Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

where's the first place you'd like to travel to once restrictions are lifted?

and you don't really need to be going there...just would like to go in the future. I'll go first: Australia...flying to Great Barrier Reef, Uluru and Sydney....then fly to New Zealand and travel to the various natural beauty sites by camper van.

Comments

• Sounds fantastic! Are Americans allow to visit these countries? Americans are banned in Europe due to COVID. It may boil down to a requirement of vaccine certificate as a requirement at schools.
  • Not yet. Australia is having a COVID resurgence, but it's giving me more time to plan;)
  • We would like to visit Iceland. Lots of ususual and beautiful landscape. Canada national parks along the Rocky would be another great destination. For now Americans are banned to visit Canada.
  • We were supposed to go to Crete. But that was for an art festival my wife hooked into.

I'ld like to rent a little abode somewhere on the west side of France. Close to the Loire or Bordeaux. But ideally close to, or in, a town with a good farmer's market and at least one bakery.

There would have to be some sort of cafe, or bar, where I could sit outside and watch the world pass by for an hour, or three.
  • We went to Iceland last September. It is definitely unique. We rented a car and drove the Ring Road. I greatly underestimated how long it takes to drive between locations...two-lane road, not interstate system.
  • We went to Iceland last September. It is definitely unique. We rented a car and drove the Ring Road. I greatly underestimated how long it takes to drive between locations...two-lane road, not interstate system.

What do you do in Iceland besides look at volcanic activity?
  • Waterfalls, black sand beaches, glaciers, fjords, whale watching, caving, thermal river and pools, northern lights chasing...depending on time of year... mountains. Take lots of money, warm clothes and rain gear.
  • Any place out of my house!
    Finish visiting all the national parks in this country (before they're gone).
    Would highly recommend New Zealand. Spent 5 weeks there this past November & early December. Spent time on both islands. The climate & topographical diversity is amazing.
  • Iceland offers many outdoor opportunities such as backpacking, photography, lots of wildlife, landscape, northern night and etc. Lonely Planet Is a good starting point for information for different levels of travelers. Traveling costs money but the experience gained is priceless.
  • Thanks for the tips guys.

My advice is . . . Don't visit Phoenix in the summer time.
  • Maine, New Hampshire, Graubunden, Uri. Have family in all those places. So dying to take a trip, see folks, just enjoy a bit of quiet (hopefully on the edge of a lake).
  • Maine, New Hampshire, Graubunden, Uri. Have family in all those places. So dying to take a trip, see folks, just enjoy a bit of quiet (hopefully on the edge of a lake).

The North East is the only part of the Lower 48 I haven't visited at least once.
  • Door County, the peninsula above Wisconsin. Sort of like "Cape Cod without the pretension."

Rent a cottage in the woods. Start the day at LeRoy's Waterfront Coffee Shop for strong coffee and fresh pastry. Hike Peninsula State Park. Sit on the dock of the bay watching ...
  • Oz and New Zealand just like you little5bee or Tuscany. I've been to the first 2 and didn't want to leave.
  • Upper peninsula of Michigan and Wisconsin's coastline along Lake Superior are the best for their fall colors and lack of crowd. If weather permits, one can see Northern light.
  • @WABAC -- I highly recommend it. Grew up in New England, outside of Boston. Spent many falls hiking in NH, summers in the lakes regions of NH and Maine. Generally spend a week or two in Switzerland every year -- love canton Uri and the Graubunden.
  • edited August 2020
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevevernon/2020/08/18/can-retirees-responsibly-spend-more-money-on-travel/#9e5e5243aa4e

Probably Hawaii, new Zealand Asia countries like Thailand and Vietnam

Its difficult/heartbroken to see cities got destroyed recently..think many folks may not travel to NYC in the near future ...may not get reestablish until another few yrs
  • edited August 2020
    Somewhere where there’s art, history, live theater, etc. I’ve come to the conclusion late in life that man made beauty far exceeds natural beauty in its rarity and impressiveness. As far as we know, this is the only place in the entire universe where man’s wonders exist - be it a magnificent tower in NYC or a stage production of Hamilton . Natural beauty by comparison can be found most anywhere from a frond covered pond near home to a near limitless number of snow-capped mountains. And not just on Earth. Those bluish looking ice mountains on Pluto sent back by one of our spacecraft are awe inspiring in their majesty. But where else beyond our own planet will you find another impressive monument to man’s industry and ingenuity like World Trade 1 or Hudson Yards? Where else has there existed a Shakespeare, a Mozart, a Charles Dickens, a Tom Paine or a Thomas Jefferson?

Where to go? NYC, Toronto, London are favorite spots. But always looking for new places rich in man’s wonders (especially top quality live theater).
  • Love to visit large cities and their cultural attractions. Given them COVID-19 situation, many of these attractions are indoor and likely crowded. Outdoor activities are safer alternatives until vaccines are available. Out west we have a number of National Parks and endless coastline to choose from.
  • edited August 2020
    @DavidSnowball @Sven Yes, continue Door County trip into Keeweenaw Peninsula of Michigan. Cute towns of Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor; take the boat to Isle Royale National Park; great copper mining museum in Calumet, run by National Park Service...my great-grandfather was one of the first immigrant copper miners there and the company house that he and his family lived in is still standing and inhabited. Plus, you can visit an old copper mine that was formerly used as a demonstration mine for potential investors back in the day.
  • @little5bee, no kidding! That part of country is truly beautiful. I have visited those place you mentioned, especially for the fall colors. I backpacked Isle Royale twice and had a wonderful experience. Those mosquitoes are something else.
  • Portugal and NE Spain, the Adriatic, and we owe our now 22 year old Chinese adoptee a trip to her place of birth. I regret the trips we canceled due to Covid: Atlanta for a college graduation, Paris and Burgundy with daughter #4 who was living in France, DC for a granddaughter’s BD.

Now all but one of our kids have moved back to MI, so we don’t “need” to travel at this time when we cannot.
  • Sven said:

@little5bee, no kidding! That part of country is truly beautiful. I have visited those place you mentioned, especially for the fall colors. I backpacked Isle Royale twice and had a wonderful experience. Those mosquitoes are something else.

Did Isle Royale with my Explorer Post. I don't remember the mosquitoes though.

Later I went camping with my wife to be between Bayfield and Superior on the shore of the lake. We built a sweat lodge and had a lot of fun running screaming into the lake.

I think about getting back to Bayfield now that maybe we could afford to get out to the islands and spend a night in some of the lodging.

As it is. I am afraid that we are going to have to cancel our biennial reunion that we have been recently holding outside Boyne City. We may all be vaccinated against the virus by then. But the airline industry never gets better. It just gets more miserable.
  • Mosquito is plentiful over the summer in inland lakes. First time visiting Isle Royale as a city boy was not fun when we encountered backpackers wearing netting over their heads. Still we made the most out of the beautiful island. The Minnesota natives call the mosquito their state bird.

Be careful if you have to fly. We only travel by cars to less crowded outdoor destination. This virus is wicked and have long lasting health effect.

Love to visit big cities described by @hank, but we will wait until we get vaccinated. Only if US followed New Zealand's policy on COVID, our lives would be in much better situation.
  • Sven said:

Mosquito is plentiful over the summer in inland lakes. First time visiting Isle Royale as a city boy was not fun when we encountered backpackers wearing netting over their heads. Still we made the most out of the beautiful island. The Minnesota natives call the mosquito their state bird.

Be careful if you have to fly. We only travel by cars to less crowded outdoor destination. This virus is wicked and have long lasting health effect.

Love to visit big cities described by @hank, but we will wait until we get vaccinated. Only if US followed New Zealand's policy on COVID, our lives would be in much better situation.

I went to college in St. Paul at one of the many Princetons that dot the prairies. When I started the streets were lined with beautiful elms. When I left they were all gone. I remember the state bird. And driving around with the windows down when the temperature got back to 20-25F.

• First. Nice to read about the cross-section of places folks here have visited and/or want to visit. Many of our road trips starting the early '80's found us in some bigger cities by chance; but mostly the "back roads and small towns". So many great places to visit and learn about in this country. We always did our best to discover which local restaurant had the most cars in the parking lot for breakfast, to help us decide for this and supper time. When there still were racks in the lobby for the local newspaper and/or ad shoppers; this was a good place to discover things about the community. I have always been attracted to the local history of a community.

@Sven @WABAC We've probably walked in the same path area where one catches the boat to Isle Royale at Copper Harbor. WABAC, stayed in Boyne City/Boyne Falls area a few times during the past few years.

@little5bee I'm a serious Copper Country history buff, mostly to Keweenaw county; since the early '90's. Over the years I've wandered through the woods to the many of the mining sites, now long overgrown with trees. We would discover sites around the old building locations to "dig". One site in particular, an early copper mine (the North American (1843), which became part of the Cliff Mine; was a particular interesting dig site. I/we dug the dirt at this site for 10 years (vacation trips). The most treasured find is a small red clay, light yellow glazed, pottery piece about 2.5" across and likely about 5" high. After all of the years at this site, I was only able to find about 1/3 of the pieces to glue together. The piece was inscribed by hand when the clay was wet and reads, May 6, 1834, and what appears to be the beginning of the name Elizabeth. I wish these pieces could talk. All types of items were discovered: leather boot heels with copper heel plates complete with the original nails, buttons of all types, 10" powder blue stoneware plates from England ( I learned more about pottery and plates makers marks than I would have ever imagined), grooved hammer stones used by the indigenous population 1,000's of years ago to break away pure surface copper and the item list is long. @little5bee I/we have probably been near your great grandfather's house, as we've traveled just about every city street and back road of Keweenaw county.
    A few notes: This area of the U.S. is not well known for its history of industrial contribution to the country, but there are now many books written and online accounts about the area. The first early mines followed pure copper and silver veins. The Quincy Number 2 shaft was the world's longest mine shaft, at 9,260 feet (2.82 km or 1.75 miles) along the dip of the deposit on a 55 degree decline (Hancock, MI). The workers would enter the mine at the surface in January when the temperature could -20 degrees and find +90 degrees deep underground. Calumet, a home area of many later date (1880 and forward) mines had 13 different language newspapers in early 1900. This area and many other larger city areas to the south (Houghton) still have events of surface openings when the maze of underground shafts collapse. US Route 41 travels 1,990 miles from near Copper Harbor in Michigan to downtown Miami, Florida.

Wiki Michigan copper mining

Northern Lights at Eagle Harbor, MI; 1 year ago. Scroll down on this Twitter page to Aug. 6 for the lights. More pics further down the page. The location of Esrey Park is a few miles east of Eagle Harbor.This fella (the photog) is a Yooper (MI. upper peninsula) and apparently lives in Keweenaw county based upon the names I know of locations he mentions. We own "dirt" ( 1.5 acre lot) at Eagle Harbor.

Thanks.......was fun write for me; an unwind.

Regards,
    Catch
  • I'm already where I want to be. I couldn't ever say that before. Air travel? Not if I can possibly avoid it. I WOULD like get to see the famous military cemetery at "The Punchbowl." https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/nmcp.asp
  • edited August 2020
    The entire Adriatic coast with an emphasis on Croatia.
  • Howdy,

Ouch. We were supposed to sail on a 13 day Viking Med cruise on April 26th out of Venice. Oh, and we were going to fly to Reno in July and visit Yo Semite and Sequoia where we had reservations.

And this week, I was supposed to be in Washington DC for the annual reunion of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion and 1st Marine Division. Next August it will be in Southern California because it will be the 50th anniversary of the division pulling out of Vietnam.

Semper fi,

S/Sgt rono,
    CoA, 1stReconBn, 1stMarDiv
    Danang March 1968 - November 1969

• I’d like to visit family once the pandemic calms down. We had planned to visit several brothers and sisters in January but called off the trip due to the virus. Unfortunately, my wife’s brother died in a workplace accident in March, and we had planned to visit him as well. After that, we plan to resume our exploration of the national parks.