Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Dumbing Down Of A College Education

2»

Comments

• Of course over the years, aside from the admission tests, course exams are also becoming obsolete. However, what I find more interesting on so many college campus' today is that conservative viewpoints, professors, and outside speakers are not welcome, and if one is not on board with liberal progressive ideology you are attacked or shouted down. To me, being exposed to and being able to discuss different points of view is what an education is all about.
  • edited June 2018
    A college education is your license to F-up in real life with an excuse, and without consequences, especially if your degree is from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. etc.

Regarding credit score, I remember when it was 150 after my identity theft. It is 800+ now, but when I think about that time and what I went through, I still feel sick.
  • Myers-Briggs "S" Types think of intelligence in terms of THOROUGHNESS of understanding. The M-B "N" Types look at intelligence as QUICKNESS of understanding. We need both, and both types will never go away, though the world is dominated by "S" Types. Test taking? Yes, those standardized tests are a one-shot (or 2-shot) deal. And they are SCORED differently than the usual tests students have to take in high school. As for me, I had just ONE teacher in high school who taught his class in a way so as to prepare us for college, where expectations were more rigorous.

The SAT and ACT are grueling, as I recall. The GRE was in my case, a DISASTER. I did better on SAT. Should there be options for those who are college-bound that do not include the standardized testing requirement? OK. But students can LEARN how best to score well on the SAT/ACT. That point was made already, above. If test-less admissions policies contribute to well-educated graduates at the end of the line, then OK. But what I notice, generally speaking, is indeed a dumbing-down that started with my own generation in the '60s and '70s of the 20th century. There are non-traditional options, like Hampshire College, near me. I dunno if they require SAT or ACT, but their entire undergraduate program is quite non-conformist when compared to just about every other institution of higher learning in the USA, and beyond. One notable graduate from Hampshire College (Amherst, Massachusetts, in the same neck of the woods as the main UMASS campus) is Ken Burns. But the local joke is:
    "Why did the Hampshire College student cross the road?"
    Answer: For Credit.
    https://www.hampshire.edu/
  • That's funny. I did spectacularly better in the GRE than the SAT. I learned my lesson with the SAT. THAT is when I realized scoring in a multiple choice test is more a matter of effort than intellect. And I'm the "proof in the pudding".
  • Until they removed analogies, it was a fine measure of language suppleness and reading comprehension --- brandish is to malice as ....
  • Yeah, but that was waste of time anyway. You just had to get to get past the fact that no one use words like "serendipity" or "procrastinate" in daily conversational english. They just want to know you can act sophisticated when needed.

In real life we have to deal with ANALogies and try to make sense of them. I'm still trying...
  • Can't tell whose point you are making. Some of us use such words all the time. Analogical sophistication isn't about word definitions only.
  • "Serendipity" not so much but "procrastinate" quite a lot. :)
  • Not only do I utter it, I actively do it !
  • @david2moran - I hope your education was worth it. You are still on this forum.

Not only doth thee utter t, thee actively like doing t
  • thou

sure, I learn something every time I check