Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Doesn’t he live a gifted life? As a public servant, he does not disclose those luxury trips paid by someone else.
  • At the risk of expressing hyperbole, I am hard-pressed to think of a single decision by a sitting president that has had such a long and negative impact as the nomination of CT. The Supreme Court, and the country as a result, have suffered terribly as the court became beholden to the rich and powerful. The conservative "revolution" could be said to have gotten a foothold in 1991 with the Thomas confirmation. We now have a court majority that reflects the interests of the Heritage Society and the likes of the Koch brothers, people who do not represent the majority of our citizens.
  • @BenWP- Well and truly said, unfortunately.
  • @BenWP - +11. That party and those groups don't even have a scent of integrity in their beings. Beyond repugnant.
  • @Mark- You always did have a gift for understatement.
  • An opinion piece from Huff Post as a follow-up on the Propublica article.

https://huffpost.com/entry/clarence-thomas-supreme-court-corruption_n_64302e52e4b0de2472486256
  • edited April 2023
    And another example of Thomas-Crow corruption: a real estate "favor" to Thomas, also unreported by CT: ProPublica April 13.
  • "Doesn’t he live a gifted life? As a public servant, he does not disclose those luxury trips paid by someone else."

@Sven- Well see, the problem is that you unfairly claim that he's a "public servant". Since he's actually a "Republican far-right servant", his conduct is unexceptional.
  • As more comes out, I realize it's not just that Crow is a billionaire influencing a justice--bad enough. It's the kind of billionaire he is, distinctly creepy:

https://newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/some-reasons-that-you-might-own-a-collection-of-fancy-third-reich-table-linens

https://motherjones.com/politics/2023/04/harlan-crow-nazi-american-academy-of-arts-and-sciences/
  • I caught that the other day. If I remember correctly one of the justifications floating about was that he had them so everyone would never forget. Yeah, right.
  • Pretty fine line between "he had them so everyone would never forget" and "he had them because he likes to remember".
  • Mark said:

I caught that the other day. If I remember correctly one of the justifications floating about was that he had them so everyone would never forget. Yeah, right.

His "collections" apparently aren't open to the public, so that rationale (IIRC, it was mentioned in one of the articles about it) makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, really, Nazi dishes?
  • So it would seem to be "he had them because he likes to remember".
  • @AndyJ - yeah there is that. We're all fools except for them.
  • that's simply too weird. Warped.
  • If Crow wanted to, he could've donated this historical hate material to Holocaust or American History museums where they could be shown in the proper historical context. The fact that he's keeping a signed copy of Mein Kampf in his home where most people can't really see it while simultaneously claiming he wants to use it as a teaching aid to prevent future genocide is weird at best, or utterly hypocritical and creepy.
  • He has them because he likes to remember.
  • True that.