Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I always follow the old adage - when you're unsure of what to do, do nothing.
  • edited November 2020
    "“This is a great example of how aggregate numbers can hide important facts,” Colas writes."

Nope, we have seen it several times before. Stock short term moves (months and sometimes even years) don't have a high correlation to..............PE, PE10, valuation, inverted yield, inflation, recession, the economy, all sort of Predictions and even earnings.

But the 24/7 media will keep churning it in hope you click and read and how they get paid ;-)
  • I made a tiny move the other day from RPSIX into PRIDX. ...I see today, 24 Nov, BRUFX is late to report share price. I have to believe it's to the up-side. Otherwise, I stick to my knitting. Sit back and enjoy the ride. The Fund Managers are driving. RPSIX is my laggard in 2020, but suddenly there have been two very good days. Biden transition, now. Yellen picked. Less crapola, more in the way of assurances that suddenly uncle Donald the Criminal will not pull some sort of nonsense. Yes?
  • edited December 2020
    Nothin.

Unsure about travel in 2021. That’s the biggest discretionary expense. So, like 2020, next year might require little drawdown from investments. That argues for staying the course rather than building cash. Somehow wish it were other. (But have reduced spec positions while waiting for the next 25-30% selloff).

Nice bounce today across the boards. DJI is up 300 in early afternoon - above the 30,000 mark.

Energy’s strong with Brent over $50 and NYMX close behind.

And a pop of about $25 for gold, with miners up a couple percent today.

I remain convinced a lot of the action is of “the elephant chasing his tail” variety, with folks investing $$ they’d have spent on things without the Covid related restrictions. But “don’t fight the tape” (or do so at your own peril).

In the meantime .... What’s not to like?

At this point I view bonds as the wastewater of the investment plumbing infrastructure. They still serve some purpose - but don’t expect them to contribute to your prosperity.
  • Mark said:

I always follow the old adage - when you're unsure of what to do, do nothing.

Superb advice, easiest to execute yet hardest to follow at times. Quite the conundrum!

• ".....At this point I view bonds as the wastewater of the investment plumbing infrastructure. They still serve some purpose - but don’t expect them to contribute to your prosperity. " Wouldn't you know that I retire when rates sink through the floor? I use the bonds for ballast, but the expected income, if I should ever need to tap it, is nice to see every month--- though lower than it was for investors of yesteryear. Shares grow painlessly and automatically. Bonds are 55% of total, now.
  • I'm planning on rearranging a few of the deck chairs, as I always do around this time of year.
  • edited December 2020
    Systematically moved away from ETF's/funds over weighted in FAANG, and incrementally into Real Assets/TIPS with perhaps more a shift to value ETF's imminent.
  • AZRph said:

Systematically moved away from ETF's/funds over weighted in FAANG, and incrementally into Real Assets/TIPS with perhaps more a shift to value ETF's imminent.

Would you move into VONE over VONG, or all the way to VONV?
  • Ended my 18-month PCI experiment with a break-even result. Having been newly retired, I was wowed by the large monthly distribution and exotic feel of CEFs. They still *call* to me but they require more work than I’m willing to do. Hey, I’m retired. Best to all.

- Brian aka Level5
  • Systematically moved away from ETF's/funds over weighted in FAANG, and incrementally into Real Assets/TIPS with perhaps more a shift to value ETF's imminent.

Would you move into VONE over VONG, or all the way to VONV.

Actually, David, I have been looking into allocations into VBR and/or VLUE, but certainly into a similar investment realm as VONV.

• Rebalaned earlier this week and increased cash position just in case.
  • AZRph said:

Systematically moved away from ETF's/funds overweighted in FAANG, and incrementally into Real Assets/TIPS with perhaps more a shift to value ETF's imminent.

Would you move into VONE over VONG, or all the way to VONV.

Actually, David, I have been looking into allocations into VBR and/or VLUE, but certainly into a similar investment realm as VONV.

ooh, you are serious