Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any Bets on Joe Biden’s VP Pick?

edited August 2020 in Off-Topic
Rumors are rife that the announcement may come today. My money’s on “That Woman
(Michigan’s Governor Whitmer).

(Only 1 pick allowed.)

Comments

• I’ll take a long shot - Atlanta mayor - Lance-Bottoms.
  • Hi hank,

Hope this finds you safe and well. Just had my first of two bring your own carryout party at my house for today. It's been 4 of these so far. Four guys today and 5 relatives tonight. Outside on the deck and patio, spread out, easy.

Don't know who he'll choose. I'd hate to lose 'that woman from Michigan'. She's been an unholy bitch, but we're still alive and that's what matters to me. She can be a bitch all she wants.

Metals getting clobbered today, but the premiums are widening in tune with the paper price action [read: artificial pricing]. That's OK. This always happens with the metals. I just bought a bit more for giggles. feh. They're on sale.

Here is what Pat Heller (Liberty Coin Service) just reported on his FB page. Please note that my dear friend Pat is a serious gold bug.

"Wow, precious metals prices ended up getting clobbered today. At the COMEX close, here were spots:

Gold: $1,932.50, down $92.00 from yesterday's close
    Silver: $26.04, down $3.19 from yesterday's close
    Platinum: $967.090, down $31.00 from yesterday's close
    Palladium: $2,172.00, down $93.00 from yesterday's close

Obviously, the US government arranged for enough selling of short contracts on the COMEX to spook hedge funds and others investment funds to take some profits by closing out some long positions.

As of a couple minutes ago, here is what Liberty Coin Service was using for its bid and ask spots to buy and sell physical precious metals:

Gold: bid spot price $1,914.50/ask spot price $1,917.00
    Silver $24.99/$25.05
    Platinum: $933.00/$941.00
    Palladium: $2,068.00/2,118.00

With this volatility, it is likely that the bid/ask spot price spreads will soon widen."

that's OK, I'm like Dorothy clicking her heels.

and so it goes,

peace and wear the damn mask,

rono

• A woman.
  • edited August 2020
    Any wagers biden -trump...vegas have it biden slightly favored 60s:40s

Ms Harris ...maybe next ?potus 2022 or strong candidate 2024
  • edited August 2020
    Yes - Harris. John posted at 4:02 Time of announcement?

@John - Thanks for posting. Did you guess right or hear first? Anyway, we dems (affectioally called Marxists by some here) would surely welcome you and others over to our side. Seriously. Give it some thought. - Regards

Truth is the only “Marx“ I ever knew (and liked) was Groutcho

• I was right! :)
  • edited August 2020
    Hi sir @ Hank. I didnot see any yahoo nor watch TV news today. Too busy working/ I had Ms Harris on radar past three wks. Thoughts saw vegas polls she was the highest bidder also. The other maybe too related to Obama and I think Biden wants someone with more ideas/ fresh start than Rice to be VP. Think it will be very close. I don't really know who will win 2020 though. My guess 50:50 now...

think personally if covid data improve, economy streaming/takes off, unemployment data lowered to 7-8% next 6-8 wks, more openings, dows 28 or 29K, less suffers, Trump may have a good case. If the reversed are true, think Biden may win it though. Could be 270-268 - AZ FLA NH PA WI MI GA NEVADA Maine2ndDistric Nebraska2nd distric up for grabs

I do think Economy remains the #1 issues for 2020 although covid19 is very close at secondary factor.

Personally I think we are back to 2016 again, bad candidates IMHO. Wish we had better candidates Obama or B.Clinton vs Reagan [all star lineups - Maybe much better for our country]
  • Typical dimwit DemocRAT pick...pandering for the black & female vote. This after she called him a racist & all kindsa things during the debates....funny how that all works. She's no dummy, she knows if creepy senile Joe wins that she will become president in short order once he's deemed unfit, which should take all of 30 seconds to prove. And then you may as well flush the economy, stock market, and country down the toilet. TRUMP2020!!!
  • It will be fascinating.

In some ways it occurs to me that Senator Harris represented Mr Biden's safest pick in the sense that, I suspect, most of her "skeletons" are not in the closet, they are well documented in the public record. That's not a criticism, just a note that people with long public records carry the weight of those records with them. Both ambitious people and people who learn and grow tend to have records whose early chapters are at odds with the later ones.

If elected, I could imagine Sen. Harris becoming the most consequential vice president ever. Mr Biden has pretty much announced that he would be a one-term president whose goals are both to serve as clean up crew and bridge to the next generation of Democrat politicians. Both strike me as honorable goals. But if you accept the prospect that Mr Biden's energy and focus might both be ... oh, past their peak, then it is at least conceivable that a sort of presidential transition might be underway before the end of that term.

Or not. I've been out in the sun a lot today.

David
  • edited August 2020
    A truly solid choice IMHO and she's no dummy. Can't wait for the Harris-Pence debates. I might actually watch.
  • edited August 2020
    Nice call @JohnN. Thanks for participating. And for the rest of your thoughts. Sometimes a badly contaminated or infested house requires cleaning-up. That first. Appearance later.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
  • edited August 2020
    @David_Snowball - Pence will debate Harris in October. Ouch!
  • I am tickled blue.

• Trevor Noah (host of 'The Daily Show') tweeted out “EXCLUSIVE: White House officials are exploring legal options to ensure Mike Pence can participate in the VP debate with Kamala Harris, a woman.”

• edited August 2020
    I'd have preferred Stacey Abrams. Fresh. And so very smart. But Harris is serious shit. Powerful, smart, and an attack dog when you need one. The Dems need that. They're always too NICE, playing against pit bulls with literally no conscience on the other side.
  • @rforno She will mop the floor with him.
  • Crash said:

@rforno She will mop the floor with him.

Crash, I totally agree. Frankly I wonder if this means Pence's status on the ticket could be in danger now? Watching her cross-examination of witnesses in hearings was wonderful and her prosecutorial chops came through loud-and-clear. That debate is going to be must-see TV I bet.

Abrams was too much a political lightweight in my view. Let her have some more time on the national stage, in state or national office, etc. and then let's see what happens.
  • edited August 2020
    +1. She certainly is an up-and-comer. That GA governor's race was stolen from her. Repugnant shenanigans.
  • edited August 2020
    Crash said:

... She will mop the floor with him.

She probably will if she can stay away from those damn canned catch phrases and talking points - which is about all poor MP knows. Problem is, there’s always the temptation to resort to them.

Thurber: “Don't count your boobies until they are hatched.”
  • edited August 2020
    @_hank yes sir. That could be the 'REAL' debate...get your popcorn ready.

Gundlach, a smarter than average bear out there, predicts trump may win but we will never know/ we are waiting for the Oct/Nov surprise still [? vaccination? or trump has a massive heart attack or stroke/Biden falls down on stage?]
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/jeffrey-gundlach-says-base-case-is-trump-wins-re-election-215711167.html
  • edited August 2020
    LOL - Harpo

(Still waiting for LB to weigh in on the big issue of the day here.) :)
  • edited August 2020
    It should have been Stacey Abrams. Anyone who thinks Kamala Harris is "far left" doesn't know her record as a prosecutor. Of the many talented women Biden could've chosen she is the safest and most boring. Harris will destroy Pence in a debate. Then again, a potato with electrodes in it could beat Pence and no one really cares much about the vice presidency anyway.
  • Ms. Abrams would have been quite a choice as well but which would have been a better option to step right into the presidency? I'm not saying that she couldn't, after all look at the lump of goo currently there. But here I'd give Ms. Harris the edge. There is also that little matter of picking a candidate that Biden was most comfortable with whatever that entailed.
  • johnN said:

@_hank yes sir. That could be the 'REAL' debate...get your popcorn ready.

Gundlach, a smarter than average bear out there, predicts trump may win but we will never know/ we are waiting for the Oct/Nov surprise still [? vaccination? or trump has a massive heart attack or stroke/Biden falls down on stage?]
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/jeffrey-gundlach-says-base-case-is-trump-wins-re-election-215711167.html

Hopefully, he will be spot on with this prediction as he has been with his prediction on where interest rates would be today. NOT!
  • edited August 2020
    @Mona - Gundlach is nothing if not self confident.

It’s going to be very close. The current WH occupant knows how to pull all the “right“ strings. Always one step ahead of what we thought was the “final” limit to his audacity. Wow. Just keep suspending / eliminating / deferring taxes (whatever you want to call it) as election nears. With that kind of force-feeding it’s very ikely the Dow will top the psychologically important 30,000 barrier before November. Just about every Tom, Dick and Betty (with a job or pension) is going to start seeing more money in their paychecks. We all know that can’t last forever. But as humans, we’re very short-sighted. Same reason folks stay at the party too late and keep imbibing - even though they realize they’ll feel like crap in the morning.

VP Pence is a perfectly likable person. I think he mostly means well - though we diverge 180 degrees on just about everything. I imagine he’ll make a good “showing” in the debate.

• Calif has 55 electoral votes with 270 needed to win. Those 55 votes are 20% of what is needed. Now you know why Ms. Harris was the pick from my perspective.
  • CA was reliably Democratic even before the pick of Ms. Harris. In fact, since 1992, when it was carried by Bill Clinton, the state has voted Democratic in every presidential election since, usually by lopsided margins. It might have been considered but I highly doubt it was the main reason.
  • @Mark
    True but if the Republicans manage to suppress the minority vote, then what? California has more than a few minorities. Some have lived in the area longer that the white man but still face any hatemongering consequences. The east of the Sierra is quite red. So I hope you are right. Not being a political planner and schemer myself, but rather a Pollyanna, I want to think she was chosen because she was the best candidate, strategic or not.
  • I'll be curious to read what Old_Joe has to say about her.

She didn't impress me when she was the DA in SF, or the AG for California. But it's not like she was a train wreck. She seems amiable, photogenic, and unlikely to make huge mistakes.

She won't do much to bring out the AOC-Sanders wing. But I don't think those folks are a large part of current calculations.