Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar.com top 10 portfolio holdings?

Isn't there some way to find the top 10 portfolio holdings for a given mutual fund in morningstar.com? I'm sure there used to be, but I was looking for it just now and couldn't find it. Did they remove it?

Comments

• Hi Randy,
    Still in the same location at M*.
    This is the generic quote page at M*, selected for FSMEX.
    Select the "portfolio" tab, then scroll down for the last set of data; for "Holdings".

Take care,
    Catch
  • The top ten holdings have been missing for the last few days. Very disappointing if this is a permanent change.
  • Your brokerages provide the up to date top 10 holdings of your mutual funds and ETFs. Fidelity and Schwab do a solid job.
  • edited December 2020
    Level5 said:

The top ten holdings have been missing for the last few days. Very disappointing if this is a permanent change.

Maybe the holdings are for "premium" victims now.
  • @WABAC
    My 11am link for FSMEX is a non-member at M*. We've never had an account.
    I've not had any problem with any of this holding data.
  • It may depend on the browser. I sometimes use an old browser and I find more and more basic features of web pages (not just M*) are gradually disappearing. (The sites are modernizing their pages.)

For example, the front page of the NYTimes no longer fully loads - I get what looks like a full page but there's no content beneath to scroll down to. Very similar to what I now see on the M* portfolio page - it is missing the bottom part with the holdings.

Try updating your browser or try using a different browser.
  • Nope the holdings are no longer listed. Changing browser doesn't help. Same on Chrome, Firefox or safari. Still list individual securities in "Stock intersection" on Portfolio Xray, but this is not the same thing. If you set up a dummy portfolio with just one ETF or mutual fund, "stock intersection" will shoe you what's in it, but not the same functionality, obviously.

I emailed support but I suspect this is one more "cut" in tools individual investors have relied on
  • This is a "right now" link I used for portfolio holdings for FSMEX.
    What do you all see with the link?
    I'm using Chrome version 87.0.4280.88.
  • All I can say is that the holdings came up fine for me with relatively recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE, though pulling up the holdings failed on an older browser. I wasn't even logged in to M* with those newer browsers and I went to a fund that I'd never researched before (so it couldn't have been cached).

You could always go to the old "holdings" page - that is the same functionality, plus (it displays the top 25). That works on my old browser.

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=FSMEX
  • edited December 2020
    @msf
    Your link works fine here, for the older view, too.

NOTE: I clear browser history and cache at least once a day.

ADD: not that this is critical, but our use to the net is also via a VPN connection.
  • @catch22 your link shows none of the portfolio holdings using

Google Chrome is up to date
    Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Tried clearing cache No difference

Older view works

• I think it is a browser issue. It works on Microsoft's 'Edge' browser, but on Chrome several sections are not displayed (sustainability, carbon metrics, holdings).
  • More Bizarre than that. It works on all browsers if you are not signed in as a member. Once you sign in, presto, no portfolio holdings.

How weird
  • @sma3 Great observation!
  • @sma3
    Indeed strange !!!
  • Holy smokes, that’s weird!
  • msf said:

All I can say is that the holdings came up fine for me with relatively recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE, though pulling up the holdings failed on an older browser. I wasn't even logged in to M* with those newer browsers and I went to a fund that I'd never researched before (so it couldn't have been cached).

You could always go to the old "holdings" page - that is the same functionality, plus (it displays the top 25). That works on my old browser.

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=FSMEX

Too bad that link isn't their default view anymore.

It's a good idea to update browsers anyway since Flash is dead. And I don't mean The Scarlet Speedster.

But there does seem to be a trend that M* is just less friendly to regular investors that paid the bill when they were growing up. Maybe they think the real money going forward is in selling their index products.

BTW. FSMEX has been great for me. I am not buying anymore at it's current valuations. I might add it, or a similar ETF to my wife's IRA in days to come. It's pretty much medical care as a utility.
  • I received the following from a Morningstar support person, and it fixed the problem:

Please be advised to Clear the Browsing history, Cache and Cookies from your Browser.
    By doing so, you will be able to use the Website and the Tools properly again.
    Whenever you visit certain Web sites, they will store what is known as temporary Internet files (cache) and cookies on your computer to identify that Web site. Sometimes these files can cause the issue you are experiencing, especially if you are accessing Morningstar from a Favorites or Bookmark.

Google Chrome
    Click on the Chrome menu icon (a series of 3 lines) to the far right hand side of your screen and select More Tools. Select Clear Browsing Data. In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for the types of information that you want to remove. Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. Select beginning of time to delete everything. Click Clear browsing data button at the bottom of this screen. Restart your browser.
  • Did you log in again prior to looking at the holdings? Clearing cookies will cause the browser to forget that you were logged in to M*.
  • Thanks for these tips, all. Just this AM I was stymied in M* trying to compare holdings for a couple of funds. I still pay the piper, but probably won't renew. Same with my WSJ subscription I've had for eons. Too expensive and too little separation between news and editorial pages.
  • msf said:

Did you log in again prior to looking at the holdings? Clearing cookies will cause the browser to forget that you were logged in to M*.

No dice on the latest version of Firefox. And I'm lite on adblockers these days. The sites I visit could use the ad revenue.
  • + Ben The WSJ could fire all their reporters and just let their editorial writers write news reports! /snark
  • I cleared out everything on Chrome Still doesn't work

M* at least responded to my support email but no resolution. Obviously they care little about their earliest most loyal customers
  • I got hung up again today. By signing out of M* premium I was able to see the fund’s holdings, but all the other info available to subscribers only was invisible. I feel like calling and making a true PITA out of myself. On second thought, I don’t need to pick up the phone to do that....
  • Clearing cache on Mozilla no go either. Still able to see holdings etc ONLY if not signed in
  • From M* support

“Hope you are doing well.

I apologize for the wrong choice of words.

What I meant was that the issue you highlighted as effected all Morningstar users.

As informed this is been taken has a high priority case .

Best regards,”
  • High Priority my eye!!!
  • Forgot to mention..........about 9 posts backwards, Randy details clearing Google history. A shorter path to this same function is: with Google open, hold down the "ctrl" and "h" keys. This will pull up the same page for clearing browser data of your choice, but is a quick path. This relates to PC systems.........I presume Apple products have a similar key string for this.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • I had the same problem as the original poster (and others) but now I don't. I didn't change anything and assumed this was a M* issue (things like that usually are). Maybe they fixed it so if it affected you, try again.
  • it may be fixed. They didn't notify me, but I seem to be able to get holdings now