Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Savita Subramanian: large cap value is the place to be for the next five years

Subramanian is head of US equity and quantitative strategy at Bank of America, and was the kickoff speaker for the conference. She made three sorts of arguments:

1. most market forecast models are completely useless. BoA has reviewed their performance and they have an R-squared of zero. That is, there is zero predictive validity in them. (Which models, exactly? For what time frames? Doesn't say, presumably because they would only slow things down.)

In addition, most strategists are contrarian indicators; the more they are enthused, the worse the market's forward returns. BoA has a timing model based on that: they survey strategies for their recommended equity exposure in a balanced portfolio. BoA has discovered that the best buy signal is when the average recommendation drops below 51.3% and the best sell signal is when it hits 58%. They survey 20 strategists monthly (I believe) and the current rec is about 55%, which she describes as providing a lack of guidance.

(What, you ask, is the genesis of this model? She seems not to know where it came from; she inherited it from her predecessor, Rich Bernstein, and suspects that he inherited it from his predecessor. What is that R-squared of BoA's model? No hint. And since she had a schedule conflict and had to leave right after her talk rather than do the promising Q&A with journalists.)

2. the market is in a good place just now. Traditional valuation metrics are all wrong since they're premised on an economy that no longer exists. Dynamic industries are asset-light, so book value is largely meaningless. Subscriptions have replaced sales. Inflation at 2-4% is positive for equities. Inflows are strong. The equity risk premium is historically low. US companies have been replacing people with AI which is good because "people are risky, processes are predictable." (Climate change doesn't exist, elections don't matter, we're on a permanently high plateau for ... sorry, that's an editorial aside.)

3. large cap value is the coming sweet spot. Pensions and hedge fund have become dramatically underweight publicly traded equities in favor of private equity, but the attraction of the latter is fading as correlations rise and gains are arbitraged away. In particular, she projects that boomers will need income, that fixed-income isn't attractive (we recently reached, she reports, a 5,000 year low in interest rates), and so there will be a migration to equity-income strategies centered on dividend-paying stocks. Prior to 2013, 50% of equity returns came from dividends (a troubled statement depending on the time-frame since, as she notes above, the economy has changed) and that might recur. Meta and Alphabet are both looking to initiate dividends, a sign of big tech growth stocks are maturing into more traditional corporations. Some IPOs have even played with the idea of incorporating a dividend into their initial offering (my head hurts). Sectors like energy (companies that are now rewarding their executives for decarbonizing and cash return rather than on meeting production targets), tech and financials stand to benefit.

Comments

• Thanks David. I agree completely on the LCV call being the place to be over the next few years (and I'm there already, currently very heavy in energy, utes and infra myself.)

In terms of models, I had to chuckle. First they say models are meaningless, and then they discuss how their models work best? Not sure I can brain that one.....
  • I have shifted some dough from LCB and LCG to PVAL. @MikeW gets a shout-out for pointing me towards PVAL for my consideration.
  • How do they track interest rates over 5000 years? What was Noah getting on his CD's? Asking for a friend.

Asset light? I don't mean to make a prediction, but maybe they aren't thinking about rising mercantilist sentiments and re-shoring. Chinese EV factories aren't a subscription. World-wide economic populism doesn't seem interested in stinking subscriptions.

Valuations are all wrong, but value is the next big thing. Value without assets. Hooray.

It would be nice if value was the next new thing. I own a lovely chunk of DODGX that has been toiling along for years. But I read somewhere that predictions are useless.

What's all this talk about income? What happened to total return?

In my grandfather's day these lines of arguments were described as BS, for Blue Sky, of course.
  • edited June 29
    Subramanian doesn't make sense.
    If 1+2 above are correct then Subramanian models and predictions are useless too.
    Quote "we recently reached, she reports, a 5,000 year low in interest rates" is false of course.
    See (link1) (link2) and look at 5 years.

==============

Subramanian like most others, can't make predictions either. Just 2 examples:

On 11-21-2023 (link) "‘Stock Picker’s Paradise’: Bank Of America Strategists Predict S&P 500 Hitting Record High In 2024" + " S&P 500 closing 2024 at 5,000"
    So far wrong on both, SPY/QQQ are doing great, no need to pick anything. SP500 is already at 5460.

On 12-03-2021 (link)
    Listen to the interview around 2:05, "Stocks are not in a bubble."
    The SP500 lost about 24% at the bottom in 2022.

So, looking at my dirty crystal ball, value COULD be the next thing, after all, it's been behind since 2009, but I have heard that EM, SC, and Value are surely the next thing for years already:-)

BTW, what exactly is VALUE investing? another tricky question. When NVDA PE in late 2023 was in the thirties, was that a value?

Schwab tells us (https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/ways-to-approach-falling-interest-rates)....when rates fall, "to look at high-quality stocks that are well positioned to continue servicing their debts"...mmm...isn't the high-quality stocks the ones at the top with huge cash and no debt?
  • since models are useless, she is among the pundits that get massive compensation to guess?
    hey, that's MY model , where's my royalties?
  • Been selling FMIHX.
  • Derf said:

Been selling FMIHX.

That shop seems to be good at only one thing: FMIMX.
  • I also have FMIJX & agree on FMIMX as I use to hold it. Waiting for a BIG dip buy.
  • Derf said:

I also have FMIJX & agree on FMIMX as I use to hold it. Waiting for a BIG dip buy.

I bought in the summer o 2023 after I ran across this article.

I had FMIJX in the IRA for years. Don't know why I didn't consider FMIMX.
  • "most market forecast models are completely useless...that is, there is zero predictive validity in them."

(And now, my market forecast model: "large cap value is the coming sweet spot.")

H'mmm .... There would seem to be some sort of disconnect there, but maybe it's just me.

• Old_Joe said:

"most market forecast models are completely useless...that is, there is zero predictive validity in them."

(And now, my market forecast model: "large cap value is the coming sweet spot.")

H'mmm .... There would seem to be some sort of disconnect there, but maybe it's just me.

Maybe you need a subscription?
  • I "unsubscribed" to anything "BofA" over 70 years ago. Haven't missed it at all. Not once.
  • Hi @Old_Joe
    "most market forecast models are completely useless...that is, there is zero predictive validity in them."

I read, two times; what David had posted. After the first read, I waited the remainder of the day and then read again the following day. I thought that perhaps I was having a 'senior age' moment and didn't really understand what was being presented with the statements.
    Then I imagined if this person was our 'investment advisor' and was expressing how he/she could build us a better portfolio.
    I don't think so.....
    Remain curious,
    Catch
  • @catch22 +1 Haste makes waste ! Old card playing friend often proclaimed.
  • BoA has reviewed [market forecast models'] performance and they have an R-squared of zero. That is, there is zero predictive validity in them

This is good news. No, really. We've become so accustomed to reading stories about how monkeys throwing darts can do better than these professionals that it's nice to hear that the professionals have caught up with the simians.

OTOH, it means we can no longer use market forecasts as contrary indicators.
  • Funny, I just read a noted manager state a few weeks ago that Large Cap is dramatically over valued and small cap is the pace to be.
  • Funny, I just read a noted manager state a few weeks ago that Large Cap is dramatically over valued and small cap is the pace to be.

In other words, nobody knows anything....

... and if I continue following the advice of my Magic Eight Ball and/or my Random Ticker Selection Algorithm(tm) I'll be just fine, right?

• @rforno
    I recently had both Magic Eight Balls detailed on the outside, not unlike a car being detailed. I have also awaited and now received the set of Nvidia chips I ordered; and they have been installed.
    I have both of them set for a variety of technical indicators, which have served our house well over the years; versus, well, the humans who talk about the markets, as well as many advisors. As we are on the 'senior investor' side of things, it is much easier to maintain a very simple portfolio and remain satisfied.
  • ”… for the next five years.”

I like the specificity here. I’ll have Siri remind me to sell in 5 years.
  • edited July 1
    "In other words, nobody knows anything...."
    This sounds about right.

"... and if I continue following the advice of my Magic Eight Ball and/or my Random Ticker Selection Algorithm(tm) I'll be just fine, right?"
    You'll probably be no worse off than if you followed the advice of market prognosticators!
  • edited July 1
    (link)
    Oppenheimer Asset Management is bullish on equities as H2 kicks off.

How about the truth...the SP500 has been positive at about 80% since 1980 every year. We don't have a clue what the SP500 will do in the short+long term.
    With that in mind, we are going to be honest and stop making any predictions.
    or
    Maybe any time an "expert" talks on TV, the host should pull out his/her record and challenge them. If they do that, no expert would show up and they would not have any shows. What a joke?
    Truthfully, I love these shows and experts because I giggle watching them.
  • edited July 1
    FD1000 said:

Maybe any time an "expert" talks on TV, the host should pull out his/her record and challenge them. If they do that, no expert would show up and they would not have any shows. What a joke?

The good news - This is not the same MME (Media Market Expert) I saw tanked up in the first class section of a plane recently. :)

• >> large cap value is the coming sweet spot.

I have been hearing this for over 40 years
  • I bought DODGX on April 15, 1991. I'm well ahead of VFINX, if the charts at M* can be believed.

• hank said:

FD1000 said:

The good news - This is not the same MME (Media Market Expert) I saw tanked up in the first class section of a plane recently. :)

I didn't realize that FD flies first class..
  • Wasn’t FD - Unless he’s female and works at GS.:)
  • edited July 3
    Waiting for the period when Value beats Growth is akin to waiting for the next correction or bear market.
    Think Peter Lynch.

NOTE: Don't be fooled by the performance of some LCV funds this year. Under the hoods of many of them that have performed well YTD, you will find a significant slant towards growth with very familiar names like NVDA etal. Conversely, a true LCV fund like OAKMX is UP a paltry ~6% YTD.
  • @stillers

Almost nothing other than the Mag 7 has been up more than 5 to 10% this year.

6% in six months would, in any other year, be considered an excellent performance. It is only in comparison to NVDA or QQQ that OAKMX looks bad.

Comparing value stocks to NVDA is really impossible, as they have almost nothing in common.

I have always been leery of Momentum as it can turn on a dime and I am not quick enough to get on early and always get off late. Having said that I did buy a little NVDA in March.

Consistency of earnings, reasonable prices for cash flow etc are much more useful metrics to me
  • edited July 3
    Um, you missed my point. But worse, you seem to have twisted what I said.

"6% in six months would, in any other year, be considered an excellent performance. It is only in comparison to NVDA or QQQ that OAKMX looks bad."

I DID NOT compare value stocks to NVDA. I noted what I trust many posters here are NOT aware of in relation to some LCV funds this year. That is, chances are, the LCV OEFs that are significantly outperforming their peers YTD are slanted towards Growth and/or have names like NVDA in the fold.

Truth be told, OAKMX's 6% YTD performance thru 06/30/24 is far from "excellent" for this fund. It's 5-yr average annual TR is 16.5%, so it is trailing that on a 6-month basis. Its 10-yr average is 11.5%, so on par with that on a 6-month basis, or effectively an average TR for 6 months over the past 10 years.

But you REALLY lost me with this zinger:
    "Almost nothing other than the Mag 7 has been up more than 5 to 10% this year."

Here are the 226/500, or 45+% of the S&P stocks that are UP over 6% YTD.

https://www.slickcharts.com/sp500/performance

Excerpt:

S&P 500 Component Year to Date Returns

# Company Symbol YTD Return
    1 SUPER MICRO COMPUTER INC SMCI 194.51%
    2 NVIDIA CORP NVDA 147.72%
    3 VISTRA CORP VST 127.67%
    4 CONSTELLATION ENERGY CEG 76.36%
    5 ELI LILLY + CO LLY 55.55%
    6 MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC MU 55.37%
    7 ARISTA NETWORKS INC ANET 51.59%
    8 CROWDSTRIKE HOLDINGS INC A CRWD 50.81%