Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CD Rates Going Forward

1235»

Comments

• edited August 2023
    @Junkster and @Old_Joe
    Agree with both of you.....health!
  • edited August 2023
    Not much to add to the "health" discussion. After I retired about 10 years ago, I started focusing on bond oefs, and I did well with them, with limited stress until 2018. Starting in 2018, bond oefs became much less predictable for me, and I went through several very stressful periods, and was faced with having to trade much more often, and not always very successfully. I got through the period of 2018 through March 2022, made modest profits each year, but with increasing stress that I had to manage. When I started investing in CDs in 2022, I was able to make decent investing returns, but with virtually no stress. I don't know how long CD investing will continue to be financially rewarding, but I enjoy the lack of stress, I sleep better, and I can focus on other things in life that bring my wife and I great joy in our remaining years. It is hard to put a price on how valuable that is to me and my wife.
  • As we used to say back in the sixties, “right on dt!”
  • edited August 2023
    Said already several times. The main reason I use lower yield, "safer" MM with no gates because
    1) The extra 0.2-0.3% (or a bit more) is *negligible on an annual basis.
    2) I also have more than enough and can stay in MM for years but I'm using mostly bond funds. When I'm in the market, I invest at 99+% which is guaranteed by MM with no gates.

*I meant to write negligible.
  • negligent: "failing to take proper care in doing something"

Hard to see how "The extra 0.2-0.3% (or a bit more) is negligent" on any basis.

• I think FD means negligible !
  • @carew388 - yeah, I knew that. If it had been anyone other than FD I wouldn't have been so snarky.
  • I noticed that Bank CD offerings at Schwab, are bumping up slightly with more banks offering 5.3% CDs for almost all periods of 1 year or shorter. 18 mo CDs are also bumping up slightly, but not quite to 5.3% yet. Longer than 18 months are not changing much yet.