Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So... Are the past couple of days upward just a head-fake?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2022
    @catch22, to be precise Paxlovid is a anti-viral medication (similar to those anti-HIV medication, often referred to as cocktail = several drugs taken simultaneously). This one was found to be more effective (70% effective) against COVID than several other anti-viral drugs on the market. The earlier ones as I recall were not as effective to stop hospitalization. Paxlovid is designed to supplement vaccination, not the other way around, especially for those are vulnerable and/or have preexisting medical conditions.

Don’t think John was referring to the horse de-worming medication, ivermectin and that is for parasite treatment.
  • edited October 2022
    I have Paxlovid box & insert. It is a combo oral and each dose is:

300mg nirmatrelvir (2 x 150mg) - it is the Covid antiviral. It interferes with the process of Covid replication in other cells. So, Paxloid must be started within 5 days on initial infection, or it is ineffective. It doesn't kill Covid virus as such.

100mg ritonavir - it is the old HIV drug that is used here to suppress clearance of the above antiviral. It is this part of Paxlovid that causes interactions with other drugs (for cholesterol, blood pressure, heart, etc) whose clearances in the liver are also delayed. So, those other meds have to be reduced or stopped.

Paxlovid rebound is also a known effect - Covid symptoms may return after 5-day course of Paxlovid and all Covid tests may be positive (Home, Rapid, PCR) as body adjust to Paxlovid withdrawal. This is transient and not serious for the patients but others around better be careful as they can catch Covid.
  • I am about to dive into that article, thanks; but the consensus among Boston-area docs I know is (was) that it simply is the result of not taking enough paxlovid, not a true rebound, same as not taking full course of antibio for strep throat, say.

The thing I enjoyed / did not always enjoy in taking it is that it made everything taste like sugarfree tonic (quinine) water.
  • The thing I enjoyed / did not always enjoy in taking it is that it made everything taste like sugarfree tonic (quinine) water.

I could appreciate that, if sufficiently spaced-out through the day. Double entendre intended.
  • edited October 2022
    Only the antibodies created from your own immune system can kill COVID viruses. Omicron specific vaccines are designed to recognize the spike protein‘s DNA sequences in order to create that specific antibody. The T-cells can do the same but the exact mechanisms are not well understood on COVID. Anti-viral drugs reduce the RNA replication of the virus, thus slow down the infection. That is why early treatment is required. Remdesivir made by Merck and a few other anti-viral drugs are not as specific and effective against COVID, thus they were not widely used until Paxlovid came along.
  • @Sven @yogibearbull
    Thanks for the follow up info. I am familiar with the mix in Paxlovid, as several folks I know have used the product.
    John's write is very confusing and I am was trying to understand what he intended to write, as the sentence structure is awkward.
  • @Catch22
    Yes sir.. Was trying to say that if you don't better after few days of paxlovid treatments and get worse probably need to get back with your provider and get the antibody infusion treatments (Fda guidelines for not favor MAB infusion treatments after 9 days) or may get admited due to compromised respiratory status. I think majority of patients do get better if vaccinated and most of the time we see patients get discharge home with supportive care unlike in mid 2020
  • edited October 2022
    @Catch22
    Yes sir.. Was trying to say that if you don't better after few days of paxlovid treatments and get worse probably need to get back with your provider and get the antibody infusion treatments (Fda guidelines for not favor MAB infafter 9 days) or get admited due to compromised respiratory status. I think majority of patients do get better if vaccinated and most of the time we see patients get discharge home with supportive care unlike in mid 2020

The data for paxlovid is very good but against old variants ( ~85% kill rate) , think the pharmacist staff told me not enough data for the new one and could be only 50s% effective.... It's a very large anti hiv pill lots side effects liver kidney failure and many critical drug interactions... You have to stop hormones (oral contraceptives) psyche meds or heart ANTIARRYTH meds / coumadin, cholesterol meds, stomach meds, and antifungal, etc...medications for 5 7 days... Lots stomach upsets

I am not favor with imervecrin nor HCQ... Not much fda approval although India used it in 2020 and they did ok

• The studies have demonstrated decreased hospitalizations and deaths, but as far as I am aware have not shown shortened duration of illness and I am almost certain have not shown less Long Covid.

• Howdy all,

https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/yogibearbull

Sorry about your catching the crud. Wifey and I brought it back from DC in August but like you took Paxlovid and came through fine. Mild cold. We were both fully vaxed and boosted, so that helped. The pisser was I had to postpone my hip replacement surgery for a month. Just got it done October 13th. About an hour and outpatient surgery. Yeah. This is my 2nd. My left was done in 2016 and now the right. John Mesko was my surgeon. He goes in through the side of your hip where it's only bone. The traditional methods are front or back and both have to cut thigh muscles. The greatly extends the recovery period. I used the cane for a couple of days and am about 90% recovered.

Modern medicine can accomplish miracles . . . but you have to see the doctor.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • @rono - So as that finally convinced you not to take things that don't belong to you?
  • Mark said:

@rono - So as that finally convinced you not to take things that don't belong to you?

Huh? Ork? What? I'm afraid I don't follow your non-sequitur.

• Nice to hear from you guys. My 16 replacement was Disney World on steroids. So far, KOW, this dis better. I'm a lucky dog.

SF,,

Rono
  • I hope you will get back to your gymnastics soon and, please, don't forget Christmas.
  • @Crash - taking the crud back home with him from DC
  • Mark said:

@Crash - taking the crud back home with him from DC

Ah.

• Always best to leave crud where it is.
  • Hi @rono
    Glad to read you've recovered from the crud. And thank you for the info regarding the hip replacement. We're not in line for that, but periodically know folks who are; and I was not aware of the method you wrote about.
    AND, at least in our part of town; one of the best fall color seasons I have ever seen in Michigan. Early and now almost gone. For our area, I do believe it had to do with the lack of rain this summer and fall.
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • Ditto, @catch22. This has been as good a season for color in MI as I can remember. Still have not put away the roadster and looking forward to a few more rides.