Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Selling Has Been Merciless ...

edited April 2020 in Fund Discussions
Why the Russell 2000 is off 37%, more representative of mass decline in equities ...

https://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2020/04/01/the-state-of-the-american-business/

Comments

• rono said/shared it with us beforehand: The economy will not look the same as before. (Batnick's conclusion.)
  • Which Mortgage REITs are down 64%? I can't find any mutual fund down that much.
  • @VF - The article mentioned one, "An investor who bought MFA financial five years ago was up 70% as of February 20th. Now they’re down 73%. It went from $8 to $1.28 in 28 days. Unbelievable move."

Others include NRZ (-68.9%), TWO (-73.9%), LADR (-73.7%), WMC (-77.8%) and ABR (-65.9%). In addition there are several more with YTD losses of between -50 to -60%.
  • Really brutal. That's what happens after 11 years of bull market returns. Never want to get complacent again! c
  • Please remind me in 10 years!
  • @charles, things happen but you will be a better investor in the future. Perhaps your portfolio is down today but time will allow it to fully recover, perhaps a year or two. Mine did during 2008 and I was scare as hell. Unless you are in total cash at the market peak as of Feb 19th, everyone is down to various degrees if they hold any stocks. So you are in good company with rest of us. Remember that market timing seldom work since you have to be right twice in a row, and the probability is low (at least for me). So cheer up. You have many great posters here.
  • @Mark Yes seems so, they are looking at individual security. But I find the article narrative misleading. It is suggesting an entire sector is down by those amounts.
  • edited April 2020
    Hi folks, I know I was critized on the board, by some, who felt that I held way to many funds (close to fifty). However, I don't have but two funds that are down more than IOFAX (an income fund) and they are considered small/mid cap funds with a lot of real estate holdings. This is why Old_Skeet believes in diverisifying manager and strategy risk. In this way, when one fund blows up (or several) there are the others that can carry the load and continue to move the portfolio forward. This happens more times than thought (funds blowing up) as well as bad debt write offs.

For me, my investment strategy helps better control manager and strategy falters.
  • @Old_Skeet: Thank you for posting. Will you be adding to your two real estate funds that are down more than IOFIX or selling them off & deploying else where ? Yesterday IOFIX paid their normal dividend of $.05. Would it be time to buy a piece of this fund or wait for another two or three months ?
    Thanks for your time, Derf
  • @VF - not a whole lot prettier, currently (-30.01%), at the 52-wk low (-40.5%)

Real Estate Sector
  • edited April 2020
    @Derf, The real estate income fund that I added to yesterday was FRINX. And, I plan to buy another step in it later. Another position that I added to yesterday was FLAAX. I've pretty much moved my buying from the equity side of my portfolio to the income side since I pretty much now have a full allocation to equities. And, I'm buying in a step buy process to position cost average my positions.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hi folks, I know I was critized on the board, by some, who felt that I held way to many funds (close to fifty). However, I don't have but two funds that are down more than IOFAX (an income fund) and they are considered small/mid cap funds with a lot of real estate holdings. This is why Old_Skeet believes in diverisifying manager and strategy risk. In this way, when one fund blows up (or several) there are the others that can carry the load and continue to move the portfolio forward. This happens more times than thought (funds blowing up) as well as bad debt write offs.

For me, my investment strategy helps better control manager and strategy falters.

Hi Skeet... always good to see you post. How are you performing against your benchmarks this year?
  • Thee problem with real estate funds is that companies may have found that their workers are accomplishing a good deal at home and therefore decide they need to rent less space
  • @Old_Skeet. At least I will never criticize you for holding "too many funds". Frankly, nobody's business.

I manage independent portfolios with different goals/intents with different brokerages which also have different funds NTF. At any given point in time I probably own 70 - 80 different funds across several brokerages, then my IRAs, 401ks (1 for me, 1 for wife), plus a very small number of funds I own direct. I really don't see why I have to use the SAME funds in all portfolios. First off, hard to keep track, second may not be available.

I own only ONE fund in taxable and IRA. Its FMIJX, absolutely wrong fund to have in both places as it turns out.
  • edited April 2020
    @MikeW ... Thank you for your question on how I'm fairing. I am much in line with my conersative asset allocation funds which make up better than 25% of my overall portfolio. My best performer year to date in my hybrid income sleeve is CTFAX -1.72% while the worst one is FRINX -28.62%. Overall, this sleeve is down ytd a little under 15% and overall my portfolio as a whole bubbles being down a little above the 15% mark. So, I am running a pretty close to my conserative asset allocation funds which hold 30% to 50% equity.

The income yield on my portfolio is a little shy of 4% with capital gain distributions factored in the distribution yield moves north of 5%. With this, I plan to keep buying with my portfolio's income gerneration while things are on sale. My current asset allocation is 15% cash, 40% income and 45% equity.