Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* screwing everything up again

124»

Comments

• In the left panel, there is a Charting tab (#6 of 12). Add ticker there to create chart(s).
  • Thanks so much. They definitely do not make things easy for us!
  • Nice work yogi- you're a real asset to MFO-

Regards-OJ
  • indeed.
  • edited August 2022
    Just want to share that CNBC has a free app that might interest folks looking for a quick overview of funds and stocks. Mine came from Apple’s app store. Suspect it’s available on other operating systems. I’m not seeing a portfolio tracker, although it allows you to create watchlists. When running an ad blocker I haven’t been bothered by distracting ads. To use: Just look for the search icon at the top of page and enter ticker symbol. The numbers generated appear spot-on from what I can tell.

I’ve been searching for something like this since the excellent Lipper page I’d relied on heavily for years (accessed through a link to Reuters) went blank. What I like to look at, in addition to yearly performance, are: YTD, 3-month and 6-month returns. The CNBC app is rare nowadays ISTM in providing all those parameters. Yahoo might, but it’s also been coming up empty with a lot of fund searches. Wouldn’t even pull up PRWCX this morning which I don’t own but like to watch as a reference point of sorts.
  • Hi @hank
    I've used Google Finance for more than 10 years to build and use a "watchlist". Mine is only for watching changes for etf's and/or stocks. These may be viewed "real time" (1 day view) or you may select other time frames (5 day, etc.). If one places a traditional mutual fund ticker, the shortest performance time frame is one month. I use M* to view daily/weekly changes for traditional mutual fund tickers (5 characters). This link should show DKNG real time. You should also see an icon oval with the word "follow". You may click this icon to set this ticker in a watchlist. Using the search window at the top, you may enter other tickers and continue to build a watchlist. The search will also begin to build a "choice list" as you enter a ticker, to help one be able to select what they are searching. You may also remove watchlist items you no longer want to monitor.
    If there are particular news items about a ticker, scroll down the page to check.

NOTE: to the best of my knowledge, one does not need a Google account or have to log-in to build a watchlist (this link was posted without any log-in). Perhaps one can have more functions with a log-in to Google. I use Google Chrome for the browser, so I don't know what you'll see or be able to do using other browsers.
    So, you won't have piles of data about a ticker, but is a fast and easy reference page for a watchlist.

Google Finance, set for DraftKings

Let us know what you discover.

Remain curious,
    Catch
  • edited August 2022
    @Catch22, Are the 5-day, 3 month etc returns given only in graph form or are they numerically stated? Heavy left brain here. Graphs , maps and other visualizations drive me nuts. Like Sgt. Friday always said: “Just the facts Mam … Just give us the facts.” In my case that means numerically shown specific returns - not graph based.
  • edited August 2022
    @hank
    Graph only, to the best of my knowledge; and what I use. However, you may hover the cursor anywhere on the graph for a "price". But, this doesn't give you a performance number for a period of time that you prefer.
    I understand about some visuals.............I have a dislike of the "dot plots" used by some.
    But, the page I linked is a good, quick and dirty view; overall.

Joe Friday, I am sure; had hangups we will never know about. He didn't smile much; which causes me concern about his outlook on life.
    Perhaps he was good with the crime statistics charts presented for his use. I think he would be a "Twitter guy" today. AND would probably be real "anal" using Google Search......"just for the facts".
  • giggle.
  • i'll check out the cnbc thing. thanks, hank.
  • With respect to anything "Google", just remember that everything that you say or do will be available forever to anyone that Google can make money from.
  • edited August 2022
    Yeah. Thanks @Catch22. I need a simple list of numbers / dates or durations to reference. From that data I can draw connecting arrows, circle things and make little notations on the side with pointy arrows. And instead of a road map, just say “Go north 3 blocks and turn right. Proceed to the next …”

Yeah - @Old_Joe. For sure. I refuse to stay “signed in” as they and others ask. Of course, that won’t stop the tracking. Off the reservation now (sorry) - But what will be the state of AI in 50 years? / 500 years?
    Might make a good OT thread.
  • Old_Joe said:

With respect to anything "Google", just remember that everything that you say or do will be available forever to anyone that Google can make money from.

+1, @Old_Joe. I'm still happy with DuckDuckGo as a search engine, which I learned about from you right here on MFO. Nice to have now that we know Google's real mission statement is "Do Be Evil."
  • @AndyJ- Thanks, Andy. Appreciate that.
  • Anybody tried the M* Investor portfolio manger recently?

They apparently ignore all but one of your current watch lists when asking if you want to transition from "legacy". The watch list they offer me I deleted sic months ago, but there it is. None of my current ones are avaliable

There is an "Import" function now but all asks for is ticker symbol. I still don't see anyway to import tickers, average costs and number of shares in one sweep, the way I can in "legacy" to set up a current watch list of my actual portfolio.

So basically they took a great product and killed it.

• truth. Making the simple complicated. "If something WORKS, don't FIX it!"
  • @Crash- well that's pretty close to what we used to say in radio work: "If something works, don't f___ with it".
    :)
  • Old_Joe said:

@Crash- well that's pretty close to what we used to say in radio work: "If something works, don't f___ with it".

:)

LAUGH! Yup.
  • edited September 2022
    Had a boss once at a garage where we did vehicle repair who’d quip, “We’ll fix it or f*** it.”

Crap. Getting too OT on the thread. Umm … I used M* very little. But had a great link to Lipper thru Reuters I relied on for about a decade. Went blank couple months ago. Nothing I’ve found compares. So much performance data at a glance. Everything from 1-week to 1-month to 3-months out, etc. Highly accurate so that with etfs those performance numbers were constantly updated all day long. Great way to see how an investment was reacting to financial news / events.

As I inferred, investing got a bit harder when I lost that Lipper link. There are other Lipper links at M/Watch, but they do not have the same data and layout as the old one. As for trackers, M* did me a favor by shutting down the archaic service. The IOS app I use now for pennies a day is infinitely superior.
  • edited December 2022
    My default view of the portfolio at Morningstar has been alphabetical since forever. Suddenly, it's not. The listings seem to appear as a random collection without logic. And there's no way to make it alphabetical again. Doink-heads at Morningstar. Truly gonads for brains over there.
    *EDIT: fixed. I ACCIDENTALLY stumbled on the way to return my default view to the way it was. Dunno how I got there.
  • Above each vertical column is a heading. The leftmost column is headed "name". Click on "name" and the names should arrange themselves alphabetically. Clicking on other headings will arrange the name numerically according to the heading.
  • Ben said:

Above each vertical column is a heading. The leftmost column is headed "name". Click on "name" and the names should arrange themselves alphabetically. Clicking on other headings will arrange the name numerically according to the heading.

Thanks, @Ben. That explanation might be useful to me down the road, and maybe others.
  • Good, until the Portfolios go away in 2023? Funeral was delayed from 2022 in response to outcries of premature sudden death.
  • edited December 2022

Good, until the Portfolios go away in 2023? Funeral was delayed from 2022 in response to outcries of premature sudden death.

Yes, I have the "new and improved" crap-ola version bookmarked, too. Great business model: take a thing that is familiar and useful. Jumble it every which way but loose and present it as better than sliced bread or Jesus Christ. Then backtrack, because.... it's NOT useful and easy to navigate.
  • It refuses to load Portfolio Manager right now, after repeated attempts. Just frozen. Won't do anything. 7:35 p.m. Hawaii Time, 12:35 a.m. in the East. Doggy dookie.