Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Photo maybe worth 1,000 words - from Tuesday’s WSJ

edited March 2022 in Off-Topic
Caption: Russian President Vladimir Putin chairing a meeting on economic issues Monday in Moscow

From Article: “The West’s Sanctions Barrage Severs Russia’s Economy From Much of the World”

Comments

• I wonder what those buttons under the table do? I'm sure they serve a practical purpose, but the whole photo does have a James Bond villain in his lair quality to it.
  • Sometime in the last couple of weeks I read an article (can't remember where) commenting on, and wondering why, in the recent weeks all of Putin's meetings seem to have him seated at the end of very long tables with lots of separation from anyone else.

When I had seen pictures of his meetings with western leaders, Macron for example, where he was separated from the French president by a very long table I had conjectured it was some sort of psychological statement emphasizing the gulf between their perspectives.

That wouldn't be the case with his own people, though. That article I mentioned put the whole thing in a different light. I wonder what this is all about.

• edited March 2022
    One commentator on PBS (I get the Chicago outlet) suggested the photo’s a sign he’s facing opposition / push-back to the war from his closest advisors and is disregarding them. They seemed to have some corroboration to that effect.

I like LB’s suggestion better. Look’s right out of James Bond. Disagree with the master and you’ll be promptly whisked off to a torturous dungeon at the mere touch of a button.

(Looking at that floor pattern, I can visualize trap-doors throughout the room.)
  • If in fact he is facing internal opposition, he surely wouldn't want to suggest that to the outside world. I don't put much credence in that particular theory.
  • edited March 2022
    Old_Joe said:

If in fact he is facing internal opposition, he surely wouldn't want to suggest that to the outside world. I don't put much credence in that particular theory.

I’d agree.

Alternative theory - All the generals who’d normally be seated at the table are off prosecuting the war … ?

Umm …That doesn’t work either - because the meeting’s supposedly about economics.
  • On the other hand: dated March 2nd...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10570523/Ukraine-President-Zelenskys-aide-pens-NY-Times-essay-bunker-says-sanctions-not-enough.html

I was looking for the picture I saw of Z. at the dining table with the troops. Dunno how fresh that shot was.

• That table reminds me of a bowling alley. Maybe it's for that point in time when heads will roll.
  • Mark said:

That table reminds me of a bowling alley. Maybe it's for that point in time when heads will roll.

Roll down the table to take out the one bowling pin left sitting at the other end?