Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

OT - Trump Declares National Day of Prayer Sunday, March 15

edited March 2020 in Off-Topic
This one belongs somewhere in the “right-field bleachers” section of the board. However, since the U.S. seems to be facing “the health crisis of the century” and since there has already been comment on this board re the Corona-virus, as well as the related financial / investment repercussions, I thought I’d “toss” it out here. I’ve always respected the right of everyone to practice / or not practice any religion of choice. As a non-believer, I’m certainly uncomfortable with the idea that all Americans should pray to some supreme entity (for relief from the pandemic I assume), even though the very notion may run contrary to their own inner conscience and moral beliefs.

And to what end? I’d love to have someone convince me that if I start believing in some supreme power and than pray fervently to it, him or her the pandemic will stop, become less severe, or that lives will be spared.

Trump Announcement: https://pulpitandpen.org/2020/03/13/president-trump-calls-national-day-of-prayer-for-sunday/

Other Presidents have also called for similar faith related observances. Here’s a history:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/day_pray2.htm

A favorite passage from MT’s Huckleberry Finn:

“Then Miss Watson she took me in the closet and prayed, but nothing
come of it. She told me to pray every day, and whatever I asked for I
would get it. But it warn’t so. I tried it. Once I got a fish-line,
but no hooks. It warn’t any good to me without hooks. I tried for the
hooks three or four times, but somehow I couldn’t make it work. By and
by, one day, I asked Miss Watson to try for me, but she said I was a
fool.”

I set down one time back in the woods, and had a long think about it.
I says to myself, if a body can get anything they pray for, why don’t
Deacon Winn get back the money he lost on pork? Why can’t the widow
get back her silver snuffbox that was stole? Why can’t Miss Watson fat
up? No, says I to my self, there ain’t nothing in it.”

Comments

• Wanna know where you can stick your thoughts and prayers 45?
  • I’ll be praying for a new president!
  • edited March 2020
    Tarwheel said:

I’ll be praying for a new president!

At last, a constructive prayer.

• +1 Tarwheel

• I was going to comment, but I'll just pour my first scotch of the evening instead. ;)
  • edited March 2020
    Mark said:

Wanna know where you can stick your thoughts and prayers 45?

Hee hee hee hee.
    Well, now. A thing like this is in my wheelhouse. My own belief has evolved. One big reason I don't fit the mold any longer. I think it's just natural for people to use anthropomorphic vocabulary and images of God, as long as they are searching or have decided upon "Someone" to believe in. If any of you are familiar with the writings of now-retired Episcopal bishop (of Newark) John Shelby Spong, that's pretty much where my head and heart is, these days. He writes of a non-theological belief system.
    "If God did not exist, we should have to invent him." (Voltaire.) I think that's what people do, and what religious institutions have done. People will always institutionalize what's important to them. That's a sociological fact.

All of the religion-talk, ever since forever, is an attempt to get at what is ultimately beyond our ken. Ergo, the vocabulary and truth-claims of people and religious institutions about it all are ipso facto limited, and will always fall short. What I can tell you about what I believe is a helluva lot less specific than in days past.

And praying to get something you want? As with Huck Finn, above? The character is a child, praying for childish things. But is it not a worthy sentiment, to want peace and safety for everyone? I think of prayer these days as an act or attitude of solidarity with others. "God" is not Santa Claus. I can't get the line from Voltaire out of my head. If there is something greater than ourselves--- the root or source of all things--- is it a "Big Guy Beyond The Sky?" Of course not.

Nevertheless: given our shared humanity, is there nothing we have in common and no shared responsibility for each other? (Yes, there are evil shit-heads among us, too. The Orange Abortion is one.)
    From The Grateful Dead, "Ripple:"
    "...Let there be songs to fill the air.....
    Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
    If your cup is full, may it be again
    Let it be known there is a fountain
    That was not made by the hands of men
    ."

• Anna said:

Tarwheel said:

I’ll be praying for a new president!

At last, a constructive prayer.

yup.
  • The implication being by making it Sunday that America is a Christian nation, which is separate from the fact that many Americans don’t believe in religion at all: https://pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/06/10-facts-about-atheists/What happened to the separation between church and state? I think the Handmaid’s Tale is Pence’s favorite book except the men are the heroes to him in it.
  • Nicely done Crash.
  • edited March 2020
    Yup. MAGA= caucasian and mutated, screwed-up, mutilated "Christian." For the MAGA crowd, it's a non-issue: church and state SHOULD be and ARE married. Cross and Flag marching together. "Onward Christian soldiers!" I love the satire, from M*A*S*H:
    I was going to post the link, but goddamit, YouTube has buried it.
    Ah, here it is, under a misleading header.
  • edited March 2020
    Speaking as a born-again agnostic, all that I can do is wish @Tarwheel the best of luck.
  • edited March 2020
    God blesses trump /God bless uncle bidden
    Glod blesses usa

Think 2021 we wont make these regular habits, uncle Joe win by few points according to national polls in swing states past few wks [Michigan / south nh/ Virginia]
  • rforno said:

I was going to comment, but I'll just pour my first scotch of the evening instead. ;)

rookie
  • edited March 2020
  • and newt will stay in italy

Is he singing from his balcony?

"And may God bless and keep the Tsar..... far away.";)

• I think George Burns said - I prayed for a bike and didn’t get one, so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
  • LOL laugh laugh laugh.
  • johnN said:

God blesses trump /God bless uncle bidden
    Glod blesses usa

Think 2021 we wont make these regular habits, uncle Joe win by few points according to national polls in swing states past few wks [Michigan / south nh/ Virginia]

Problem is he won't understand what he won.

• He'll understand a whole lot more than the current executive moron.
  • @OJ Right, I don’t understand how any Trumpster can call Joe dumb or senile with a straight face. It’s absurd.
  • Our national emergency has declared a national emergency!
    You have to do something like pray for change because there is no way Trump, or McConnell(sp?) are ever going to change.
  • 45, Dense and McTurtle don't have to be right or truthful, they just have to say it and their faithful believe.
  • edited March 2020
    I pray the good citizens of the U.S. come together on Nov. 3 to decisively evict POTUS from the White House.
  • edited March 2020
    It is now the 16th. How long will it take before the prayers kick in to fix this mess? Not much of a prayer person myself so not sure what to expect on timing.
  • @Mike - ditto and 2 thumbs up on the post. Made me laugh but I have no answer for you. Maybe the first Tuesday in November. At least that's what I'm shooting for.
  • Evidently some of us actually like being lied to. "Please, Mr. President, can you tell us another one?"