Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How are you coping with the political saturation of the media?

edited June 25 in Off-Topic
Let’s see ….

While I’ve always enjoyed the Bloomberg daytime financial chatter (intelligent background noise), more and more the coverage is about Trump and Biden. I don’t mind the fact that Michael Bloomberg’s crew is pro-Biden. But damn, the concentrated over-kill gets annoying. Typically, the Bloomberg “anchor” interviews a “Bloomberg Media Political Analyst” (code word for “one of our own”) on various sordid election topics. “BAD” pretty much characterizes their analysis of the challenger. I don’t disagree. But how many more days shall we listen to this? Does it really do any good? How many Trump rank & file watch Bloomberg? Or even care about investing for that matter? Personally, I’d prefer they stick to things like stock prices and interest rates.

Not just Bloomberg. News Nation this evening chooses to waste the estimable intellect and talents of Dan Abrams by having him host “Re-runs” of the 2016 Biden-Trump debates, Holly crap. Once was enough!

I haven’t watched Fox since Chris Wallace left. But from what I hear it’s a non-stop running of AI-generated / photo-edited videos designed to make Biden look totally out of touch with reality - a bumbling stumbling dazed clownish moron (which he is not).

I turn the garbage from all sides off. Sad. Because I’ve always enjoyed the ebb and flow of ideas. Sheer torture at this point. How will we persevere?

PS - PBS stands somewhat above the frey - but they are not without politics.

Here’s your … Countdown Clock

Comments

• edited June 26
    Tis easy enough at this house the move among whichever channels we choose to view, and knowing that many shows are re-do's from an earlier time period in the day; in order to allow the viewing audience to be able select what time period is available for them, depending on their work and/or schedule otherwise. This election is the most important one I have or will ever vote.
    The possible outcomes are pretty scary, IMHO.
    I already went through the Vietnam period (Air Force) and of course all of the continued civil unrest. I recall that when I was in crypto tech school in 1967, two whom I knew quite well, chose 6 years of the Michigan National Guard to avoid active duty and Vietnam; and found themselves riding in Jeeps (locked and loaded) through the streets of Detroit, as many areas BURNED. And Detroit was only one of many large cities 'on fire', then.

Two of many songs from a long play list I put together in the early 70's, on reel to reel tape. The below song still applies to all things political and societal today.
    The tape is titled, Love and War.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=f1130f0a4590542d&q=ball+of+confusion+temptations+lyrics&tbm=vid&source=lnms&fbs=AEQNm0DBTogQXaq7JsoUAbTsd0B6JEdyvwg9pOFJlHzVj4IGyljlmelwKWALZZi_asBuBYCmnCMTz2vYY8oZ1_eIMkP8ZbHULV0gsMivuQAJD8YIKxiKkmO3NUk0IxclAd7PREoCXASQ-9xL5pqYUVy2mgVmafrPGr3y1wR9Z5B4ovuysfXlGIWGSZA15ORYJ9hSnC4eeSgztX4i5TZZmSr81nTaK8yjDQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj8mpGu__mGAxUim4kEHRkvCY4Q0pQJegQIDRAB&biw=1388&bih=559&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:a90129cd,vid:-iwLvmPUEo4,st:0
  • By turning it off. I look at the NYT headlines every couple of days to see if I've missed anything earth-shattering.
  • edited June 26
    Ditto what Andy said. I am very annoyed to be getting 2 or 3 texts a day for donations to Democratic candidates. "Triple the match if I donate now". I block the number and delete, but it doesn't matter. They have thousands of them.
  • edited June 27
    Yep. I get a lot of those emails from every Dem in the country. With the Apple mail app it’s pretty easy to shoot things over to “junk” and that kills the particular sender (like blocking).

ESPN gives me a baseball game nightly. So that helps escape the maelstrom.
  • We are already on the way to Third World Banana Republic status--- and for the complete opposite reason expressed recently by Donald Doinkhead, Jr.

I despair. Too many voters don't even know how to think. Candidates seem to think their job is to vilify the opponent. Elected officials everywhere, regardless of Party, have created a broken system for themselves to work with. So, nothing gets done. 60 votes to even get a Bill on the floor in the Senate? Madness.

Dems and Reps used to at least work from out of the same foundational matrix. No more. And that's not the Dem's fault. But the Big Tent Goal and vision re: inclusivity has reached the point of ridiculousness... In another direction, I was at the E.R. earlier today. There was a sign posted, prohibiting violence, bullying and aggressive talk. The fact that someone felt a need to display such a sign publicly is a symptom of how pathetic we have become, just how far down we've sunk.

Pathetic. Politics? GTFO. Go look THAT one up in the handy encyclopedia of nonsensical abbreviations. Are you trying to wreck my day? You can't give me one good reason why I should bother voting, either. Time for a revolution.
  • @Crash I also was in ER on Wed.. One or two cops on post !
  • edited June 28
    The U.S. surgeon general declared gun violence in the country a public health crisis on Tuesday,

In 2020, gun violence became the leading cause of death among U.S. children and adolescents, the report noted. The firearm mortality rate among youths in the U.S. is 11 times higher than in France, 36 times higher than in Germany and 121 times higher than in Japan, according to the advisory.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-surgeon-general-declares-firearm-violence-public-health-crisis-2024-06-25/
  • I try and watch a little of all the different viewpoints. It's hard sometimes watching the alternate reality they each live in. I don't watch much tv and read mostly online. We have a choice between 2 old men which is pretty sad IMHO. For me, I'm voting for a party not a president. If not for women's rights issues it might be a harder decision. I have too many women in my life I care about not to try and protect them.
  • Mental health & DRUGS , take it from there !
  • A Live look at last night's debate.
  • I turned 82 in February but for some time I have been saying that no one my age should be running for president. Hate to say it, but somebody needs to have « the talk » with the DemocratIC candidate. Last night’s debate debacle embarrassed me and many others. I’ll never regret voting for Eugene McCarthy in 1968 via write-in. Since I voted in small town in CT, the local rag reported the vote totals, including one vote for Gene. My vote was counted although I’m sure I could find an idiot who would tell me the country is rife with voter fraud. I don’t have a write-in choice for this election, but there is ample time.
  • edited June 28
    Agree with @BenWP to an extent. Something more than age here. I’m not medically trained, but the man did not look well. Did not sound well. More then a simple question of age. Was this just a “one-off? Let us pray.
  • Mark said:

A Live look at last night's debate.

Did you say, yoots? What is a YOOT?
    -----Judge Haller to defense attorney,Vinny Gambini. "My Cousin Vinnie."
  • DT= Dangerous Threat.

No watching Presidential debate here. Trump's best talent is to be a professional liar. And that Frederick Douglass is doing a great job, isn't he????? F.D. is a personal hero of mine. But the Orange Abomination? Not worth my time.

And we know that Joe often comes across in a way that does not put his best foot forward. Falling off a bike because his foot was caught in the strap? The Repulsives like to make hay with that. But that is a ridiculously insignificant incident. Debates USED to focus on serious policy approaches re: the work of governing. That's not been the case for many years, already.

The Trumpster is a convicted felon. 34 counts. How is he supposed to get the necessary Security Clearances, if elected? And if he's elected, what that says about the state of affairs in this country is too disgusting to contemplate.

Joe is not Hunter, either. Both of them--- Joe and the Orange Fart--- are too old to be doing this stuff. But at least Joe possesses a conscience. Ethics MATTERS. Although, as Colin Powell said: "I had to shake hands with a lot of (unethical) pigs along the way." When you get into "leadership" circles at the national and international level, a great many heinous ethical compromises have to be overlooked. Otherwise, nothing at all could get done.
  • I watch Sky TV or the BBC on my Samsung smart TV. I'd rather listen to news of Tory blunders than news about Joe and the Melon Felon! Hopefully, voting on July 4 will result in a large Labour majority !
  • edited June 29
    carew388 said:

I watch Sky TV or the BBC on my Samsung smart TV. I'd rather listen to news of Tory blunders than news about Joe and the Melon Felon! Hopefully, voting on July 4 will result in a large Labour majority !

+1.

Although I'd rather see someone other than Keir Starmer at the helm...... What was done to Jeremy Corbin (Corbyn?) was despicable.

• edited June 30
    ” Houston, we have a problem … “

That shout-out to Mission Control from Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell in April 1970 signaled the beginning of a dizzying full-front effort to save the severely crippled craft and return the 3-man crew safely to Earth.

I’m getting the sense the country is facing a similar challenge now. The NYT, The Atlanta-Journal Constitution and The Chicago Tribune have all published editorials urging Joe Biden to quit the race. Others will surely follow. Flubbing a debate is not a sin. But ISTM this is more of a health crisis than some are willing to acknowledge.

Something big is about to develop here … Stay tuned.
  • @hank you're on to something.