Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fantastic Logo!

edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
And as my eye roved over it, immediately a succession of names flowed through my mind: all regular MFO stalwarts that I could somehow imagine as inspiration behind certain cryptic lines and swirls --. Don't ask -- for I will never say WHICH names they were -- but I will simply say that the logo captures the special, unique essence and character of MFO, its heritage and its contributors.

Coffee mugs, anyone??? (That's a joke, son!)

Comments

• Hi there Icyone- you've got me completely intrigued- the only logo that I can see is the one at the page top: a bull dashing out from the page, with the trading floor of the NYSE sort of dimly in the background. What on earth are you seeing?
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    I think that @icyone is referring to the new logo mentioned in the May cover essay at http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2013/05/may-1-2013/ or you can see that super-sized version here: image
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Chip! Hey, that's great! I see what Icyone means re certain FundAlarm/MFO personalities. Maybe a poll is in order!:-)
  • edited May 2013
    I see, not unlike; Rorschach ink blots testing the following:

Left to right: a down trending market/fund chart line with a bullseye symbol indicating an investor's plan to deal with the situation in this time frame; then the central area showing an erratic chart line and then another bullseye in an up trending chart line; again signaling an investor's "target" plan in dealing with an up trending market.
    The so-called chart line did indeed move through both a 50 and 200 day moving average zone; more than once.

Perhaps the icon could be used to obtain a partial evaluation of an investor's personality and attitude regarding investments, based upon what the investor envisions within the icon. I have given mine; but I don't know the implications of the interpretation of the icon.
    I've left myself wide open to your evaluation of my interpretation. Should I even be an investor?:)

Lastly, as the owl was used as a basis for the icon; one other owl attribute may have a valuable, hidden meaning; in that the owl is able to rotate it's point of vision a full 270 degrees without changing its standing position or causing damage to itself. Definitely a most positive aspect regarding investments. They also disgard the bones of their prey and move on to the next meal (investment).

Owl neck rotation links

Back to the work grind at this house.

Take care,
    Catch
  • I, too, think the new MFO logo is great.
  • edited May 2013
    David - Awesome commemtary ... On a minor note, you write: "If I put off returning my Propaganda students’ papers one more day, what’s the prospect that I’ll end up strung up like Mussolini?" Please consider the well known and time honored "Stair Method". ... Fling papers from highest point of a flight of stairs. The "weightier" ones travel downward the greater distance owing to the additional weight of the words so contained. To grade, climb stairs assigning grades in descending order. (I believe OJ has a variation of this in which the heavier papers receive the lower grades:-)

(David's May 1 Commentary is linked by Chip above.)
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    Hi OJ! Does my increasingly dim mind recall a collage/logo done at FA using posters handles? Maybe late in FA's life, but somebody even scraped up older names such as neutron. Tell me I'm not nuts.
  • I want a blue tee shirt with the logo on the back or left side of the chest!
  • The logo also looks like a bike or big of heavy construction dump truck for moving earth around.

Anyway, I looked at your two PDF documents that incorporate this logo. The black logo in there is grainy/jagged. You need to fix that. Also the blue version at the top of PDF documents is superimposed over other text. The text is not readable. You need to lay out the text on top of logo instead.
  • Hi there Hawk! Long time no talk. Seems to me that I remember something like that, done completely with text layout, if I'm recalling correctly. Great to see that you're still with us- hope all is well with you and yours!

OJ
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @MikeM2: Wonderful idea! Put me down for one!!
  • Don't start any more trouble... at least for a while anyway. I love it!
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I long ago created the design you're referring to. It's called a Wordle. There are lots of examples online. In an incredibly long process, I copied the entire text of the FA discussion board and peeled away everything except for the names of the posters. I poured that into Wordle and it created a design in which the size of names was determined by how frequently they appeared.

For what interest it holds,

David
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @David_Snowball: Aha! Yet another episode of hollow and random mind wandering!!

Wait..wait... let's not go there right now...:-)

You be a pretty clever guy for a perfessor!
  • Reply to @Investor: They now look OK. Someone fixed the PDF files since I looked at last night.
  • Reply to @Investor: No, oddly enough, we didn't. I experienced the same graininess that you noticed after chip first posted the logo, and I've experienced the same sharpness now. The file remained unchanged.

My suspicion is that the graininess might be a side effect of attacks by The Forces of Evil. The number of attempts to break into the admin side of MFO has grown from a hundred a day to, recently, over 400. Web hosts have absorbed almost daily DDOS attacks, with Google - to its credit - diverting some of the attacks to its own massive server capacity. And so the slow resolution of the logo image might be related to such behind-the-scenes challenges.

Just guessing.

David
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Reply to @David_Snowball:
    Very cool logo...just thinking out loud...a name for your owl..."Snowball"...the $nowy Owl (a wise investor)
  • Reply to @bee: Yuh ... it was based on a Great Horned Owl but somehow chip and Barb thought "Horny" wasn't in our best interests.
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Very odd indeed... I am very curious of what actually happened.

Perhaps, Adobe PDF plug-in is optimizing the resolution of the images displayed based on server bandwidth/latency but that is a long shot.
  • My logo would be a graph line rising steadily at 5%.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I are a PhD.
  • edited May 2013
    David's Wordle, recreated from the FundAlarm message board of January 2011:

Chip's Wordle, created from the MFO discussion board statistics as of this week:
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Mya Maxima Culpa!!
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: I'm glad he never attempted that "stair method". (Way too complicated)
  • Reply to @chip: That's awesome Chip!
  • I may be the only professional artist and graphic designer (retired)
    on this board - twenty-five years in the advertising business, art director,
    creative director, broadcast director, and graphic design instructor.

While I might tweak this logo just a tiny bit, it’s a very strong visual and
    elegant in it’s simplicity. Good job!
  • Howdy chip,
    Thank you for your efforts with the graphics. Most interesting.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Hi Chip- very cool- thanks!

OJ
  • Reply to @chip: Cool! Need to contribute more to see my name in there somewhere:-)
  • Reply to @Kaspa: Actually, I think that you are already there. Look closely around Hank- "above" Hank (actually to the left because Hank's name is vertical) you'll see Anna, and just (again, "above" ie, to the left) of Anna it sure looks like Kaspa if you enlarge the graphic a bit.