Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ernest Shackleton's ship Endurance, lost since 1915, is found off Antarctica

And here's a great story from NPR.
A short excerpt:
An expedition that set out in search of the lost ship of polar explorer Ernest Shackleton has found it — 106 years after the vessel sank off Antarctica.

The wooden ship Endurance has been located about 10,000 feet underwater in the Weddell Sea, remarkably intact.

The find is "a milestone in polar history," said Mensun Bound, a maritime archaeologist and director of exploration on the expedition, called Endurance22.

"This is by far the finest wooden shipwreck I have ever seen. It is upright, well proud of the seabed, intact, and in a brilliant state of preservation. You can even see 'Endurance' arced across the stern," Bound said.

Comments

• Awesome. And they made it out alive. PBS News Hour Covered it tonight as I’m sure you know.
  • @Old_Joe - when you posted this yesterday I could see your pictures (images). Today I can't. Any ideas why?

BTW - it was an awesome find and the name Endurance is very fitting.
  • edited March 2022
    @Mark- No sir, I have no idea on that. The HTML code for the picture simply directs your browser to the data stored at a particular internet address, in this case an NPR picture file.

Unless you take some specific action to store that image data, such as "Save Image As" or taking a screen shot, the image will not be stored on your device, but will simply be viewable as long as your browser is connected to the site, in this case, NPR.

The reason that I explain it that way is to emphasize that once your browser leaves a data site such as the NPR image file, the only way that you can see that image again is to revisit the NPR site and regain access to the particular data file.

As long as that data is still there, your browser should be able to retrieve it. I'm still seeing the three pics right now, so they are still available from the NPR server. Why your browser is evidently failing to retrieve them is a complete mystery to me.

BTW, I'm certainly not any kind of "expert" on all things internet, and lots of times I'm as mystified as anyone else when things don't work as expected.
  • edited March 2022
    10,000 feet down is hard to fathom. Fishing Lake Michigan for trout & salmon years ago we’d occassionally get as deep as 150 feet using lead weighted downriggers. These had a lead ball 10 - 12 pounds in weight attached with a “trip” mechanism to release the line when a fish was on. And it was hard keeping a lure running anywhere close to bottom while trolling 1-2 mph. Cranking one up manually was a workout. So, 10,000 feet is very impressive. I’ve fished in over 200 feet, but with lines higher up off bottom.
  • "10,000 feet down is hard to fathom."

Not really: 10000 feet = 1666.66666667 fathoms

:)
  • edited March 2022
    Good one OJ!

So this is interesting. It must have to do with the browser or cache on my older Mac laptop. Everything is fine on my 2021 model but not on my 2010 similar. Both have been maintained with all updates and what not so I'll have to do some digging. Thanks for the input.
  • edited March 2022
    Happy to try and help... thanks for your response. I'll add that to my store of miscellaneous info which might just come in handy sometime.

OJ

@Mark- It just occurred to me that an interesting test might be to try a different browser on the older Mac to see what that does. I'm Mac also, but I prefer Firefox to Safari. Opera also works well on my Macs. I'm still using using El Capitan 10.11.6 on a fleet of "late 2014" Minis.
  • And the term “Mark Twain” originally referred to a river depth of 2 fathoms (12 feet) which was considered minimally safe depth for a riverboat to operate in. BTW - no problem with those photos here.
  • Very good! 5 points for you. :)
  • On second photo that Old_Joe provided, could someone tell me or figure out what I'm looking at in lower left-hand side of photo ? Did part of the side break away ?
    Anchors away, Derf
  • Hi Derf- That's a good question. At your request I downloaded, enlarged and enhanced that photo to see if I could get more detail. The photo has good pixel density, and I was able to get a pretty good enhancement.

That item you wonder about appears to be a large heavy rectangular wooden beam which has broken away from some part of the ship's lower hull. At the top right of that beam are three evenly-spaced and cleanly cut notches, indicating that there was formerly a joining at those points to other parts of the hull system.
  • Thanks @Old_Joe , You're the best !
    Enjoy your Sunday, Derf
  • I just love reading about this. Shackleton's were brass. Not much of a husband and father, but a man with the physical and intestinal courage to move mountains. He and his crew, all. Those exploration adventures are among my favorite things to read and watch and learn about. He's buried at South Georgia.
  • From The New York Times- Details of the expedition which found the Endurance.

And two wonderful pictures of the original expedition-

• edited March 2022
    @Old_Joe - What an incredible photo! (top). Makes me thirsty for something “on the rocks.”:)

Being of USCG vintage you’ve probably been exposed to ice breaking. While we don’t see ice like that in the Great Lakes, it’s always fascinating to watch the “breakers”, as they are called, doing their work.

From Frost: … “I think I know enough of hate to say that for destruction ice Is also great and would suffice.”
  • edited March 2022
    Yeah- that top photo is just incredible. I never served on an icebreaker- they liked to send me to Loran stations. A year at Tarumpitao Point, an extremely isolated spot on Palawan Island in the Philippines, was one of the best years of my entire life. At the time, some sixty years ago, there was nothing there but our Coast Guard station and the local natives.
  • Loving this thread.
    Palawan is resorts now!
  • edited March 2022
    Yes, it is. A fairly "high-end" tourist destination, from what I understand. Sixty years ago there was absolutely nothing at Tarumpitao other than our small cinder-block Loran station, a native village with about a dozen bamboo & rattan shacks raised about four or five feet on skimpy stilts, with the chickens, dogs and pigs running around underneath, and a very distinctive odor. The only other building was a Quonset hut left over from WW2 which the Coast Guard had rebuilt into a decent one-room schoolhouse. A resident teacher had been sent down from Manila.

The school had a grass volleyball clearing, and once in a while some of us would go over for a match against the schoolkids. We didn't win one singe game the entire year that I was there.

The entire station crew was only about 14 Coasties. Sometimes a few of us would head over to the village at night to sit around in the head-man's home, drinking San Miguel and generally bs'ing. The only lighting was from a couple of San Miguel beer bottles filled with diesel fuel from our station, and a piece of rope for a wick.

One of our crew was a well-qualified corpsman (paramedic), and every morning there was a sick-call for any of us with a health issue, and likewise anyone from the village. Everyone was treated equally. No charge.

The "airstrip" consisted of a narrow swath of grassy weeds with a tall wall of jungle on the sides and at the end. A real heart-stopper, that was... absolutely no margin for error.

Best year of my life.