Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nearly 40% of the poorest households hit with a job loss during pandemic, Fed study shows

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2020
    Moral hazard borne out of the neccessity TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE...not choice. Very different than the bailouts of the GFR.

econport.org/content/handbook/Unemployment/Comparing/MoralHazard.html
  • 1) Making more to do nothing does not incentivize those to work.
    2) Many I know are not necessarily using that money "to put food on the table" - they are frivolously spending on a myriad of non-essentials
  • edited May 2020
    @JoJo26 The welfare queen, seriously in 2020? Oldest stereotype and innacurate cliche in the book. What's next, trot out a few anecdotes of waste to contradict the mass of legitimate need from the unemployed? Just enjoy the trillions of dollars of free bailout money you got from the Fed to save your stock and bond portfolio while complaining about the poor and their moral hazard.
  • You can't honestly believe that it makes sense to make more money sitting on your hands doing nothing than actually working... Good luck have any societal, economic or progress of any kind for that matter with that setup.
  • What I can honestly believe is that a country that doesn't take care of their poor and disadvantaged citizens is a massive failure. Why is it appropriate to give massive tax breaks to corporations and the richest among us and giant subsidies to certain segments of the nation (oil industry, large scale farming operations) while claiming that feeding and caring for those on the other end of the scale will ruin the country. Look around your sheltered little existence and you will see that those less fortunate are the same people who keep this country afloat. And speaking of those large farming operations - we give them funds NOT to grow crops. How is that different? Your attitude sickens me.
  • +100 Mark. I believe @Old_Joe properly named this guy in another post.
  • @JoJo26 How can we have any "progress" when ignorant citizens of red states complain their taxes are too high and there are too many "freeloaders" while blue states are paying for all of the red states' government services:

• I know lots of people using unemployment benefit to put food on the table and pay rent. I also have come across Dental doctors getting unemployment - may be they are the one Jojo is referring about.
  • actually, dentists are suffering majorly too

all small-businesspeople
  • Mark said:

What I can honestly believe is that a country that doesn't take care of their poor and disadvantaged citizens is a massive failure. Why is it appropriate to give massive tax breaks to corporations and the richest among us and giant subsidies to certain segments of the nation (oil industry, large scale farming operations) while claiming that feeding and caring for those on the other end of the scale will ruin the country. Look around your sheltered little existence and you will see that those less fortunate are the same people who keep this country afloat. And speaking of those large farming operations - we give them funds NOT to grow crops. How is that different? Your attitude sickens me.

I never said we should pay farmers NOT to grow crops... I am 100% against that as well.