Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Metaverse Is a $1 Trillion Revenue Opportunity.

beebee
edited December 2021 in Fund Discussions
Has the mutual fund METAX been formed yet? It's coming...
First, a short primer on the history of the internet and where we believe it’s headed. The earliest days of the internet, known as Web 1.0, were characterized by static, one-way webpages—think Netscape and Yahoo. Users were little more than passive observers.

Next came Web 2.0, the period we’re currently in. Controlled by a disproportionately small number of companies (Facebook, YouTube, etc.), the internet of today is highly centralized despite users’ role as an active participant.

That brings us to Web 3.0, which will usher in a whole new level of experience that, to some people, may sound more like Tron than real life.
the-metaverse-is-a-1-trillion-revenue-opportunity-heres-how-to-invest

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Although I can see investing in the future hardware and software companies to support Web 3.0 there is absolutely no way that I will be shelling out actual $USD to visualize some digital reality adorned with equally digital NFT's. Call me old-fashioned but I would rather spend my actual $USD on a trip to Australia and New Zealand.
  • @Mark...Agree. Non "Fun"-gible Tokens.

You can't even close-pin them to your bike like the Fun tokens we collected/traded as a kid.

• @bee: I’m trying to remember the schoolyard game we played with baseball cards. I recall tossing the cards against a wall with the aim of getting a “leaner,” which entitled the thrower to all the cards in the game. Obviously not possible with some digital image. Jog my memory…

• beebee
    edited December 2021
    @BenWP
    Here's something I found:
    Try tossing cards. This game requires two to five players. Begin by marking a line about 6 to 12 feet from a wall. Decide how many cards each player will have for each round. Player One stands behind the line, then tosses each card (individually) towards the wall. The game continues with each player tossing his own cards. Whoever is closest to the wall wins. An ideal position is when the card lands leaning against the wall; however, other players can knock it out of place to steal the win.
    play-baseball-cards-6125430
  • Thank you kindly, @bee. If I were clever enough I could find all the stuff I thought was lost to the ravages of time right on the internet!! That’s the game we played, maybe with a Mickey Mantle rookie card worth big bucks today.
  • edited December 2021

Deleted
  • bee said:

Has the mutual fund METAX been formed yet? It's coming...

First, a short primer on the history of the internet and where we believe it’s headed. The earliest days of the internet, known as Web 1.0, were characterized by static, one-way webpages—think Netscape and Yahoo. Users were little more than passive observers.

Next came Web 2.0, the period we’re currently in. Controlled by a disproportionately small number of companies (Facebook, YouTube, etc.), the internet of today is highly centralized despite users’ role as an active participant.

That brings us to Web 3.0, which will usher in a whole new level of experience that, to some people, may sound more like Tron than real life.
    the-metaverse-is-a-1-trillion-revenue-opportunity-heres-how-to-invest

There is the ETF META

https://www.roundhillinvestments.com/etf/meta/
  • edited December 2021
    Somewhere in the board room during the new fund pitch, an analyst stirring the leaves at the bottom of his tea cup and staring at them said, "I think it's an $800 billion Revenue Opportunity by my projections" while another looking at her coffee grounds said, "I think $900 billion," and the boss said "Let's make it an even $1 trillion for marketing purposes. That'll catch their eye."
  • I had never heard of RoundHill before. They have a suite of funds trying to profit from the latest crazy idea, to wit: NERD for esports, BETZ for sports gambling, and DEEP which follows something called the Acquirers Deep Value Index. This index purports to identify small and micro caps that are (duh) undervalued and possible acquisition targets. Thanks, @Chinfist, for providing me a few moments of levity during these stressful days.