Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Yevgeni Prigozhin murdered by Putin.

edited August 2023 in Off-Topic
The Poot-suck likes to take revenge. We've seen it before. But I don't recall it happening this way, before.
https://www.ft.com/content/812c9da3-80f2-4fe1-8fad-0b4441d1977a

Comments

• Whatever the color of not-surprised is, that is my color.
  • Wow, what an unexpected accident!
  • LOL, eh?
  • No survivors. Will the Wagner group disband or someone else steps up?
    https://apnews.com/article/russia-wagner-prigozhin-jet-crash-a7859e4e57f2efa2547dfbe5bdbaa1b2

• @Crash- maybe you should edit your headline to put quotes around "plane crash" ?
  • The announcement of a passenger list so soon after the explosion would seem to indicate intimidation is at play. No subtlety with Putin, who may have been fearful for his power. "Uneasy lies the head..."
  • Usually they just fall out of a window or something. Seems like a waste of resources to get rid of a perfectly good airplane and nine other people.
  • This is no accident. It is done to send a message to those who oppose him.

As I recall, this is another scene from the Godfather.
  • Old_Joe said:

@Crash- maybe you should edit your headline to put quotes around "plane crash" ?

Hello, @Old_Joe. You mean, because the incident was so obviously intentional? Certainly no accident! And the Poot-fart cares not at all about the OTHER lives lost, either. I wonder who they were? Wagner people? Or..... ?
  • edited August 2023
    @Crash- Yeah, your new hed is right on. This morning's WSJ reports that many inside Russia believe that the plane was taken down by a ground-fired missile. Seems like a waste of a perfectly good airplane. Some of the others were in fact Wagner high-rank people.
  • edited August 2023
    11:23 PDT- This just in from the Washington Post :
    U.S. intelligence officials are considering the possibility that the plane believed to be carrying Wagner Group chief Yevgeniy Prigozhin crashed after an explosion aboard, according to a U.S. official familiar with the preliminary assessment. There is no indication thus far the jet was downed by a missile, according to three officials, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a preliminary assessment. An explosion was detected along the path of the plane, but there are no signs of a missile launch, two officials said.

imageGraphic: New York Times
  • I recall North Korean terrorists blowing up a KAL flight from the Middle East to Seoul in 1987. The apparent motive was to discourage attendance at the 1988 Olympics and to disrupt the South as much as possible. A Korean diplomat (whose sister I worked with) and his wife were on board along with 113 other innocent victims. Russia is simply a terrorist state no different from other countries who have attacked civilians in the name of their "revolution."
  • Yes, there was almost some hope with the collapse of the USSR in '90 or '91, and business interests everywhere wanted to glad-hand the Russians and include them and start doing business with them, without regard for the internal feces. And the country has devolved into a nightmare criminal mafia violent gang-ocracy. Including the terrorism and invasions of its neighbors. Georgia, Chechnya, Ukraine... others? Now the Baltics are feeling threatened. They have a right to feel that way. Meanwhile, the West is feeding weapons to Ukraine piecemeal.
  • "Meanwhile, the West is feeding weapons to Ukraine piecemeal."

Yes, true... and one reason for that is that the situation has revealed how totally unprepared we are to handle a military ground war of any magnitude. We have damned near exhausted our munitions supply, and the Ukrainians are using that stuff much faster than we can replace it. We had to send those anti-personnel bomblet cluster shells a while back because we didn't have much else left to send. 155mm shells are the basic backbone of any artillery operation, and we've run out of those?

I haven't seen anything reported on the reasons for this, but I have to wonder if we didn't use a lot of our stockpile in Afghanistan and Syria, and didn't replace it in a timely manner.

Don't think for a minute that Russia and China aren't watching all of this very closely.
  • edited September 2023
    Perhaps a safer mode of travel?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/11/asia/kim-jong-un-north-korea-russia-meeting-intl-hnk/index.html

Err … ”It takes one to know one.”
  • edited September 2023
    (EDIT: OOPS, they are meeting in the Far East.....)

@hank Very possible N.K. possesses no plane with the capability to fly as far as Moscow without stopping for fuel enroute. The Trumpster met Kim in Singapore, yes? That was a matter of airplane mileage, so I read......