Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

7 bullish reasons

https://money.usnews.com/investing/stock-market-news/slideshows/7-reasons-to-be-a-bullish-market-contrarian?src=usn_invested_nl

Are you a stock market contrarian?

Investor sentiment, a measure of how investors feel about the stock market, is often a contrarian indicator of where the stock market actually ends up going. There’s an entire class of investors who proudly identify as contrarian investors. These contrarian investors look for buying opportunities when investor sentiment is low and look to take profits when investor sentiment is high. There have been plenty of negative headlines about the market in recent months, but DataTrek Research co-founder Nicholas Colas recently compiled a list of reasons long-term contrarian investors may be scooping up stocks despite the prevailing fears.

Comments

• While I agree that these reasons are reasons to be bullish, the unpredictable and profoundly negative influence that Donald Trump has on the planet greatly outweighs the combination of all of the bullish reasons outlined in this article.
  • Correct.
  • PopTart said:

While I agree that these reasons are reasons to be bullish, the unpredictable and profoundly negative influence that Donald Trump has on the planet greatly outweighs the combination of all of the bullish reasons outlined in this article.

Correct, indeed.
  • actually, many would argue the opposite, that bad actors do not have longterm or lasting effects on the general markets

of course, planetary destruction is something else ...
  • edited December 2018

actually, many would argue the opposite, that bad actors do not have longterm or lasting effects on the general markets ...

Of course, planetary destruction is something else ...

But, how would we know?
  • ?

history for the first point, lookaround observation for the second
  • Seems to me that there wouldn't be much to observe nor anyone to do the observing.
  • edited December 2018
    Old_Joe said:

Seems to me that there wouldn't be much to observe nor anyone to do the observing.

@Old_Joe, Brilliant deduction - Front of the class Sir. :)
  • "actually, many would argue the opposite, that bad actors do not have longterm or lasting effects on the general markets"

Tell that to investors in Venezuela after Hugo Chavez took power.

Actually, I agree with you, I don't think that the Mango Mussolini is going to have long term effects on the markets. I think that sanity and rising markets will return, though it may take a few years to clean up the damage.

But the US in the 20th Century was atypical for its stable politics & rapidly growing economy. Looking around the world, bad actors -- and bad policies -- often did have long-term effects on the general markets. Pick pretty much any country in Latin America or Africa in the post-war era. Pick pretty much any European country except maybe the UK in the interwar era etc.

I don't think it's likely, but I don't think we can 100% exclude the possibility that the US has become just another country, with political risk big enough to mess wth the markets.

• sure, by definition bad actors in a police state or otherwise with vast and unremitted powers, yes, lots can go bad and stay bad for a long time

this is not that

this is just a case (just, he said) of rightwingnut minority and its media setting policies

partly correctable