Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Prosecutors Ask for Protective Order Citing Threatening Trump Post

edited August 2023 in Off-Topic
Excerpt from NYT August 5

”The federal prosecutors overseeing the indictment of former President Donald J. Trump on charges of seeking to overturn the 2020 election asked a judge on Friday night to impose a protective order over the discovery evidence in the case, citing a threatening message that Mr. Trump had posted on social media. By mentioning the incendiary post in an otherwise routine request seeking to keep Mr. Trump from making evidence public, the prosecutors in the office of the special counsel, Jack Smith, were drawing the attention of the judge, Tanya S. Chutkan, to Mr. Trump’s longstanding habit of attacking those involved in criminal cases against him.

“Hours later, Mr. Trump’s campaign responded with a statement calling the post “the definition of political speech.” The statement suggested that the post had not been directed at anyone involved in the election interference case, saying it was meant for Mr. Trump’s political adversaries.

“The exchange of words began on Friday evening when Mr. Trump posted a message on Truth Social, his social media platform, issuing a vague but strongly worded threat. ‘IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I’M COMING AFTER YOU!’ he wrote.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/05/us/politics/jack-smith-trump-threat-social-media.html

My interpretation - Prosecutors think Trump will try to deter witnesses from cooperating or even testifying in the case out of fear he will reveal personal details about them, their family and associates and their intended testimony in advance so that his followers can harass them into silence. The prosecution is caught between a rock and a hard place in that they are required to share previously secret grand jury testimony with Trump’s legal team.

Folks - How did we ever get to this point? Surely, graduate level college courses will evolve in a generation or so - perhaps sooner - seeking to explore / answer that question.

Comments

• "How did we ever get to this point?"

By electing a conscienceless snake. Simple as that. What's most depressing is the number of people who seem to like that.
  • edited August 2023
    Old_Joe said:

By electing a conscienceless snake. Simple as that. What's most depressing is the number of people who seem to like that.

That’s like saying the tap water tastes bad because there’s mud in it. What the hell caused the mud?

I’m thinking (1) the shift from delegate conventions to primaries, (2) the disregard for or absence of civics & history classes in schools, (3) the loss of defined benefit pensions for many workers, (4) the SC ruling allowing unlimited PAC contributions, (5) the increasing prevalence of firearms among civilians, (6) the the rise of the internet where every color of snake seems to attract a gathering, (7) the removal of earlier FCC “fairness doctrines” for broadcasters and (8 the decline in quality and number of independent newspapers - especially acute at the local level.

All this and more has gotten us to a snake infested environment. Unfortunately, there’s at least a few others waiting in the grass to replace snake #1 should he be diverted from his path. That’s the problem with assigning a simple solution to all this.
  • Oh, you wanted a real answer... sorry. Yep, your list looks about right.
  • snake in the grass
    noun

A treacherous person.A deceitful or treacherous person.
  • snake in the grass
    noun

• @hank: really good points regarding the "whys." Your mention of the loss of defined-benefit pensions could be expanded to include the factors that have all but wiped out what we used to call "the middle class." It's not that the social stratum itself has disappeared, but that its influence and its share of the wealth pie have declined precipitously. Union membership has been eviscerated by the Right, the Kochs, the Scott Walkers, etc., to the point that previously loyal Democratic or moderate Republican voters are so dissatisfied that they have turned into voters desperate enough to vote for a demagogue and those who enable him. A Hillary or a Joe don't hold out any hope for people in despair.
  • edited August 2023
    @BenWP - Nice summation.

We watched it happen in slow motion. You’ve explained it much better than I could. I’ll just add that it seemed despicable at the time when several major airlines were allowed to declare bankruptcy with the obvious intention of “restructuring” and re-emerging after shedding the employee pension obligations they had agreed to. It was no secret at the time what they intended to do. Really screwed the pilots and other employees. And, ISTM other businesses followed suit once the path had been cleared in the courts.

I dunno if it’s gotten better, but 5 or 10 years ago there were guys flying commuter jets (under the flag of the majors) and making around $20,000 a year. One operator in Florida that ran commuter flights for United paid the pilots nothing. The poor kids flying the short hop flights needed flying hours to advance so badly they worked for nothing!

Makes me think wealth is never destroyed. It just swims or squirms from the weaker hands to the stronger ones. And now we’re getting into a tune Ray Dalio has been singing for a while. But I’ll stop here.
  • edited August 2023
    Derf said:

snake in the grass
    noun

Right @Derf - However, “The verb ’snake’ is also used when talking about someone behaving in a fiendish, snake-like way.” (from Dictionary.com)

Example: “He snaked his way through the crowd.”

• edited August 2023
    I might peg the era of Gingrich the Newt in the position of House Speaker as the palpable start to the process, but let's not forget the damage done by Ronny Ray-guns. The "Christian" Right. The "Moral Majority." One-issue voting, on abortion. The Repugnant Party started its rebirth back then not as a Party, but as an obstructionist Insurgency. I don't think we as a nation have ever been more divided than right now, except the days surrounding the 1860 election of Lincoln---- a REPUBLICAN, not at all of the same ilk as today's REPUGNANTS....

I do wish the Dems. could manage to sort out the work of championing labor rights and civil rights from the crazy "woke" stuff, though. It started out with good intentions. But now, there have been (for example) Bills introduced to prohibit "discrimination" on the basis of HAIRSTYLES. ("CROWN" Act.) Jayzuz.
    I carry water for neither of them. But the Repugnants are clearly much worse. Just despicable, shameless.

And here in Hawaii, the "closed" Primary system transparently benefits the Dems, since the State is and has been so DEEPLY BLUE since... forever. But why should I have to choose between the Dems or Repugs---- if I want to VOTE????????? Sucks wet rat fur, I tell you.
  • I think the decline started when Reagan fired the air traffic controllers in 1981. Corporations decided they could treat their employees poorly as well !
  • edited August 2023
    +1

Yes - Thanks for jogging my memory. Me wonders whether rank & file in some other unions were persuaded by rhetoric that this was a dandy idea, not realizing the repercussions would be far reaching and last for many decades.

As others note from time to time, some middle & lower income wage earners often seem to vote against their own self interest.
  • Ronnie promised the moon to the working class, but left the country with massive deficits. A true hood-winking. Old man Bush beats one of the worst candidates the Dems ever nominated and gets to name Clarence Thomas to the SC. Talk about a decline. Today’s NY Times uncovers the truth about how the Justice, whose credit was already maxed out, was able to “buy” an RV so expensive it is normally sold only to those who pay cash for their extravagances. Thomas may not even have a clear title to the vehicle because the “loan” repayment might never have been documented.

I’m proud as hell of my daughter’s law degree, but I’m not proud that she put herself through what is now the Scalia School of Law. Fortunately she crossed all the T’s and qualified for full forgiveness of her loans; you can bet your bippy that no Heritage Society members were involved in legislating the program to reward true public service.
  • edited August 2023
    SC justices can be impeached just like members of the executive branch. Don’t look to exotic cures like packing the court or limiting terms. Those end-arounds IMHJ would worsen matters and amplify the unwanted political component.

I favor impeachment. But don’t look for it from these lawless Rs in Congress. As Cassius aptly declared, ”The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves,”

In this case, he might have said “in the halls of Congress”.
  • Let me add to carew388 post. I remember when "the border was open & jobs" shipped to Mexico didn't help the working man !! NAFTA I believe it went by, 1992 signed .
  • edited August 2023
    Derf said:

Let me add to carew388 post. I remember when "the border was open & jobs" shipped to Mexico didn't help the working man !! NAFTA I believe it went by, 1992 signed .

Not sure about the point here. But NAFTA became a dirty word for many.

Gosh, the late 80s and 90s seem so uncomplicated in retrospect. Probably an illusion. But Bush v Gore in 2000 was perhaps an early indication of problems brewing. Settled peacefully. And than there was the 9/11 attack the next year. Worst day I can remember in my life. (JFK’s assignation’s a close second). But the country pulled together Today? Hell …

For the most part, the era leading up to 2000 I recall as one of prosperity for most working Americans. Politics were conducted in a civil manner. Stocks climbed higher and a lot of working class people rejoyced in watching their 401Ks grow. When a “scandal” can engulf the entire nation and consume the media dialogue day after day over a Prez f’ing around with a legally aged female, you know that, overall, things were going pretty smoothly..

Mexico? I’m all for a healthy Mexican economy. It’s in our best interest. But, yes, it seemed repugnant to see U.S. jobs being shipped there. I did not know it when I bought it, but was later surprised to learn that a really sweet 2008 Mercury Milan was Mexican built. A nice well put-together car. So much better than the garbage Detroit turned out during the 70s, 80s and 90s.
  • @hank: that’s quite a tribute to a Mercury, a brand that hotrodders loved in my teen years. It did not retain its cachet. A friend of mine got stuck with a Mercury SUV lemon, manufactured north of the border, no doubt. Once he could afford to unload it he was delighted with his new Accord.
  • edited August 2023
    BenWP said:

@hank: that’s quite a tribute to a Mercury, a brand that hotrodders loved in my teen years. It did not retain its cachet. A friend of mine got stuck with a Mercury SUV lemon, manufactured north of the border, no doubt. Once he could afford to unload it he was delighted with his new Accord.

The Mercury Milan (beginning in 2006) was simply an up-style Ford Fusion. In latter years Fords and Mercurys were the same car under the skin. Fusion / Milan were introduced in 2006. Ford had partnered with Nissan Mazda a few years earlier who was involved in the development. Helps explain the nice quiet tight frame. Ford did learn a lot about building cars during that partnership. It only lasted a few years.

I liked Ford products despite the quality issues over the years. Wish they still produced sedans.Taurus was an OK car. Gave one a look in 2018 before buying the Honda. One concern was how well Ford might back the car - since they were no longer selling sedans - in the U.S. anyway.
  • Per Wikipedia(not always accurate I know), the Milan was built on the Ford CD3 platform, a variant of the Mazda GG platform.
  • Thanks @carew388. I was wrong. Remember now. It was Mazda!