would add on weakness. Added a bit to CCOR where I’ve built a small position recently. May have bottomed sometime last week. Just “playing around the edges”. No changes to long term static allocation (80%), Cash position nominal at 10.5%.
  • After the week-end: I've an order in to buy a handful more of PSTL, the Postal REIT. Am I shooting myself in the foot? it would not be the first time.

Anyhow, Colliers reiterates a BUY rating on PSTL. BMO rates it a HOLD.
    https://www.stocktitan.net/news/PSTL/postal-realty-trust-inc-reports-second-quarter-2023-8bhoqm3dyp7i.html
  • Used some of the proceeds from the sale of FFRHX in the IRA to add to SYLD and FSUTX.
  • Thanks, @WABAC. I appreciate your specificity and I follow the moves you’ve posted previously.
  • BenWP said:

Thanks, @WABAC. I appreciate your specificity and I follow the moves you’ve posted previously.

de nada @BenWP.

PE on SYLD is still quite low. And I like the thesis for a long-term holding. FSUTX is off a little bit this year after coming through last year, so a little bump there.

All part of the process of concentrating the IRA, if Mr. Market will cooperate. I have lots of stragglers after pulling flowers at the end of 2021 to feed weeds. AKA re-balancing.

I am eyeing at least one new addition, That would be WBALX when one of my CD's matures in October. I prefer to add bonds in ways that I don't have to think about them beyond credit quality and duration. So I hide them in balanced funds, but also DSEEX.

NTF WBALX should pair nicely with my position in VWINX which has a rather high transaction fee at Fido.
  • Going to put some mm moneys into FPACX and TCAF on next dip, as the former is ntf at ML

Cannot find a way to get into AVALF without fee ...
  • Enjoy the satire @WABC

I’ve been playing games too - designed to keep fingers off. Obfuscation can be a helpful approach. If I don’t understand what’s going on, I can’t step in and try to “fix” things.
  • @WABAC: I agree that bonds are like children (at least those of my parents’ generation). They should be seen, but not heard. Send the kids off to bed early. Similarly, buy an allocation fund so as not to be distracted by contradictory talk of duration, yield to maturity, and other such noises that distract from the enjoyment of seeing a position grow due to its equity strength. If the fund declines, drink an adult beverage, but don’t whine. (This is my first attempt at formulating an investment philosophy as anyone can plainly see….)
  • BenWP said:

@WABAC: I agree that bonds are like children (at least those of my parents’ generation). They should be seen, but not heard. Send the kids off to bed early. Similarly, buy an allocation fund so as not to be distracted by contradictory talk of duration, yield to maturity, and other such noises that distract from the enjoyment of seeing a position grow due to its equity strength. If the fund declines, drink an adult beverage, but don’t whine. (This is my first attempt at formulating an investment philosophy as anyone can plainly see….)

giggle.
  • BenWP said:

@WABAC: I agree that bonds are like children (at least those of my parents’ generation). They should be seen, but not heard. Send the kids off to bed early. Similarly, buy an allocation fund so as not to be distracted by contradictory talk of duration, yield to maturity, and other such noises that distract from the enjoyment of seeing a position grow due to its equity strength. If the fund declines, drink an adult beverage, but don’t whine. (This is my first attempt at formulating an investment philosophy as anyone can plainly see….)

Funny stuff @BenWP.

But yeah. Leave the bonds to Nanny.
  • (...And the limit order DID go through on PSTL at the open today. Price: $14.65.)

• Put 15K into this week's 4-wk T-bill auction, auto-rollover, at Schwab. (part of emergency funds)
  • @rforno... interesting... what kind of rate did you get?
  • MikeW said:

@rforno... interesting... what kind of rate did you get?

dunno yet - auction is on thursday

• Added to Utilities ETF (FUTY), which is trading just above the 52 week lows. Buying them while they are down.
  • Added to OMFL on a down day.
  • edited August 2023
    +1 @JD_com / Agree utilities appear oversold. One reason is they tend to run with bonds, and bonds have been creamed of late.

Along the same lines, a lot of international stuff denominated in non-dollars has been hit. As noted elsewhere, I picked up a (previously owned) European food conglomerate ADR today that’s been beaten up lately by the soaring dollar.
  • Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

NYCB looks too attractive to ignore. It's a handful of local gotham banks, plus NJ, Ohio, AZ. Remember, they bought a big chunk of Signature Bank, maybe First Republic, when those doinks failed?
    https://www.stockrover.com/world/insight/analysts/Quotes/NYCB
  • Added 1000s FLNG to my existing position in this LNG shipper following the sharp selloff on earnings. (Half the total position is hedged via options thru 2/24).
  • edited August 2023
    Whew! Put through a small buy at Fido with fewer than 5 minutes left in the day. Prompted a time warning, but it went through. No big deal. Just wanted to throw a few more bucks at the slumping gold, metals / mining sector through a diversified CEF I own. May amount to a case of “going down with the ship”. :)

Gold ISTM fell to below $1900 today. Need @rono to do some cheer leading!
  • Sold out of JRSH clothing manufacturer. A tiny position, but in percentage terms, the loss leaves me disgusted. Bought into TS with the proceeds. Provider of Oil Country Tubular Goods. It holds a superior market presence in seamless pipe. Dividend is at present above my 3% minimum requirement. It's an ADR. Luxembourg. Yes, a chunk of any profit from the dividend will more than likely be withheld. But if it makes me some money, I'll be glad.

• Rolled over a large maturing 6-mo t-bill into another 6-month one at 5.50%.