Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited July 2023
    The revised indictment said that in late June of last year, shortly after the government demanded the surveillance footage as part of its inquiry, Mr. Trump called Mr. De Oliveira and they spoke for 24 minutes. Two days later, the indictment said, Mr. Nauta and Mr. De Oliveira “went to the security guard booth where surveillance video is displayed on monitors, walked with a flashlight through the tunnel where the storage room was located, and observed and pointed out surveillance cameras.” A few days after that, Mr. De Oliveira went to see Mr. Taveras, who is identified in the indictment as Trump Employee 4, and took him to a small room known as an “audio closet.” There, the indictment said, the two men had a conversation that was meant to “remain between the two of them.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/27/us/politics/trump-documents-carlos-de-oliveira-charged.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Smooth - Reminiscent of the work performed by the ‘72 ”Watergate Bunglers”
  • Yes, and when advised of the bungled break-in at Dem. HQ, and the fact that those arrested were demanding hush-money, Nixon did not expose them. Instead, he said, "I know where we could get a million dollars..." Now the Trumpster is claiming the tapes are his. Sound familiar, too?
  • edited July 2023
    I think the prosecutor has a “mole” inside the “company” giving them these details. Somebody ratted to stay out of prison themselves. “If you lie down with fleas dogs …” :)

I see this going to the SC in some fashion eventually (unless he drops out). Won’t be pretty. Always thought a convicted felon couldn’t run or serve - but apparently there’s nothing in the Constitution to prevent it. Odd, considering all the other requirements.
  • These guys make both fleas and dogs look really good.
  • @hank- Yes, that's my nightmare on all of this: the gov't actually gets a conviction, Trump gets elected, starts the appeal process and drags it out for two or three years. Or, knowing how this bastard operates, he pardons himself, and the gov't takes that to the SC.
  • edited July 2023
    ”The latest charges against Donald Trump show him and his Mar-a-Lago band to be as lame as the Watergate plumbers.”

Headline from The New Yorker July 28 - Article by Susan Glasser
  • I read her book, written with her husband.
  • Made my day.
  • The morning after the 2016 election I posted on M* that "Yesterday will go down as one of the darkest days in American history."

I was widely booed and abused and for the duration of M* being a viable forum, and was many times accused of having something called "TDS."

The accusers were primarily the same three guys: one now runs his own forum (on which political comments are conveniently strictly prohibited), one has never made an investment mistake or met a con artist he didn't like, and one is an ex-pat.

How did we get here? A diehard Red Party buddy told me in 2012 that the biggest problem facing our country was "an ignorant electorate."

I had no idea how accurate his prophecy was until Election Night 2016.
  • @stillers: you're (sadly) singing my song. My own thoughts, EXACTLY. (And the "one who runs his own forum" is now an ex-pat. I have been banned from his forum because you're not allowed to disagree with his own Repugnant-ish political views there. Not to mention that he backs the Russian Poot-breath re: the invasion of Ukraine.)
  • @Stillers- While I'm sure that you remember that I have sometimes been irritated by your "tone of voice", you should also be aware that when you present opinions or facts in a reasonably courteous manner I've sometimes either agreed with you or complemented your post.

Your observations above are appreciated. Thank you.
  • Despite urging from more than one source, I waited until this AM to read the “annotated” versions of the indictment published by The NY Times. Un f’n believable, or UFB, as my college buddies said. MSNBC and CNN reporters and analysts all were saying, “read it,” and I was a bit deaf. Now I’ll join the chorus: “Read it!” As cynical as I am, I have to say that I know at least 1/3 of my fellow citizens can’t or won’t read it, and that it will be an uphill battle to pry any of them out of their belief system.

I’ve been reading Joseph Ellis’ “American Sphynx,” an examination of the character of Thomas Jefferson. Tom was far from perfect and held totally contradictory opinions on a number of subjects, but he would never have threatened to bring down the entire democratic foundation of our country in order to promote himself or some crazy dictatorial plot.
  • edited August 2023
    I took my first overseas trip ever (to England) a few days before the Nov. 8, 2016 election. (Voted absentee of course) Part of me feared he’d be elected and I didn’t want to be in the country when it happened. So I learned of the outcome early in the morning of my last day there. Attended my last play, a comedy, that afternoon and was in tears the whole time - and not from laughter. A somber ride home the next day. Half expected to see Gestapo wielding long guns at check points upon entry back into the States.

So, nothing that has happened in terms of his absolute depravity since than has surprised me. Nothing. (I like to think I’m a pretty good judge of people.)

I’m perhaps a bit pleasantly surprised - somewhat encouraged - at many of the persons in law, politics, etc. on both sides of the political aisle that have tried to stand up to him and the mob - at great personal risk.
  • Although highly doubtful, if Trump is convicted and sentenced to jail time would members of the secret service have to go with him? Asking for a friend.
  • Yes, they will occupy the cells on either side. Presumably these chosen officers would be on their bosses shit list.
  • edited August 2023
    The good news is that it will be the first time in his entire life that he’s ever said, “Pardon Me”.
  • "....Though she’s been absent from the limelight, Trump’s Save America political action committee reported spending $108,000 in the first part of the year on Hervé Pierre, the fashion designer who has worked with former first lady Melania Trump. Save America listed the expense as “strategy consulting.”
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/03/-donald-trump-arraignment-live-updates.html

Such an utter and total P.O.S. And everyone who surrounds and supports him.
  • Come on Crash, it can't be easy coming up with something that doesn't clash with orange jump suits. I'm thinking hours and hours of work to arrive at diddly squat.
  • Well shucks. Here's what a WaPo article has to say about Trump-Jail-Secret Service

If Trump is convicted, Secret Service protection may be obstacle to imprisonment
  • Mark said:

Well shucks. Here's what a WaPo article has to say about Trump-Jail-Secret Service

If Trump is convicted, Secret Service protection may be obstacle to imprisonment

Dog vomit. Miserable bag of slime.
  • edited August 2023
    I’d predict some kind of “in house detention” or other “confinement” at MaraLargo.:)

Hard to see much good in all of this. Country’s heading for serious trouble. Do you really want to incarcerate someone who has 48% of the public and 80% of his party’s faithful behind him? How’s that gonna work in terms of governance?
  • Accccchhhhh. Will he ever get what he's got coming to him? NO. I cannot dare to print my reaction to such a prospect.
  • A guy incited a mob today in NYC. He was grabbed immediately by the police. I think he was giving away something but, of course, he may have been starting a coop of Union Square.
  • @Anna - According to early reports he allegedly was an "internet influencer" who was giving away Sony Playstation's to his fans. Mayhem ensued.