Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Timely Analysis of Market Declines Written in March 2020

https://www.raymondjames.com/fosterfitzsimmons/blog/2020/03/06/investors-make-money-the-old-fashioned-way-they-earn-it

I was curious about the John Houseman commercial for Smith-Barney in the 80's and a search led me to the above article published by Raymond James. The subject is not so much the ubiquitous advertisement, but the history of the numerous market draw downs that investors have endured over the past century or so. The authors of this piece could easily be writing about the 2022 market declines. The piece was prescient in 2020, to say the least. I found wisdom and solace in the historical approach; market declines are normal and must be endured. One "earns" money not by avoiding the pullbacks, but by enduring them. A nice collection of easily graspable statistics and nicely arranged tables make for easy reading.

Comments