Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just me? Or does everyone seem obsessed with the election nearly 6 months out?

edited May 22 in Off-Topic
Geez - as a regular Bloomberg media viewer, I’m finding it hard to find on-air financial news / chatter. It’s become “election, election, election” all day long. Today’s headline (regurgitated again and again): “50% of swing state voters (both parties) fear violence around the time of the election.” Damn. The good news is that Bloomberg’s website to which I subscribe continues to provide an abundance of financial news and analysis.

@Old_Joe - That toboggan ride is a great analogy. However, I’m not sure the sled can stay on the slope that long. Seems to be careening out of control already …:(

Comments

• Yeah, tell me.
  • To be honest, I don't hear any of that stuff because I tune it out. Of course I see news feeds, but I don't generally click to read a story. I don't watch the news. As we learned from the 2016 elections, polls and opinions are meaningless right up to election night. I won't spend any time listening to any of it, anything I can't control.
  • edited May 22
    @MikeM - Well, I guess you aren't a masochist like us. :)
  • edited May 23
    +1 @MikeM

I can’t drink like I did in the younger years or I’d Absolutely tune everything out!
  • edited May 23
    Have not heard from "Sarge" RonO lately in here. He's gone quiet. I recall he was saying that if the Orange Abomination gets re-elected, we're pretty much doomed. AGREED. So, he's running neck-and-neck with Joe, and RFK, Jr. is also in the mix. A real cluster-flop. We are living through the palpable day-by-day deterioration of the electorate's ethical sense, astuteness and intelligence. SHEEPLE.

IF I DO vote, it will be for C. West or J. Stein. The absurd Electoral College facilitates the longstanding, broken, misguided 2-Party system. I can't do "woke," and I can't vote, on the other hand, for candidates from a Party which decades ago sold its very soul.
    Solzhenitsyn:
    "We have so hopelessly ceded our humanity that for the modest handouts of today we are ready to surrender up all principles, our soul, all the labors of our ancestors, all the prospects of our descendants—anything to avoid disrupting our meager existence. We have lost our strength, our pride, our passion. We do not even fear a common nuclear death, do not fear a third world war (perhaps we’ll hide away in some crevice), but fear only to take a civic stance! We hope only not to stray from the herd, not to set out on our own, and risk suddenly having to make do without the white bread, the hot water heater, a Moscow residency permit."
    And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: and Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom. And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright. Gen. 25:29-34.
    There, I got THAT off my chest...
  • edited May 24
    I'm 85, and have never voted for anyone other than the Democratic presidential candidate. For the first time in my life I would vote for someone other than Biden, specifically to protest his tolerance of the Gaza situation. Unfortunately, my only other option is a potential Nazi fuhrer, who, in the utmost of irony, would get along just fine with the present Israeli fuhrer.
  • Old_Joe said:

I'm 85, and have never voted for anyone other than the Democratic presidential candidate. For the first time in my life I would vote for someone other than Biden, specifically to protest his tolerance of the Gaza situation. Unfortunately, my only other option is a potential Nazi fuhrer, who, in the utmost of irony, would get along just fine with the present Israeli fuhrer.

Well put, @Old_Joe.
  • @Old_Joe - at my age of 75 it seems that the Israeli's & Palestinian's have been fighting since near the beginning of recorded time over what? Religion? Some gods they worship but that seems like the backstop to nearly all wars. But anyway no matter what stance Biden takes he loses and there's no way I see for him to step in. At times it seems like not even the populations of the two states will accept any result/resolution other than the complete and total annihilation of the other. Insanity!

I realize that I'm over simplifying or am I?
  • Yes. Oversimplifying. Seems to me the proper historical marker is the period of months leading up to Israel's unilateral decree of Statehood.

I'll let Archbishop Chacour tell it:
  • "the populations of the two states will accept any result/resolution other than the complete and total annihilation of the other"

@Mark - Well, I'm not at all certain about "the populations", but for sure there are a significant number of people in power on both sides who seem to feel that way.