Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

where's the first place you'd like to travel to once restrictions are lifted?

2»

Comments

• Would love a return visit to Santa Margherita and the Ligurian riviera.
  • catch22 said:

@Sven @WABAC We've probably walked in the same path area where one catches the boat to Isle Royale at Copper Harbor. WABAC, stayed in Boyne City/Boyne Falls area a few times during the past few years.

Best wine shop I've ever been to is in Boyne City. And I lived in wine country nearly 40 years. Other than the family reunions I have logged thousands of miles way out west since my wife and I loaded a couple of sleeping bags in a 500$ Opel and hit the road for a couple of months before washing up in San Francisco when it was still possible to be a young Bohemian scuffling to get somewhere.

We used to have our family reunions at a Y camp in the Missouri Ozarks. Every other year we would land in a different city to take a different route in an attempt to teach our California kids some US geography.

It didn't work. One year we flew into Omaha. Young daughter WABAC asked if she should bring winter clothes. Why would you want to bring winter clothes? "You know. Alaska . . . Nebraska" she replied.
  • @catch22 you forgot to mention The Jam Pot!;) I'm sure the mining museum in Calumet or Michigan Tech in Houghton would love to have your archeological finds, if you ever wished to donate them. We were going to go up to the Keeweenaw this summer on our annual summer trip to visit friends and family in Michigan, but since the main reason for my visit was closed due to Covid, Lake Linden Railroad Museum, we postponed that leg of the trip till next year. Each of the big mines had a band...my great grandfather played in the Calumet and Hecla band...and that museum has info about that.

Not many people realize that you can see the Northern Lights in Michigan. And one of the few places in the world where it's dark enough to sometimes see them in summer.
  • Welcome to little5bee's and Catch22's short tour of Keweenaw County, Mi, eh?

Eating properly and enjoying the food is always an important aspect of travel for us. Don't forget the Jilbert's ice cream while in the area. Spent a lot of time at Michigan Tech's library doing research (pre-internet) regarding the older mine sites. Dig finds will go to the small mining museum at the E.H. Lighthouse site. Just had a look again at original newspaper copies of The Keweenaw Miner, Calumet; Jan. - May issues, 1920. And yes, I do believe we've been to (at least once) every museum and display in the greater area. Many of us find a special place of enjoyment and learning from our travels.
    Ok, for now; I've put enough folks to sleep.

Who would think about a monastery at the very end tip of the Upper Peninsula? We stopped two times for some bread, but preferred to give our money for jam to other locales.

Jampot Monastery

The Jam Lady, Eagle River

A young couple (20 years ago) with a small baby, cooking the bread in the oven and jam on the stove when on walked into the front door. We usually left with at least 2 cases of jam of various flavors, as we had a large bring some home list of family.

The Wood'N Spoon, Mohawk

Didn't always eat the Michigan House, but the interior was a pleasing sight from more than 100 years ago; and to sample a few cold ones.

Michigan House Cafe, Calumet, circa 1895

Have mentioned Toni's to many traveling the area. Excellent pasties (miner's lunch) !!!

Toni's, Larium

Now long closed, there was a Johnny's restaurant on 5th St. in Calumet where many of the locals went in large numbers. Sure enough, one of those follow the locals to the really good food.

While members of the Keweenaw County Historical Society; one of our week's time in the area was a stay in the light keepers house. At several points around the lighthouse, one could stand/sit in the same spot and watch the sunrise and then sunset across Lake Superior.

Eagle Harbor Lighthouse

Take care,
    Catch

• edited August 2020
    Don’t overlook Michigan’s Mackinaw Island for a short sojourn. I know folks who stayed overnight at the historic Grand Hotel and loved the experience. But even for a 2-3 hour visit it’s a pleasant getaway. A 15-minute ferry ride from mainland. No autos allowed on the island. Walk, rent (or bring your own) bike, or ride a horse drawn carriage. Takes about an hour for a person in relatively good condition to ride completely around the island on a bike. I’ve done so numerous times. The spot on the album cover is marked with a plaque commemorating the film.

IMHO Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve and Jayne Seymour is a vastly underrated film. It’s a one of a kind fantasy that will transport you to a different world - nearest thing to a hypnotic trance. It was shot on Mackinaw Island with splendid scenery. And musical score by renowned John Berry. So, if you can’t actually visit the island right now, enjoy the film. Guaranteed to take your mind off Coronavirus, politics and the markets.

All theU-Tube snippits I glanced at fail to do justice to the film. So, just linking the theme music here. Enjoy

• hank said:

Don’t overlook Michigan’s Mackinaw Island for a short sojourn. I know folks who stayed overnight at the historic Grand Hotel and loved the experience. But even for a 2-3 hour visit it’s a pleasant getaway. A 15-minute ferry ride from mainland. No autos allowed on the island. Walk, rent (or bring your own) bike, or ride a horse drawn carriage. Takes about an hour for a person in relatively good condition to ride completely around the island on a bike. I’ve done so numerous times. The spot on the album cover is marked with a plaque commemorating the film.

IMHO Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve and Jayne Seymour is a vastly underrated film. It’s a one of a kind fantasy that will transport you to a different world - nearest thing to a hypnotic trance. It was shot on Mackinaw Island with splendid scenery. And musical score by renowned John Berry. So, if you can’t actually visit the island right now, enjoy the film. Guaranteed to take your mind off Coronavirus, politics and the markets.

All theU-Tube snippits I glanced at fail to do justice to the film. So, just linking the theme music here. Enjoy

Mackinac Island? Cold as San Francisco on a summer day. We have the sweatshirts to prove it.
  • Hi @hank and @WABAC

--- Some Mackinac Island lilac trees are original Victorian plantings, dated at more than 150 years old.
    --- First founded as a military post in 1780.

Mackinac Island to St. Ignace, ice bridge crossing video (22 minues) with snowmobiles. The discarded Christmas trees are placed into the ice along the route during "decent" weather as markers, so no one becomes lost. The video is a bit repetitive, but interesting. The have been periods during some years when the brave souls who remain during winter have built a small Caribbean style bar along the ice road and have a B.Y.O.B. party, whenever; weather permitting. None of the drinks become too warm to spoil the taste and one must use a cooler to protect the "special product" from freezing in this part of the winter world.

Hidden Season, video intro. This video is very well produced and arrives periodically in PBS programming.

Among the many interesting aspects of the island, for the visitor; and a personal favorite, was sitting in one of the butterfly houses for an hour or so and watching the butterflies as they took turns choosing which humans to land upon for a few minutes. The kids, in particular; was amazed.

Grand Hotel sold to private equity firm, Sep. 2019 One hopes this works out better than many PE buy outs and the firm is just not trying to make a fast buck (there first full season was/is 2020).

Thanks again for the mental unwind, during this fully bizarre year, to date.

• @hank and @WABAC, Mackinac Island is breezy but beautiful. Lots of history. We enjoyed the fudges while biking around the Island.

@littlebee, when we camped on Picture Rock National Shoreline, we saw the northern light since there is very little light pollution from nearby cities. On several occasions they were as bright as the pictures that @catch22 posted earlier. Very cool!

We moved from Michigan to Oregon on the same route you took on Columbia Gorge. The climate and geography changes quickly with lots of conifers.

• edited August 2020
    WABC said, “Mackinac Island? Cold as San Francisco on a summer day. We have the sweatshirts to prove it.”

Well, it’s an island situated in the northern great lakes (actually the Straits of Mackinaw). These waters are ice-covered nearly half the year. Never really warm up. Suitable for swimming / bathing only one or two months out of the year. Visit the island July thru September for best temps. 70s and 80s quite common in late summer.

For even chillier waters, tour the Lake Superior shoreline roughly 50 miles to the north. The small town of Paradise and the nearby Tahquamenon Falls area up there are a favorite of mine. Gaze out at the forbidding waters that took down the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Thanks @Catch22 for all the great additional details.
  • No matter where one plans to travel, check out Atlas Obscura.

The definitive guide to the world’s hidden wonders

We've used it extensively on several cross country trips as well as in New Zealand.

To be fair, it is an acquired taste. My daughter didn't quite share her parent's enthusiasm.