Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

In Celebration of Ted Didesch (1937 - 2019)

edited December 2019 in Off-Topic
Hi folks,

Generally, Ted blesses us each morning with a premarket update post along with a good number of other post throughout the day.

I have not seen any post from Ted over the past few days.

Does anyone have information they might share concerning his absence?

Old_Skeet

Comments

• edited December 2019
    With a said heart ... I make this post.

I have just learned in talking with Ted's wife, Lynn, that Ted Didesch recently passed. He died of congestive heart failure. When I can locate an obituary I'll post it.

Old_Skeet

Here is a link to Ted's obituary.

https://www.hirschfuneralhome.com/tributes/Theodore-Didesch

You are welocme to make comments about Ted below in this tread. In a few days I'll print the thread and send it on to the family. In addition, comments can be made to the family through the funeral home link.
  • RIP Ted. He'll be missed.
  • Ted brought a distinctive voice to these pages. I will miss the gentleman farmer, and wish his wife well.
  • My condolences to his family. RIP.
  • My condolences to his family.
    Christmas at MFO without Ted pulls at my heart. So long, Linkster, I'll miss you, your leadership, and your banters.
  • oh, dear, sudden and sad news indeed
  • beebee
    edited December 2019
    My deepest condolences to Ted and his family, one of which is all of us...his cyber mutual fund family.

Whether it was a happy face emoji or a link to a video depicting a cauldron of hot oil...Ted always let you know how he felt.

I learned a lot from Ted's thousands...millions...of links. So, I send out one last @Ted to say, "Thanks for making me a better investor."

He would want nothing more than for all of us to continue contributing here at MFO.
  • Yes we scuffled but all families do. RIP Ted.
  • Sorry to hear this. Even being here just a few years, I've learned a lot from him. Good guy. He will be missed.

• Mark said it best. RIP Ted.
    Mark said:

Yes we scuffled but all families do. RIP Ted.

• LINKSTER, RIP
    Derf
  • edited December 2019
    Sorry for a Great Lost. Superman of MFO indeed.
    We will pray for him
    He will be missed dearly

h
  • truly sorry though like most of us i only knew him through his posts
  • Terrible to hear, but thank you Old_Skeet for sharing. I miss him already ... his indifferent obsession and irascible tone. c
  • edited December 2019
    Sad beyond words. Ted was a giant of the board, whether you always agreed with him or not. He pushed all of us to be better. And we are better for him. Condolences to his family.
  • Rest In Peace, Ted.
  • That’s terrible. I’m sorry to hear that.
  • So sorry to hear this news. And what a shock - life is so fragile, everyday is a gift.
  • Ted was a Presence here. I shall miss his posts. Sad news. But thank you for the update.
  • It's very sad news and I join all on the board in expressing our condolences to the family.
  • Very sorry to hear about Ted. Condolences to his wife and family. His eagerness to look out for us all was unstoppable and I will miss (and am already missing) his breakfast briefings in particular. He was a one-man CNBC. Cheers Ted.
  • RIP Ted. You will be missed.
  • Bee said:

My deepest condolences to Ted and his family, one of which is all of us...his cyber mutual fund family.

Whether it was a happy face emoji or a link to a video depicting a cauldron of hot oil...Ted always let you know how he felt.

I learned a lot from Ted's thousands...millions...of links. So, I send out one last @Ted to say, "Thanks for making me a better investor."

He would want nothing more than for all of us to continue contributing here at MFO.

+1

Rest in Peace Ted. Will miss your posts.
  • edited December 2019
    Found this tribute this morning from the funeral home:

https://www.hirschfuneralhome.com/tributes/Theodore-Didesch

Theodore J. Didesch

January 13, 1937 ~ December 9, 2019 (age 82)

Tribute

Theodore J. Didesch, Resident of Olympia Fields, U.S. Navy Veteran
    Beloved Husband of Lynn nee Feurer -Didesch
    Loving Father of William DideschServices and Interment Private

Arrangements entrusted to Lain-Sullivan Funeral Home 50 Westwood Dr.Park Forest, IL 60466

For information or to express your thoughts or memories in the online guest book, 708-747-3700 or www.lain-sullivan.com

To send flowers to Theodore's family, please visit our floral section.
  • Howdy all,

The Professor will be missed.

peace,

rono
  • RIP Ted. Cantankerous, yes. But very helpful too. What a source for daily insights. He will be sorely missed......
  • Ted, you were the voice of reason that kept this site focused on mutual funds. It won't be the same without you. See you in the next life.
  • RIP Ted! He was dedicated and focused on a self-mandated helpful activity day in and day out, without any monetary returns. Like many other driven individuals, he had his own way. I surely hope I have his energy and commitment to a cause all the way till the end. He will be missed.
  • Hi, guys. I'm deeply grateful to Skeet for sharing the sad news. Lynn's preference is that there be no memorial service at all. I have, however, sent a small remembrance to her on your behalf.

Quite separately, I am having an oak planted in Ted's honor. The oak is, for Germans anyway, an iconic tree. It was the tree of Thor, god of thunder and lightning. Why so? Oaks lived so long and grew so tall, with wood so tough, that they towered above their kindred, drew lightning strike and strike to themselves and lived on, indifferent to the hit that would have felled another tree.

Ted's life was long and rich, lived as he wished to live it. If I mourn his passing, it is not for the sake of the one whose long journey has ended but for the ones who remain. I wish for them the comfort of friends and joy at the time they've shared.