Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best Broad Market Funds to invest now?

Small or large cap?

Comments

• With valuations in everything so high, over 20% of the SP500 in 5 stocks, margin debt at record levels and volatility falling, I am sitting on the sidelines. Once the FED just "mentions" tapering, there will be a significant correction. I am not sure even then I will jump.

• I'm using etfs like CDC MGV and ESGV to avoid mutual fund erfs .
  • Yes, what I have invested will stay invested. But I'm not buying at these levels, apart from a monthly auto-scheduled $100 into bond fund PTIAX. I am majority-bonds these days. After a day like today, I guess I'm glad about that! (Tues. 04 May, '21.)
  • I have 2 funds in my taxable account. VTCLX and VTMFX and one I haven't added VTMSX.
  • Do you all expect to hold any bond funds?
  • Yes, been holding them for years, and now into retirement. Reduces the volatility, and the dividends make it easy to wait for better days for bond funds. I can own bonds at pretty damn good interest rates through the funds, which I could not do on my own--- since I'm not independently wealthy. PRSNX. RPSIX. PTIAX. Plus bonds held in balanced funds PRWCX and BRUFX.

current yields:
    PRSNX. 3.04%
    RPSIX. 2.73%
    PTIAX 3.81%
    PRWCX. 1.01%
    BRUFX. 1.92%

(And when did this goddam computer decide FOR me where I wanted periods inserted--- where they DON'T belong?) DAMN machines.

• I have been on the sidelines 90% or more for 51 weeks now, alas, alas, but on a recent dip just stuck 20% into VONV, fwiw
  • I, too, would use ETFs as have @carew388 and @davidmoran for new purchases. CDC makes sense, as do other value leaning funds: AVUS, DSTL and COWZ for large caps; AVUD, CSB, and CALF for small caps. For dividend-focused funds, I like VIG and SCHD.
  • and sold it on the uptick
  • +1 David.
  • ty, but har, I say

Luck of the market plus a little bit of my paying attention and assessing the froth.

(have been misassessing it again and again and again for over a year now of course)

Shiller p/e is meaningless, but I am thinking it will not stay near 39 forever, ffs. He said.