Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DSEEX Drop?

Massive drop on big up day (12/7)...MS shows the fund gained but the price drop was shocking (like 20%). Seems like this has to be some type of distribution but I can't find anything saying so. Any ideas?

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Year end distribution. You'll find info on it in the Shadows thread here. Look under Doubleline Funds.
  • Thank you! That's a sick distribution, thankfully I hold "most" of mine in a tax deferred account.
  • It uses derivatives for equity exposure. So, much of the capital gain shows up as realized CG. Check its history.
    This is the same issue with many Pimco equity funds. It is best to hold such funds in tax-deferred/free accounts.
  • It uses derivatives for equity exposure. So, much of the capital gain shows up as realized CG. Check its history.
    This is the same issue with many Pimco equity funds. It is best to hold such funds in tax-deferred/free accounts.

Yes, I'm aware of the Pimco issue (long time holder of PSLDX) but I don't recall this issue with DSEEX, at least not to this extent, I don't think I've ever seen a Pimco distribution this large either.
  • Well, not so large, but there have been high distributions in its history:

2017 $1.06
    2018 $1.53
    2019 $0.39
    2020 $0
    2021 $4.79

Drops for 2017, 2018, 2021 are noticeable in Stockcharts with the start date of 1/1/17 (reset if defaults to 1 yr), https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=DSEEX&compare=_DSEEX&id=p74276459757
  • The huge distribution this year would have taken me by surprise. In addition to the December payout, shareholders of DSEEX also pay taxes on the monthly distributions. When I owned this strategy I had a portion in the ETN (CAPE) which paid out nothing at year end. CAPE has outperformed its MF Doubleline brethren since it debuted in 2012, but ETNs carry the risk of being dissolved by the issuer with little notice and the risk of the issuer (Barclays in this case) failing. Trading CAPE shares requires a certain amount of time and effort; this fund trades in low volumes, so getting a good purchase or sale price can be frustrating, somewhat like trading a jumpy small cap stock. I think CAPE has proven its mettle, but it’s not for most fund investors.
  • >> ETNs carry the risk of being dissolved by the issuer with little notice and the risk of the issuer (Barclays in this case) failing.

What would that mean here? What could one lose? What are you saying?
  • Investopedia has articles comparing etfs and etns ETNS are unsecured debt notes issued by an institution and are subject to the credit rating of the underwriter. I admit I don't really understand etns, which is why I stick to etfs , oefs and individual stocks.
  • I'm looking forward to Vanguard crediting the distribution to DSEEX in my IRA account one of these days.
  • >> ETNs carry the risk of being dissolved by the issuer with little notice and the risk of the issuer (Barclays in this case) failing.

What would that mean here? What could one lose? What are you saying?

ETN's are underwritten by banks and can and have gone belly up. Not the same as an ETF. In other words, aside from the assets held by the ETN faltering, the ETN itself has risks, major ones, and I have not and never will touch one.
  • ETNs are IOUs or liabilities of sponsors. They promise to pay according to performance of related indexes. But no assets are held. Sponsors do some hedging but otherwise are free to use the money raised as they wish. If index is down sharply, and you may want to hang on, sponsor may just shut the ETN. It it does too well, sponsor may stop/restrict issuance of new ETN shares. So what sponsors can do is an added complication.
  • I know the theory, which is why I added “here“. How would it work?
  • >> I have not and never will touch one

Is owning DSEEX not worrisome? (Aside from 'price drop was shocking .... Seems like this has to be some type of distribution but I can't find anything saying so. Any ideas?')

• On your second question, M* shows the fund distributed more than the price drop because NAV gained some that day.
  • was quoting, not querying !
  • Is there an etf version of CAPE etn ?
  • There was a filing in mid-2021 for a CEF (not ETF or ETN) clone of DSEEX. https://sec.report/Document/0001193125-21-187083/
  • @davidmoran: DSEEX being a mutual fund, I suppose the sponsor could shut it down, but the shareholders would get back what their holdings are worth. IDNK what happens to the holders of an ETN if the issuer decides to fold it. In the case of CAPE, Barclays is not seemingly a bank likely to suddenly fail (nor was Lehman Brothers…).

Thanks to all for the useful information you’ve added.
  • msf is the one who has explained this weirdness the best:

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/258620822

As one who has had quite a bit of money in both CAPE and DSEEX I was curious (a little) about the OP and then the followup about utter failure yada yada, but now thinking I were better not to have queried, as it all seems uninformed.
  • Very interesting.
  • @yogibearbull: thanks for that link to the DoubleLine filing. The derivative and options strategies described in the filing sound very complicated, but maybe the same sort of thing has been going on in DSEEX and CAPE all along. ("I would be shocked to learn that gambling has been going on in our funds," said the unflappable spokesperson.) On top of those complications is the CEF format, one which usually favors the issuer of a new fund, but not the early shareholders. As the vast majority of CEFs invest in fixed income and seek yield, it is not surprising that this prospectus for the DoubleLine Shiller Cape Enhanced Income Fund lists generation of income as its first mentioned purpose. Capital appreciation appears to take up the rear as a goal.

• I thought DSEEX is an oef ?
  • >> I have not and never will touch one

Is owning DSEEX not worrisome? (Aside from 'price drop was shocking .... Seems like this has to be some type of distribution but I can't find anything saying so. Any ideas?')

I've owned DSEEX since inception, and held on even when it underperformed and some bailed. Very happy with this one, it's no PSLDX (same concept) but I'm not willing to put all my eggs in that basket! (Also like that DSEEX throws off some monthly juice, best to hold in tax free account...but I actually have some in taxable as well.)
  • @carew388: I referred to the link in @yogibearbull’s post in which DoubleLine provides a prospectus for a CEF using the Schiller Cape strategy.

Kudos to @wxman123 for hanging tough with the strategy. I chickened out.
  • edited December 2021
    wxman123 said:

>> I have not and never will touch one

>> I've owned DSEEX since inception
    You still have not gone into your reconciliation of these two opposing statements of faith, have you? Since the mfund sorta is / sorta is not half (+/-) composed of the dreaded, could-totally-fail ETN.
  • wxman123 said:

>> I have not and never will touch one

>> I've owned DSEEX since inception
    You still have not gone into your reconciliation of these two opposing statements of faith, have you? Since the mfund sorta is / sorta is not half (+/-) composed of the dreaded, could-totally-fail ETN.
    I do not and would not own an ETN. If a mutual fund owns an ETN it may or may not be an issue for me, but I am unaware that DSEEX is half ETN as you imply, or if the ETNS are a basket as contrasted with only one. For comparison, while I am willing to buy a HY bond fund, I would not put sizable assets into a single HY bond. Generally speaking, there is little reason to risk issuer failure for an ETN when similar products are available in an ETF or CEF wrapper (if you want leverage) with no such risk.
  • Not sure that's a good comparison, but there is a ton to read here about possible issuers' defaults:

https://doc.morningstar.com/docdetail.aspx?clientid=schwab&key=84b36f1bf3830e07&cusip=258620822

vs

https://www.finra.org/investors/alerts/exchange-traded-notes-avoid-unpleasant-surprises

and maybe the fund does have risk 'advantages'.