Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar Portf. Manager speed

Very slow and sluggish, past few days. Anyone else notice?

Comments

• M* portfolio tracker has been “picture perfect” now for several months. No problems. But I don’t use their X-Ray or other features.
  • edited March 2022
    ok. I'm still finding it very slow to respond, to display.
  • I haven't noticed anything unusual. Speed could be connection related.
  • Download: 123.7. Upload 17.7
  • That's one hell of a fast connection. Mine here in SF is only about 10 and 2, and that's plenty fast enough for everything that I'm doing, including watching two Amazon Prime downloads simultaneously (though on relatively small screens).
  • Old_Joe said:

That's one hell of a fast connection. Mine here in SF is only about 10 and 2, and that's plenty fast enough for everything that I'm doing, including watching two Amazon Prime downloads simultaneously (though on relatively small screens).

...Just to be sure: we're talking Mbps. And a repeat test shows 127.6 and 30.5. and i'm in Hawaii, though the test server used is 2500 miles away in Los Angeles. (Speakeasy Speed Test.) ..... Anyhow, the problem has to be with the Morningstar function.
  • Yes, Mbps, and our test is to a local server. One hell of a difference in speeds.
  • @Old_Joe: are you watching two movies at once? Haha!
  • Yes, one with each head. Nah, wife on one, me on other, wiseguy. :-)
  • You're not alone, I'm finding it excruciatingly slow.
  • sfnative said:

You're not alone, I'm finding it excruciatingly slow.

+1.

• Well, @Old_Joe, I know a guy (me) who watches 2 or 3 NCAA bball games at once the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament.
  • edited March 2022
    I noticed sluggishness the past few days.
    Perhaps Vanguard IT personnel recently started working at M* or vice-versa?

Edit: Just checked Portfolio Manager - it's very responsive at this time.
    That's all well and good, but I'm seeing a tremendous amount of red today! :-(
  • My biggest M* frustration is the "interactive chart" under Quote for most securities and mutual funds freezes and won't load.
  • sma3 said:

My biggest M* frustration is the "interactive chart" under Quote for most securities and mutual funds freezes and won't load.

...Something ELSE not to like. I notice (in my own case) the interactive chart loads pretty quickly, but often there is statistical data that takes forever to load on the "quote" page. But people here on MFO are telling me I have amazing speed on my internet connection.
  • edited March 2022
    @Crash- I'm just saying that your internet speed is at least ten times faster than ours, but I really don't know what the available range of speeds is, or what's considered fast or slow.

We don't have any large screen or high definition video equipment, so we contract for the cheapest service tier provided by AT&T Uverse. All we really wanted when we signed up was reasonably fast internet browsing and email. We didn't anticipate watching streaming video at the time, but since Amazon Prime Video was available with a fair amount of "free" content we later started streaming from Amazon and PBS. Our speed (bandwidth) is enough to simultaneously watch two separate streaming video feeds, but the largest screens are only standard resolution 27", so it doesn't take all that much bandwidth to drive those.

If we wanted to use the very large high-definition screens we would likely have to pay for greater bandwidth/speed.

Additional info: I just took a quick look at this site, which says:
    We’ve gathered official figures from many of the most popular streaming services currently available to the public. Obviously, we do not feature every service on this list, but what we’ve seen seems to suggest a standardized range of data usage.

Netflix: Netflix provides specific estimates for each of its streaming settings. Standard definition uses up to 0.3 GB per hour. High definition (720p) uses up to 1 GB per hour. Full HD (1080p) uses up to 3 GB per hour. UHD (4K) uses up to 7 GB per hour.

DirectTV Stream: DirectTV recommends a minimum of 8 Mbps to deliver an “optimal viewing experience.”

Amazon Prime Video: Prime Video recommends a minimum download speed of 1 Mbps for SD content and 5 Mbps for HD content. Prime Video says it will serve the highest quality streaming experience possible based on the bandwidth speed available.

YouTube: YouTube recommends 1.1 Mbps for SD, 2.5 Mbps for HD 720p, 5 Mbps for Full HD 1080p, and 20 Mbps for 4K.

Disney+: On Disney Plus, Standard definition streams use approximately 0.7 GB per hour. Full HD streams use approximately 2 GB of data per hour. UHD (4K) streams will use approximately 7.7 GB of data per hour.

Peacock: Peacock recommends at least 2.5 Mbps of bandwidth for HD streaming.

Hulu: Hulu looks for 3 Mbps for Hulu’s Streaming Library, 8 Mbps for live streams, 16 Mbps for 4K content.

HBO Max: HBO Max recommends a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps to stream HD video. For the best 4K streaming experience, it calls for a download speed of 50 Mbps or higher.
    Note that we do not use smartphones, so so not have any data plan for those.
  • Re-test:
    Down: 134.2 Mbps
    Up: 45.4 Mbps.
    ...Just for the record. So much better than what I had to deal with at the previous apartment.
  • ......And again, on Saturday, 26th March, '22: M* is a disaster. Freezes-up, goes nowhere.
  • Currently working ok for me on 03/26 @ 9:00 PM PDT.
  • I gotta say that I'm amazed at how low those numbers are! This are my WiFi numbers at my daughter's place in Va (verizon FIOS):

DL: 452 Mbs
    UL: 211 Mbs

They tell me their wired numbers are much better.

My home numbers are similar to these (also FIOS WiFi). Old_Joe, you sure your numbers aren't MBs rather than Mbs (multiply by 8)?
  • Speed tests are from test servers nearby.

Real web is distributed in nature. Lot of web content is distributed via regional/local hosts. So, some sites may be slow if they are not being served through a nearby host. Speed tests won't catch that.
  • edited March 2022
    @racqueteer- All I can tell you is that the speed test numbers come back shown as "Mbps", using two or three different speed test sites.

We are using AT&T "Uverse", which uses fiber to a point near our home, and then dumps the high-speed data onto the copper telephone lines that feed the house. Those copper lines run for at least a block, or maybe a bit more, and are ancient.

Here is some info that I copied from the "Uverse" site. Our speeds are very close to the "Tier 10" specs.

Internet speed
    Each internet service option has a different service capability speed range. The term speed describes the rate a particular broadband internet access service can transmit data. This capacity is measured by the number of kilobits (Kbps), megabits (Mbps), or gigabits (Gbps) that can be transmitted in one second.

Most high-speed broadband services (IPBB) deliver internet through a hybrid fiber and copper network. IPBB provides users with faster download speeds compared to traditional DSL service. All speed tiers are asymmetrical (the download and upload speeds are different).

AT&T Speed Tier: Internet 10
    Expected Speeds:
    Download: 10
    Upload: 1
  • edited March 2022
    Old_Joe said:

We don't have any large screen or high definition video equipment, so we contract for the cheapest service tier provided by AT&T Uverse. All we really wanted when we signed up was reasonably fast internet browsing and email.

Than you might enjoy this …

“Due to excessive levels of inflation, the price of the Starlink kit is increasing from $499 to $549 for deposit holders, and $599 for all new orders, effective today. In addition, the Starlink monthly service price will increase from $99 to $110. The new price will apply to your subscription on 5/8/2022.”

Gottcha!

(Story was also covered in the WSJ. Their rocket launches also went up in price.)

Sorry folks are having trouble with the M* tracker. I’m not as tech savy as OJ. No idea why that would be. Works wonderfully for me on wifi and not bad either on cellular when out of the house. One wonders why the importance of speed? I guess if you’re doing a lot of day trading it makes a difference. But I wouldn’t trust those minute by minute price changes enough to trade off them. Can always log in to your brokerage for better price info.

I also pay for a portfolio tracking app as a backup. More bells and whistles, but tends to lag M* in timely quotes. And it doesn’t always display more thinly traded etfs.

PS - just running off a router roughly 25 feet away I range anywhere from 35 - 200 mbps. Probably has a lot to do with location of the satellites which constantly traverse the horizon (one every minute or two).
  • And..... Just before midnight Eastern Time, Sunday night, 27 March, I can report that the goddam thing is frozen again.
  • 5:00 p.m. in the East, Monday, 28 March. Frozen again. Feces.
  • msf
    edited March 2022
    Just out of curiosity can you try pinging www.morningstar.com and running tracert (Windows) or traceroute (Unix/linix)? These are run from a command line prompt, e.g.

ping www.morningstar.com

These tests won't show throughput but rather latency - how long it takes to get a response back as opposed to how fast the data flows once it starts coming. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see if these are failing also.

These failed when I tried a couple of days ago but since then I've gotten speedy responses.

https://www.fortinet.com/resources/cyberglossary/traceroutes
  • Thanks, @msf. I catch your description. But doing anything with that is just beyond my pay-grade.