Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seeking Alpha Membership Value Opinions

edited May 2022 in Other Investing
SA is offering 1 yr Premium membership for $15 per month. I find myself shut out of articles on the site I might want to read, and one of my fund managers posts his updates there to my chagrin. I am thinking of cutting loose an aggressive growth stock letter I have read for several years. The only other service I pay for is M* Premium. If MFO people subscribe to SA I would appreciate their opinions.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    @BenWP- FWIW, I think that this certainly qualifies as a legitimate "Other Investing" topic. I suggest that you change the category, as the exposure here in "OT" is (unfortunately) minimal.

OJ
  • Good idea
  • I cancelled it a few months ago in protest of their insane news headline trends, but just renewed at the 50% price, which I find fair. Their data presentations and screeners are much more usable to me than M* and the reader comments are a decent sanity check on ideas from time to time. By contrast, many of the contributors' articles are .... meh, since oftentimes they're either shilling their respective services or demonstrate their newbieness.
  • If I read another headline about the latest "undiscovered safe" stock or fund with a yield of 10% I will throw up.

All you have to do is look at ATT. What good was the 6% dividend when the stock is down 20 to 30% in the last 3 to 5 years?
  • sma3 said:

If I read another headline about the latest "undiscovered safe" stock or fund with a yield of 10% I will throw up.

All you have to do is look at ATT. What good was the 6% dividend when the stock is down 20 to 30% in the last 3 to 5 years?

Yeah, there definitely is a herd mentality over there. I've complained loudly about their sensational breathless reporting of everything Saint Cathie of ARKK would do or say, and how their 'Why did ABC move up/down today?' headlines being nothing more than Motley-Fool clickbait-class nonsense, but who am I to be listened to.
  • edited May 2022
    "who am I to be listened to"...

You seem pretty listenable to me.
  • Old_Joe said:

"who am I to be listened to"...

You seem pretty listenable to me.

Thanks I agree. I often find myself quite listenable when talking to myself. :)
  • @BenWP, sorry to be late in replying. Awhile back I was in similar situation as you on subscribing SA and finally decided not too for other reasons. Since I subscribed to Barron’s and Apple News, adding SA would be too much to keep up with. As you may have found that many authors like to over-marketing their articles by using catchy titles as examples stated above. There seems to be a inverse relationship between the quality of content and the title.

In short, there are quality work posted in SA but you have to been selective on what you read. $15 per month is reasonable considering Barron’s costs $20 per month. You can always cancel after several months if you no longer find it useful to your investing.
  • edited May 2022
    … considering Barron’s costs $20 per month….”

Prices will vary of course. But a Kindle subscription to Barron’s is currently $12.49 per month.

Depends on what you’re looking for. No one size fits all. They all have something to offer. I sometimes check out out Zack’s free online stock ratings when considering a stock purchase. A single good tip or recommendation from any of them is likely to compensate you for the price of subscription - and than some.

Ben Franklin: “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest..”
  • Thanks to those who chimed in. I’m signed up for SA with my finger on the cancel trigger. I am also fooling around on StockCharts, but that site does not seem to be in my wheelhouse.