Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is there a printing feature on MFO?

I have been looking for a print button to be able to print a thread in the discussion section. This would remove all colors and designs from the page, and allow one just to print the written text. Does this already exist?

Comments

• No. But threads are available through an RSS reader. You can get something closer to what you need through that mechanism.

I do not remember the URL for RSS though... Someone else can chime in.
  • I suspect that Accipiter will, when he next drops by, weigh in on this question. A. has done a huge amount of custom programming for the board and is the person most able (and most likely) to say what's possible and how. You might just need to be a bit patient.

David
  • I selected the text in the posts in this thread, copied them and pasted them in notepad on a Windows computer. It produced the following which sounds similar to what you want:

Is there a printing feature on MFO?
    ▲ ▼ Soupkitchen 7:39AM Flag I have been looking for a print button to be able to print a thread in the discussion section. This would remove all colors and designs from the page, and allow one just to print the written text. Does this already exist?
    ▲ ▼ Investor 8:27AM FlagReply No. But threads are available through an RSS reader. You can get something closer to what you need through that mechanism.

I do not remember the URL for RSS though... Someone else can chime in.
    ▲ ▼ David_Snowball 2:08PM FlagReply I suspect that Accipiter will, when he next drops by, weigh in on this question. A. has done a huge amount of custom programming for the board and is the person most able (and most likely) to say what's possible and how. You might just need to be a bit patient.

David
  • You may want to try cut-and-paste the content into Word. All highlighted contents including graphs and etc will be copied, while with notepad only the text is transferred as noted by Anna above.
  • I checked the Vanilla forum website for any add-ons that might give us that functionality, but couldn't find anything. Hopefully, @Accipiter will take a look soon. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some good ideas.
  • edited March 2013
    @Soupkitchen said
    >Is there a printing feature on MFO?

no.

@Investor said:
    >But threads are available through an RSS reader. You can get something closer to what you need through that mechanism.
    >I do not remember the URL for RSS though... Someone else can chime in.

yes it is described in detail in the downloadable documentation. or briefly Categories on the top right and then clicking the orange rss icon on the page.

@David_Snowball said:
    >I suspect that Accipiter will, when he next drops by, weigh in on this question

weighed - Anna and Sven decisively load the scale.

@Anna said: and sven ealso had a suggestion
    >I selected the text in the posts in this thread, copied them and pasted them in notepad on a Windows computer. It produced >the following which sounds similar to what you want:

yes, that is exactly what I do. It is simple and quick. Highlight test you want to copy . press ctrl-c to copy or use the browser copy button. Open up notepad, wordpad, your email, word, excel, etc. Press ctl-v to paste or use the browser paste command and what was in your buffer from the copy will be transferred to your other program (notepad, wordpad, excel, word, etc).

@chip said
    >I checked the Vanilla forum website for any add-ons that might give us that functionality

there are none, you are correct, and I don't forsee any in the future. Most people just cut and paste.

Also if you want text based information from a certain discussion go to your profile and add a checkbox for email notification for any bookmarked thread. see OJ's extensive documentation, it's worth the read, and that's why he wrote it.

and chip and david I am still hoping for a response from you two on whether you want to allow users to create poll or remove the poll feature.

Investor also wants "mark all viewed" removed from the mobile menu - I can do it. But you have to ok it.
  • edited March 2013
    :-):-)
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @Accipiter: Specifically this is what I said privately...

Hi, could you remove "Mark All Viewed" and Summary buttons from the mobile version of the site just like "MGR" link does not show up on the mobile version of the forum. As it is right now the blue bar is spilling on two lines on iPhone and taking some extra screen space that would be used to viewing the actual forum or message content. I think "Home" link would be more useful for the mobile users to jump to Wordpress to reach out to David's commentary or fund profiles.

In other words:

The full version of the forum:

Home Discussions Activity Inbox (user) MGR Mark All Viewed Summary

Mobile version (currently)

Discussions (user) Inbox Mark All Viewed Summary

(And Summary flows to next line)

Proposed change:

Home Discussions (user) Inbox
    @Accipiter said that if permission is given, it is one line change.
  • Reply to @Investor:

@Accipiter reminded that the RSS feeds are available via:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/categories/all

However, I did check and only the opening post of the thread is available in RSS feed. In other words, it is the RSS feed of the category listing with the first post text inserted. If you need something other than the first post, you will have to copy and paste. I am not sure if there is a Vanilla plug-in that makes the individual threads in RSS feed format.
  • I can definitely agree with the making the changes to the mobile version of the site. I think it's fine to go ahead and do that.

I'll ask David for his opinion on the polling. Personally, I'd lean toward allowing a limited number of folks to create polls, at least initially.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @chip:

ok. I just completed changes to mobile version.

>I'll ask David for his opinion on the polling. Personally, I'd lean toward allowing a limited number of folks to create polls, at least initially.

and now anybody who is interested in creating polls knows who to ask (not me) and then you guys can direct me, or if you want to remove the feature either way.
  • Reply to @Investor:

Permssion was granted and its now Done to your specs.

actually it turned out to be 3 line changes - one per.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Thank you. Looks great.:)
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @chip: Thanks for allowing the mobile version changed.

What is the concern about allowing folks to create polls? What sort of potential problem you and David are concerned?
  • Reply to @Investor: I don't have many concerns about the polling, other than some clutter caused by a bunch of folks deciding to create polls all at once.

However, we've been having some intermittent connectivity problems with the site and I'm trying to determine the source. Our hosting company changed out some equipment last night, and I'm hopeful that was the underlying cause. If not, though, I'm going to have to take a look at the database and the queries as another possibility. Since this is really outside my area of expertise, it's hard for me to troubleshoot if there are a lot of other changes (or new types of activity) going on at the same time.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @chip: Thanks for the explanation. My experience in recent days have been positive. I did not see the posting issues others have experienced. I might have been lucky...
  • Reply to @chip: With technical problems it's always more fun and a lot more challenging to change three or four variables simultaneously before starting to find the actual problem. I used to work with a tech who always started troubleshooting that way. Drove me absolutely nuts, but the worst part was that he actually was pretty good at fixing stuff. I think that our supervisor used to pair us up just for laughs, but we actually made a pretty good team.
  • Reply to @chip:

I agree with the possibility with clutter. Perhaps making "Investor" and one or two other "poll creators" in charge of making polls and people submitting poll questions to them?

Also, what connectivity errors related to PDO do you get and how often? If they are PDO maybe I can help?

I suspect the other connectivity errors are beyond your control (either they are related to the provider which may have been corrected last night, or user providers which are beyond your control).
  • Reply to @Accipiter:

* We already have a poll feature on the site that can be attached to the polls on the right column. Few people actually use it, Why do we think that folks will be rushing to create a lot of polls that involve fund tickers?

* Also programming can be enhanced to have allow say 1 poll per day per login (or something like that). To prevent people from creating new accounts to bypass the restriction, you can add restriction to require the poster has been with the site for a week and had a post within last week.

* Polls forum can also be a moderated forum. So, if someone goes on a polling spree the moderator can stop that madness.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    I think I work with this guy, now.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @Investor:

As far as restrictions

I don't plan to enhance the program, so this sounds the best
    > So, if someone goes on a polling spree the moderator can stop that madness.

But the ball is still in "chip and david's court". i expressed my opinion, but as I said before I don't care, and the ball is not in my court.
  • With the latest vanilla update the mobile version blue menu bar reverted. Can we fix that again please?
  • is it correct now?
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Yes. Thank you very much.
  • great, thx for the heads up.