Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New Morningstar Site in Late-August

edited August 18 in Other Investing
The new M* website in late-August (8/20/24) will integrate M* Investor (to be renamed M* Portfolio) and old M* Portfolio (to be renamed M* Legacy Portfolio; a tab in the new Portfolio will take one there), all into Morningstar.com. This will provide an integrated experience with a single login at the M* Home. Unclear what will happen to M* Discussions that now has a separate login - it may remain powered by 3rd party, Salesforce with M* login in name only.

https://www.morningstar.com/insights/2024/07/24/upcoming-updates-to-morningstar-investor

Comments

• Will the current portfolios in the current form be available at new M* Portfolios, under Legacy Portfolios?
  • I assume so from the link:

"...we’ll integrate Investor’s core tools, including Portfolios (which will be called Portfolio at launch), Screener, and Watchlists, into Morningstar.com...Former Premium users will be able to access legacy Portfolio Manager via the Portfolio tool...Legacy Portfolio Manager will still be available for use. We will not retire it until Investor’s Portfolio experience has reached substantial parity with the legacy version."
  • edited August 18
    Thanks, Yogi.

I use M* mostly for charts and mostly for comparative charts. I have started to use M* Investor for comparative charts as I like the daily ones over monthly or weekly for that purpose.
  • Everytime M.Star makes a major change they take away part of the premium service I pay for. They are the least trustworthy site I subscribe to.
  • Reading the link in the OP, I learned that Portfolios are available only to premium members. I thought that service is available to all members.
  • edited August 18
    M* says: "A note on legacy Portfolio Manager: Legacy Portfolio Manager will still be available for use. We will not retire it until Investor’s Portfolio experience has reached substantial parity with the legacy version. [...] Former Premium users will be able to access legacy Portfolio Manager via the Portfolio tool..."

Yogi, thanks for the information. As a "former Premium User", do you have a sense if the "legacy Portfolio Manager" will still be available for free after August 20th? Or do you think you now have to be a premium subscriber to be able to access it? I am obviously confused.
  • @fred495 , it's unclear if the free access to old M* Legacy Portfolio will continue.

Right now, there are distinct links for M* Legacy Portfolio and the new M* Investor.

1) M* Legacy Portfolio https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio-manager
    2) M* Investor https://investor.morningstar.com/

So, #2 will go away or will just redirect to the Morningstar.com.

But what happens to #1? The M* announcement is unclear. If it goes away, or redirects to Morningstar.com, then the free access is gone. This is because to access Legacy Portfolio from within Investor/Portfolio will require subscription. So, will M* keep self-standing access to Legacy Portfolio when doing this huge integration?

BTW, former Premium users were moved to M* Investor last year for the remainder of their Premium subscription, and they had to renew to maintain access.

Users will find out on Tuesday evening that is just 2 days away. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test this as I have subscription to M* Investor and I cannot test M* in free/basic-login mode. But please report this here.
  • Thanks, yogi, your reply is much appreciated.
  • BaluBalu said:

Thanks, Yogi.

I use M* mostly for charts and mostly for comparative charts. I have started to use M* Investor for comparative charts as I like the daily ones over monthly or weekly for that purpose.

I'm not clear on what the issue is here. The fund charts on the "classic" site can be set to plot daily, weekly, or monthly data points. I don't see that flexibility in M* Investor charts. Though I've barely looked at this feature so perhaps I'm missing something.

• Holding my breath.
  • I would have no reason to visit that site ever again.
  • Ya, and I just discovered that the PM has decided not to include the amount in my SWVXX into the total showing at the bottom? Whale feces.
  • @Crash

For some reason M* portfolio manager does not list even a $1 as the asset price for most Schwab MMF. ( Some of Fido's work fine) I have to do a manual transposition to another symbol or just put in "cash"
  • M* Portfolio recognizes SNVXX, but not SWVXX.
    M* Investors recognizes BOTH.
    This is strange.
  • I just use "cash" instead of MM. I get that my portfolio daily and total returns will be understated. it is OK for Govt work!
  • As per new information from Morningstar,

FREE/basic access to Legacy Portfolio will remain.

M* Discussions will continue as now.

Good that M* monitors this forum.
  • I’ve been a regular M* user for 25 years, although I’ve never paid for it. I mainly use it now to track various funds and portfolios. However, portfolio view no longer works for me. M* converted all of my portfolios into watchlists. No big deal, except it defaults to the “wrong “ watchlist every time I open the app now. The watchlist I primarily follow tracks a group of ETFs that approximates my primary investment portfolio. It is a simple way to track my investments at any given time. M* has essentially ruined that simple utility for me, so I am using their app less and less.
  • edited August 20
    @Tarwheel, try this direct link to old M* Portfolios. The Portfolios and Watchlists should be separate.
    https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio-manager/
  • This thread is timely b/c I was tempted to upload my ports to run an XRay analysis there during my discounted year ... I'll wait until the dust settles and 'reviews are in' before doing that.
  • FYI, whatever changes M* planned to implement today (8/20/2024) have not in any way affected my free login to the legacy Portfolio Manager, the only M* investment tool I am interested in besides the fund look-up function.

In other words, so far so good.
  • @yogibearbull - The link you provided works for accessing the M* site, but the problem I’m having is with their apps. Previously I could simply check my portfolios through the iPhone and iPad apps, but apparently they no longer offer that functionality.
  • Wait…what?! This new site no longer shows minimal performance data for non-subscribers?
  • A lot of the M* pages are not loading at all
  • Are people with basic/free old M* Legacy Portfolio able to access their information? Charts?

I cannot check this as I am a subscriber.

But all I see now is a button for Legacy Portfolio WITHIN the new M* Investor/Portfolio.
    Path is Home/Tools/Portfolio,
    https://www.morningstar.com/tools/portfolio/all
    Previously bookmarked direct links to old M* Legacy Portfolio & new M* Investor now go to this link.

Many features are locked without login.

M* Discussions is working normally.
  • @yogibearbull
    Your link for me (not a subscriber) opens with the 'free trial' page.
  • What I meant was those that had basic/free signups for M*.
    There are 2 reports, one each from M* Discussions and Big Bang, that free/basic access to old Portfolio is still working.

• my paid legacy still works...there is new button to switch at top.

it struck me how i was looking forward to something not breaking rather than something new&useful. but i guess even apple has lost the brand glow of the latter, and the long term convergence for great companies is neutral.
    and\or am just an old man now.
  • Update on my non-subscriber access: It’s back. I guess as mentioned earlier in this thread, that some pages had not yet transferred to load.
  • I am going to buck the trend on this thread because as a paid M* Investor subscriber I have not experienced any issues with the new site and I like most of the changes:
    1. The upgraded mobile app now works for linked portfolios (although charting and screening tools are absent presently).
    2. The "Markets" tab is much improved.
    This is a pleasant surprise as Morningstar tech has often proved over-ambitious and unreliable in the past.
    I appreciate the rigorous and detailed ratings and analysis that the site provides to subscribers.
    Although the technology and site navigation can still sometimes prove unwieldy, several of those problems have been rectified with this new release and M* continues to carry more weight in my investment decisions than any other on-line source (with MFO coming in second).