Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tech’s existential threat to humanity

Jaron Lanier, an American computer scientist, has very dark thoughts regarding the Internet as it has evolved to it's present form. His views are a bit extreme, but not completely unrealistic.

Following are edited excerpts from an article in The Guardian
Jaron Lanier, an eminent American computer scientist, composer and artist, is no stranger to skepticism around social media, but his current interpretations of its effects are becoming darker and his warnings more trenchant.

Lanier, a dreadlocked free-thinker credited with coining the term “virtual reality”, has long sounded dire sirens about the dangers of a world over-reliant on the internet and at the increasing mercy of tech lords, their social media platforms and those who work for them. He says that “We’re putting the fundamental quality of humanness through a process with an inherent incentive for corruption and degradation.

The exaggerated focus on Twitter in recent months after its chaotic take over by billionaire Elon Musk follows longstanding concerns about Facebook and others, including state actors. He mentions “psychological operatives” working for Vladimir Putin and the Chinese communist state apparatus. All of them are filtering or promoting information for their own gains. In short, the web is not a free market of information as originally envisioned. It is a gamed system being rampantly abused.

Lanier helped create modern ideologies – Web 2.0 futurism, digital utopianism, among them. But he is no longer a fan of how the digital utopia is coming along. He’s called it “digital Maoism” and accused tech giants like Facebook and Google of being “spy agencies”. And he’s been brutally clear about what he sees as the consequences of over-dependence on social media: in essence, you’ll get both popular cat videos and civil war.

Lanier has “observed a change, or really a narrowing, in the public behavior of people who use Twitter or other social media a lot”. He singled out people who have recently been in the news: Elon Musk, Donald Trump and Ye (Kanye West). Once distinct personalities, he wrote, each had “veered into being bratty little boys” in their public behavior – a result perhaps of being “Twitter poisoned”, a more contemporary term for operant* conditioning.

“I have noticed that all these people converge on a similar personality type that wasn’t present before. If that has something to do with social media addictions, or Twitter poisoning, what is that?” he wrote.

Coming from someone who has over the years described himself as “worried optimist”, his interpretations come with weight.

Notes-
Operant: behavior that is initially spontaneous, but whose consequences reinforce recurrence of that behavior
• Textual emphasis was added.

Comments

• In my opinion Jaron Lanier's cognitive abilities are somewhere between outstanding and astounding. Over the past 2 decades his ability to understand public sentiment and to envision the likelihood of the social and political outcomes of a manipulated and poorly informed public exceed anything I have personally encountered. So yeah, "his interpretations come with weight" and, unfortunately, I think his views are probably not unrealistic. How I wish they were.
  • @Ben- To be honest, I had never heard of Mr. Lanier prior to reading this article. I was fascinated to find someone of his stature validating conversations that my wife and I have had for a long time now regarding the dangerous and increasingly dystopian influence of the social internet as it has unfortunately evolved.
  • Same here!
  • @Old_Joe - thank you for posting this illuminating article. Especially appreciated the NY Times article linked within.
  • Didn't need be but, alas, will be. Human is not a viable species.
  • "Human is not a viable species."

@Anna- You must be listening in to our dinner table conversations. And we don't even have Alexa or Siri. You must be CIA or NSA. Stop that! :)
  • Hint - Some SF insects and spiders have AI connections to their sensors. Be afraid; be very afraid. Spiders and lady bugs as well as the infamous (sic) earwig are everywhere. (Roaches don't make good recruits.)
  • @Anna- don't mention earwigs- I've been petrified by those things since I was a kid.

Almost unbelievable but true: Some years ago I had mowed about half of the large backyard up at our weekend place, ran out of energy, and left the rest until the next day.
    I left my earcover headset hanging on on the lawnmower handle.

The next day I went to finish up the mowing, put on the headset, and a few minutes later felt something crawling around in my ear. Yes- overnight a couple of earwigs had crawled into the earcovers and were now crawling around in my ear. I damn near fainted.

You can safely bet that ever since I've really checked those earcovers before putting on that thing.
  • Actually, I have been following this thread and shaking my head at the way the impossible species, human, might fail to see the light before darkness becomes our future. I did a Google for robot bees just to show an example of how something robotic and focused could become a stopgap solution to, hopefully, temporary problems. This type of idea of using robotic bees has been knocked around for years even before bee colony problems arose (most probably in defense applications). Nevertheless, the one distinguishing feature I can find in human, while perhaps not unique, is far advance than other species. It is the feature that social engineering strives to suppress. Man's creativity. When human is freed from survival tasks, he can choose to create. But he doesn't. Human even is beginning to demonize anything creative and anyone who is creative. (Note, how he uses the result of that creativity he demonizes as a vehicle for the demonization. Perhaps, the most destructive use of human creativity.)
    Tiny flying robot bees are being built to pollinate crops
  • edited November 2022
    Twitter will no longer enforce COVID misinformation policy

A complete and unedited section of a current report in the San Francisco Chronicle
    In the latest change under Elon Musk’s ownership, Twitter will no longer enforce a longstanding policy to curb the spread of falsehoods about COVID-19. “Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy,” read a note on Twitter’s transparency page. Practically, that means the flailing social media service will no longer remove or flag posts with misleading health information related to the coronavirus or lifesaving vaccines, reversing an effort that was put into place in December 2020. Before Musk took over, Twitter reported in September that it had suspended 11,230 accounts and removed 100,000 misleading posts under the policy. Twitter's massive reach had provided a fertile ground for spreading conspiracy theories and science-denying falsehood about the virus and the government efforts to combat it.
  • yes. we are doomed. Doink-brains in charge.