Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Time to sell or buy ?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2021
    Mark said:

I see little reason to be nibbling at AMZN at this time other than it's down a bit. Nothing in the charts say that it's moving higher, in fact the opposite. I can wait.

Agreed, technicals don't look so good right now.

BUT...12-month price targets were only lowered mildy by some, and most are still in the 4,300 to 4,700 range, or about a 35% gain from today's close.

As they say, bells aren't rung at market (or individual stock) tops or bottoms. While you're apparently eagerly awaiting an interim bottom, I bought an extra slice of AMZN DOWN over 8% from Wednesday's close.
  • edited July 2021
    I also nibbled on AMZN today. The ability to buy partial shares is kinda nice for small-time buyers (like myself). Would be happy to see it below 3000 per share - then I'd buy whole shares.
  • No stillers I'm not waiting, eagerly or otherwise. That puppy has a lot further to trend in reverse before I'd be interested.
  • I’ve been adding to FSMEX
  • Hi @PopTart
    Medical Tech. continues to be a yes at this house, too; and is 19% of our equity holdings.
    Hope all is well with you and yours.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited July 2021
    Mark said:

No stillers I'm not waiting, eagerly or otherwise. That puppy has a lot further to trend in reverse before I'd be interested.

Hmmm...

First you posted

"Nothing in the charts say that it's moving higher, in fact the opposite. I can wait"

but now you're

"not waiting, eagerly or otherwise."

OK, got it.

Regardless, you sure seem to be certain of AMZN's stock demise.

My mentor used to tell me lot of stuff in the early '80's. One of his favorites was, "The one thing that will kill any investment strategy is the investor's certainty of the future."

Good luck with all that.
  • AMZN could go down a long way without it being its demise. The stock has a market cap of $1.7 trillion and a forward p/e of 56. Let’s say it fell 2/3 or 66%. That would give it a closer to normal p/e of almost 19 and a still sizable market cap of $570 billion.
  • Hi @catch22 - Thanks for the well wishes, same for you!
  • @stillers - let me see if I can clear up any confusion for you.

You said "Added to my AMZN position with it DOWN 7+% early this AM.

If a LT investor didn't at least nibble in AMZN this AM..."

As a LT investor (I assumed that you mean 'long term' investor) which I tend to be, I took a look at current charts and noted that there wasn't any evidence that compelled me to want to throw any funds toward an additional purchase. I could wait. What I failed to add to that comment was that I already have plenty of shares purchased at much, much lower prices. My bad.

You then inferred "While you're apparently eagerly awaiting an interim bottom,". I tried to correct that by stating I wasn't waiting eagerly or otherwise again failing to include the fact that I already have plenty.

Then you stated "Regardless, you sure seem to be certain of AMZN's stock demise." Well no, I am not but nothing currently leads me to believe that the only path forward for AMZN is upward. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but this LT investor does not claim to be as astute as you and your mentor.

I hope that helps because I'd sure hate to see you get hurt falling off your high horse.
  • I'm sticking with my rather BORING portfolio. One single stock, which represents an EM play in an electric utility company--- now less than 1% of total. The rest is TRP mutual funds, plus my wife's IRA in BRUFX. I've never been higher. Granted, the Market is crazy, irrational, frothy, driven by lunacy, jerking back and forth and up and down. But the Market ALWAYS overreacts, both to the upside and downside. Friday sucked. But so what? I just will not go chasing stuff. I've got no bird dog, and my vision cannot see around corners. I'm 11% in foreign equities, that's all. 55% in bonds. The fund managers do have some small bets on some "short" plays. I'll let them.
  • edited August 2021
    BORING is the name of the game. No good value out there, and assets continue inflating anyway. Bought some more HRSAX and MWFSX. Yawn.
    Got back into V today, which I always say I'm gonna hold forever, but never do.

Gave up on MERFX and BALPX - not sure what is going on with merger arb funds.

Can't we get a decent pullback in stock prices - is that too much to ask, Mr. Powel....errrrr, Mr. Market?
  • edited September 2021
    Mark said:

@stillers - let me see if I can clear up any confusion for you...

...I hope that helps because I'd sure hate to see you get hurt falling off your high horse.

The view from my "high horse" (sic) shows I'm UP ~4% since my last BIG dip BUY on July 30.

Simply, throw away the charts and belly up to the bar when the likes of AMZN, AAPL, MSFT or the like get whacked by an 8% plunge after a revenue miss.

• edited September 2021
    d