Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stashing cash, Summer 2024

2»

Comments

• edited June 9
    FD,

When you say "99+% in the market", what does this mean?
    Are you referring to equity markets, fixed-income markets, or other markets?
    Just curious...
    Thanks!
  • edited June 9
    BaluBalu said:

What purpose is RPHIX currently serving in a portfolio? Perhaps, looking for active management in anticipation of drop in yields at the short end? But at 1% ER? I think @WABAC or some one else already commented recently about this high ER. Also, one can see why @rforno’s complains about high ER on some money market funds.

YTD, USFR has kept up with RPHIX with lower volatility. I will be surprised if there are not MM with lower volatility and similar 3 mo return as RPHIX.

Every time frame I have looked at (1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, and 5 years) RPHIX has outperformed USFR. Expense ratios can be important, but ultimately don’t matter if the returns after the expense ratio are better.
  • USFR is ultra-ST, RPHIX is ST-HY with magic sauce from Sherman (who posts here).

My high-risk assets include LC-growth and cryptos, so my "cash" is plain vanilla m-mkt funds, ultra-ST (USFR, ICSH, FCNVX), etc. No more rolling of T-Bills - USFR almost does that.
  • Old_Joe said:

"In contrast, SUTXX was virtually 100% (99.61%) state tax exempt."

@msf - quite some time ago you pointed that out to me, and I changed our Schwab MMKT account to SUTXX. Thanks again for that suggestion. I have no idea how I would function financially without the good suggestions from you MFO folks.

Thanks to all of you- OJ

i wonder -- how's the fund do with california taxation, if you know. also, how do you determine when SUTXX makes more sense than higher-paying regular MMs?

and what's your thinking about BOXX, if'n you think about it at all?

• edited June 10
    @chinfist,

"Every time frame I have looked at (1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, and 5 years) RPHIX has outperformed USFR. Expense ratios can be important, but ultimately don’t matter if the returns after the expense ratio are better." [bold added]

Preaching to the choir. I probably pay least attention to ERs than most. But in the context of this thread of stashing cash and cash equivalents, a 1% ER should not be overlooked.

Each subsequent question in my post is in the context of the prior question. Answering the last question independently is inevitably out of context. If RPHIX is currently preferred over USFR, then it should be preferred over MM funds (and any 3 month (or any 1-6 month) Treasury bills) that @Chang owns.

Sorry, I do not have more time to elaborate (and not interested in debating). If you currently like the fund, enjoy it, I am not asking you to sell.

My post was trying to get more color from @chang (whose post was right above my post - I neglected by not directly addressing it to him), as to why he is using RPHIX as a cash equivalent.

There was a time when people were posting about using PIMIX as a cash sub. So, everyone has their own reasons. However, David Sherman was clear RPHIX is not a MM (cash) substitute.

• I'm always good for a comment on high expense ratios.:)

Not seeing anything out there prodding me to reduce exposure to floaters.
  • edited June 14
    Delete

• edited June 14

FD,

Just curious...
    Thanks!

Easy answer.
    First you tell me your breakdown of stocks, bonds, cash.
    Second, let me know what is your name on BB.
    That would put us on an equal base.
    Thanks
  • edited June 14
    FD1000 said:

I have only two options, 99+% MM or 99+% in the market. Then I look when to sell.
    Since 11/2022, it keeps saying 99+% invested. Right now it's not even close to a SELL signal.

I can’t believe you said that. It throws everything I’ve ever learned about investing out the window.

You surely are clairvoyant.
  • He surely is something ...
  • FD1000 said:

FD,

Just curious...
    Thanks!

Easy answer.
    First you tell me your breakdown of stocks, bonds, cash.
    Second, let me know what is your name on BB.
    That would put us on an equal base.
    Thanks
    I performed a "quick and dirty" portfolio check on 05/17/24.
    Not much has changed since then.
    My approximate asset allocations are listed below.
    US Stock - 40.55%
    Bonds & Cash - 33.02%
    Foreign Stock - 26.44%