Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

American Funds active ETFs

Any interest on these etfs (7 of them) that recently came out? The fees seem higher than most etfs, but the issuers have a solid reputation.

Comments

• I've owned a stake in CGDV (Capital Group Dividend Value) for 13-mo now. Honestly II bought it for the dividend aspect but there's really not much going on in that regard so far. I have been pleased with the fund's total return and performance to date.
  • @Soupkitchen:there have been several threads on the Capital Group's suite of ETFs. If you put tickers such as CGUS, CGDV, or CGGR in the search box on the Discussions page, you'll be directed to those discussions. Several MFOers appear to be shareholders.
  • Like @Mark, we also own CGDV and pair it with CGGO (global growth). So far so good.

We have had good experience in the previous 401(k) with American’s stock picking process and multiple managers. The active managed ETFs are not clones of the American funds, but much easier to gain access and reasonable cost (ER) to American funds.
  • I bought into CGUS pretty close to inception and it has been a fantastic fund. Morningstar recently downgraded it's medalist rating from GOLD to NEUTRAL due to a management change so I'm currently re-evaluating but performance has remained excellent.
  • edited July 12
    CGUS team went from 6 managers to 3 managers and then they added 1 more manager to bring the team to 4 managers. All four are veterans. At least 1 of them has $1m investment in the fund.

Why was the team reduced?

I own the fund but did not pay attention to the above until I read @dpf749
  • American Funds issues of the last 15-20 years was largely due to fund size making them giant closet indexes. These ETF's have a ton of room to run and I've always been a big fan of their management process. I likely will forgo investing in them but will continue to pay attention.