Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Holding MGGPX

The fund was popular on the board some time ago thanks to Ted's recommendation but its performance deteriorates last three months. What is your opinion regarding holding the fund now?

Comments

• @MFO Members Hold !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Not selling, considering adding to.
  • MIOPX is getting hammered, too. I'm underwater with it now, but I'm holding...for now.
  • Holding and turning into the skid.
  • wow, do NOT be a short-termer

this is crippled thinking

managers need 3y min for us to assess their worth

if you cannot give them that, then do not invest

sometimes I think MFO members do not understand what mutual fund management is all about
  • Temporary phenomenon; get ready to add by year's end.
  • wow, do NOT be a short-termer

this is crippled thinking

managers need 3y min for us to assess their worth

if you cannot give them that, then do not invest

sometimes I think MFO members do not understand what mutual fund management is all about

Thank you. At least someone here has some brains.
  • edited September 2018
    If the Morgan Stanley global fund is too volatile for ya, PGIRX is another growthy, high-P.E. fund with a bit lower downside risk. It's relatively new, but appears to trail MGGPX when growthy stocks rally and beat it when they lag. (M* risk ratings show MGGPX as "high" and PGIRX as "average," and the latter's downside capture ratios are somewhat better.)

Nothing against the MS fund at all, just pointing out another option in roughly the same strategy category.

I first heard about Polen right here on MFO: search results here.
  • I recently bought both MGGPX and MIOPX. I guess it's unnecessary to own both, same manager, some overlap in int'l obviously.
  • Holding MGGPX and MFAPX. (I don't know why MS has two international growth funds run by Kristian Heugh, MIOPX and MFAPX.)
  • Likely some marketing gimmick to make it look like he isn't managing as much money as he really is. Retail investors often don't do enough work to notice these things. Institutional folks always see through this smokescreen.