Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

anyone adding to emerging market positions?

Hi there. Just curious if anyone is adding to their emerging market positions and if so to which fund or ETF? I currently am holding Seafarer Growth and Income and EM is about 4% of my overall equity holdings. thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I use PRIDX. It's all over the map, with 12.5% in EM. I re-deployed profits earlier this year and am letting the principal ride. I held SFGIX for several years, almost since inception, but unloaded it.
  • Thanks for the feedback Crash.
  • In my retirement accounts I've refunded to just over 10% retirement is 30 years away...
  • I currently have an allocation of about 5% to emerging markets within my portfolio according to my last Instant Xray analysis. If I were to add to my emerging market weighting I think I would do it through purchase of American Funds Developing World Growth & Income (DWGAX) as it has a dividend of about 2.5% over adding to their New World Fund (NEWFX) which I also own.
  • EEM & REDV
  • I'm too chicken to add. I think things are going to get worse, here and in EM, before they get better.
  • Ditto what expatsp said. I think risk out-weighs gain at this point.
  • edited December 2018
    Added to 2 fund’s today in that category. (1) PREMX is a dollar-hedged EM bond fund. (2) DODLX is a mostly investment grade bond fund with around 50% in the U.S. - but it also holds some EM bonds which was an important consideration. Lightened up on my alternative strategy holdings.

Caution: I’m scared too and have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.
  • "Caution: I’m scared too and have absolutely no idea what I’m doing." Funny. I see Asia and Europe zooming upward after the Xi-Trump "temporary" agreement. I'm thinking it's a dead cat bounce. Markets ALWAYS over-react, both to the upside and the down-side. And don't forget: Brexit, whether hard or soft, still looms.

I don't know shit. Don't listen to me. ;)

• @hank: Thank you Mr. Obvious.

Just stepping on OJ's toes here because you know he's coming after your quote "Caution: I’m scared too and have absolutely no idea what I’m doing."
  • edited December 2018
    @Mark, I’m hoping OJ can bring some clarity to all this. I suggest everyone follow him.:)

PS - Haven’t yet heard anyone use the term “submerging markets” this time around. That suggests they probably have a lot farther to fall.
  • Not coming after anybody, you guys! @hank put it perfectly: " I’m scared too and have absolutely no idea what I’m doing." Same here!

Like @Ted, I'm going to downsize significantly before the end of the year. Am watching carefully as markets seem to be trying to go up a bit more, at least for the moment.
  • If I were to venture into EM yet again it might be in PRIJX.
  • I added a little to VTIAX today, but that's not specifically an EM fund. Honestly, I feel overweight in int'l as it is.
  • I have been adding slowly to Seafarer fund (4%) and Matthews Asia Dividend (5%).