Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

In Celebration of Ted Didesch (1937 - 2019)

2»

Comments

• It won't be the same around here . . . .
  • We had our differences regarding style, but there's absolutely no doubt that Ted had nothing but the best intentions for the welfare of MFO. The amount of time and work that he volunteered was phenomenal. With respect, RIP.
  • Bless his heart! Ted worked till his final day on posts for us at MFO.
  • Sorry to hear about this. I will miss the Linkster. He provided a wealth of knowledge for the board......as well as some color sometimes. It won't be the same forever. My sincerest condolences to the family.
    God bless
    The Pudd & the Dukester
  • I'm so sorry to hear about Ted's passing. one of my favorite things to do every morning was come to MFO and look for his latest postings. I learned alot from Ted and will always be grateful. An incredible loss for our community here. My heart and thoughts are with his family.
  • RIP Ted. You'll be missed.
  • edited December 2019
    In celebration of Ted - As most here probably know, we were often at odds over the years. He sometimes labeled me ”the Trump Basher” (not meant as a compliment) and I often responded in kind - occasionally to excess. Ted was a worthy opponent in any kind of tussle. He clearly did not like the 737 MAX thread I initiated last March. Ironically, perhaps, the plane we wrangled over - sometimes heatedly - remains out of service to this day, its safety still hotly debated.

But I am so fortunate to say that our last exchange was both cordial and one I will forever cherish as my lasting memory of Ted. It was little more than a month ago, November 12, that I found myself whiling-away the hours during a lengthy layover at Chicago O’Hare. I posted some innocuous comment on the board and mentioned my whereabouts. Hours later when I got back home in Michigan and logged-in, there was a warm “Hank: Welcome to The Windy City” from Ted. And he followed it with a smiley emoticon. While Ted frequently used emoticons, readers will recall that he was quite stingy with the smiley ones.:) So I am doubly fortunate to have had the wisdom of his long presence here and also to have had such a memorable and pleasant final exchange to remember him by.

RIP Ted

Link to above-mentioned thread.
    https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/54048/invesco-oppenheimer-international-small-mid-company-fund-manager-change

• I followed Ted's posts for many years and learned constantly through them. Thank you.

RIP
  • I share so many of the same feelings already expressed here. One thing I will add, is that Ted's presence through his many posts (he was a force on MFO, to be sure), his presence is a reminder of how we can be connected to people we never meet in person, how we can make virtual-relationships and impressions because of the internet and places like MFO. It's a reminder (for me) that what we do -- even online -- might matter. In honor of Ted, I'd like to thank so many of you here who I have read through the years, the ways you've challenged me to do more and better financial research, to think about investments (not just money, but investments in people) as an ongoing lifelong experience. Thanks to all. And to Ted: peace.
  • I only stop by occasionally, but I want to add my condolences on Ted's passing. His multiple postings almost always had something of value among them, and flat days were never truly flat. I suspect the site will be a bit smaller, unless others step up their postings of relevant articles and columns. Ted looked at multiple sources for his articles and I don't know if anyone really will replace him.
    The road goes on, but the company of travelers is diminished.
  • I followed a lot of the links he posted. He'll be missed.
  • RIP Ted
    Best wishes to your family friends and associates.
    You will indeed be missed!
  • Ted was the Master Linkster! He welcomed me to MFO and was always helped me out with my finances. Will miss him.
  • Ted was always quite helpful and kind to me. Bless him.
  • edited December 2019
    Hi guys,

I received a nice "Thank You" note from Lynn Didesch, Ted's wife today. I'm thinking she sent this to me to thank everyone. It reads as follows.

"Dear Cecil,

I am so sorry it took me so long to write you. I'm not that computer savvy and I could not figure out how to get on the MFO site. I did not see the return address on your card until today.

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all of your kindness to me. The flowers you sent were so lovely and the transcript from your discussion about Ted meant so much to my son and me.

Ted loved being a part of the Mutual Fund Observer. He would spend hours doing whatever it was he did. I was never quite sure what he was doing but I know it gave him great pleasure. He had his coffee every morning out of his Mutual Fund Observer mug while he was happily away on his computer.

Thank you so much for everything you have done. It does not seem enough to just say thank you, but I do thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

Lynn"
  • Very nice old skeet. Thanks for sharing. She sounds like a wonderful lady.
  • edited December 2019
    Oh Thanks @Ol’Skeet for sharing that marvelous note! Yup - That sounds like Ted ...;)
  • @Old_Skeet- Thanks for sharing that note. Lynn's comments sound right on.
  • I am very sorry to know. RIP Ted
  • It's hard to believe, but I think it's been around 8 years since I first interacted with Ted on this board.

In that first exchange, he told me he was not impressed with my blog and questioned my veracity:).

In my last exchange, Ted gave me an A+! (He was always straightforward). I considered him a lovable curmudgeon -- one whose persistence and "charm"(?) was enough to make Professor Snowball bend or maybe break the rules of the board.

He was a big, big part of Mutual Fund Observer; impossible to replace - and we will all miss him here.

• RIP and thanks for all of the information over the years.
  • I've been away from this board for quite awhile and when I do check in I always start with Ted's links. Didn't find any this time but I did find this tribute discussion and add my condolences to his family, and my gratitude for all the great information he led me to over the years.