Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FRIFX , VGSIX, VGPMX and Other Steady Eddys

beebee
edited March 2021 in Fund Discussions
Since February 2020 FRIFX has bounced back close to even from its 35% draw down.

VGSIX fell 43% and has clawed back all but 5% of its draw down.

YTD they both have had steady returns of:
FRIFX up 6.27% with very little volatility
VGSIX up 10.77%

On a short term (1 month basis), many of my funds are testing their early March 2021 lows today while the RE sector holds steady.

Other sector funds holding steady:
VGPMX & PRNEX - Natural Resource

Any other steady eddys in equity / bond land?

Comments

• edited March 2021
    POAGX fell 35.34% and currently is up 26.13% over it's March 2020 high.
    MGGPX fell 27.28% and currently is up 39.14%.

Not sure if they qualify as steady eddys but it works for me.
  • beebee
    edited March 2021
    @Mark,

Patience has paid off with POAGX this past year. Three year (2018-2020) performance was average to awful, but much better since March 2020. It has required a long term approach which I continue to have.

I guess what I mean by "steady eddys" is what many experienced with PONDX (Pimco Income) for a very long period of time. A fund that day to day, week to week, month to month... exhibits low volatility / positive performance.

FRIFX has had a nice steady short term (low volatility) run as a of late (since March 2020 lows). YTD, POAGX just broke down below FRIFX which has me monitoring POAGX. I don't own MGGPX, but it has broke down even further.

Curious what seems to be holding up (still positive) in your portfolio YTD.

YTD:
    FRIFX up over 6%
    POAGX up 4%
    MGGPX down 2%

This article falls into my thinking lately:
    It would be better if the market ripped the band-aid off these growth names instead of dragging it out with false rallies. Just crash them already and get it over with. But unfortunately, the market is not here to provide us with comfort. Risk hurts.

Maybe this is a buying opportunity. Or maybe there is still time to sell. How you think about these things depends on your past experiences, your style of investing, your timeframe, and a whole host of other items.

I think the risk I’m taking today will be rewarded in the future, but I’m ready for more pain tomorrow.
    the-worst-type-of-sell-off
  • I have not sold off a large FRIFX holding yet, but it provides no real diversity, its steadiness insufficient last March.
  • beebee
    edited March 2021

I have not sold off a large FRIFX holding yet, but it provides no real diversity, its steadiness insufficient last March.

I agree... Draw down - peak to valley (Feb-Mar 2020) was almost 27%.