Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You Think Your Property Taxes are High?

The Times reports today that Billy Joel has listed his Oyster Bay, Long Island, mansion for the price of a mere $49.2M. The owner, who has other properties where he can rest his head, reports that the property taxes are not insignificant. At more than $567,00 per annum, one might have sympathy. Contrary to much that I read these days about the rich avoiding taxes, I have to conclude that some of our more fortunate brethren are in fact paying their share. Elsewhere this week the paper reported that property taxes around the country rose 33% from 2020 to 2023; that’s real money coming out of the average property owner’s pocket. In disaster-prone areas, no property insurance at any price may be available. Our car insurance just jumped about 17% for next year, a subject that was hashed over in another thread here recently.

Comments

• Just a quick back of the envelope calculation shows Billy paying a 1.15% real estate tax based on the $49.2M property value. Here in MN I pay 1.27%.So sure, $567,000 is a big number but is it out of line for where he lives?
  • @Mark: good point. I have never figured out my rate. In MI we pay the millages on 50% of the assessed value of the property.
  • Reading today (free WaPo link) I can see why Mr. Joel might feel a little slighted.

The Daniel Snyder $60M mansion in Fairfax County, Va shows the property taxes at $436,185 per year.
  • @Mark: Fairfax County is not Oistah Bay any way you slice it. Obviously I don’t have a stake in the billionaires peeing match.