Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity Rewards Signature Card?

13»

Comments

• edited June 16
    I was surprised to learn recently that regardless of “tread-wear” tires need to be replaced at a time interval set by the manufacturer - usually about 6 years - a year or so longer with some premium brands. The reason is that the sidewalls deteriorate over time and could cause a blowout. This was pointed out to me when I had my old 2005 pickup in for routine servicing a year or two ago. The mechanic pointed to extensive visible cracks in all of the sidewalls. The tire treads were lightly worn. I drive the old truck only about 1,000 miles a year, but often heavily loaded. The tires were probably 10 years old. Of course I replaced all 4.

Edmunds Commentary: How Old / Dangerous Are Your Tires?

Per @msf’s experience with an oil change - I encountered the same resistance a few years ago when I took the old pickup in for an annual oil change at a local “quick lube.” The guy claimed the oil looked “clean” on the dipstick and at first declined to change it. Eventually, I convinced him to do so. For us old-timers that seems indeed odd. We were taught (I believe correctly) that an oil’s “appearance” is not an accurate way to to access its condition or need to be replaced. And it seems especially peculiar a vehicle service center would voluntarily turn down a chance to make a dollar. I’m wondering if perhaps there’s been some pressure applied by the EPA to encourage or coerce oil change outfits to do this visual inspection with the goal of reducing the amount of waste oil, which presents environmental challenges (though I believe it can be recycled).

”Do I receive compensation for observing that the risk is water condensation?:-)”

As the old expression goes, ”a penny for your thoughts …”:)
  • msf stated:
    Somewhere around 2015 Fidelity switched from MasterCard to Visa.

musical chairs....CapitalOne is forcing users from an early expiring Visa to Mastercard.
    Cap1's highly marketed user changes\benefits? "New Card Number"
    hidden bonus: users gifted ~1 month to manually remove and replace all their billpays and visa linked subscriptions.
  • I'm actually considering CapitalOne because of that change. I want a backup card for foreign travel - no foreign transaction fee and preferably a MC (since I've got a Visa card for travel). Now that Capital One has switched, it meets my requirements.
  • welcome to the Cap1 culture.
    i envision a forced switch to Discover in our future.