Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investing at the All Time Highs In VFINX

2»

Comments

• You are right, @davidmoran, to question a description of a strategy that includes the pointless use of jargon. If the manager sells a lot of shares for a gain, he does not "unlock" capital gains. How, for instance, can a mutual fund "approximate" a benchmark? The former editor in you must cringe when you read this tripe.

My bête noire these days is NPR reporters being interviewed about almost any subject (grave or frivolous) who respond to each question with "Yeah, so, I mean..."
  • edited January 2021
    @Mark,

thanks

A very experienced financial writer friend whom I freelance with sometimes quickly fixed Uppaluri's comical regurgitation:

The fund's concept is to track the total return of the Russell 1000 Index while having less of that return consist of income. It invests in a representative sample of stocks in the index, favoring those with low or no dividends, and also minimizes capital gains in two ways: by managing how they're offset by losses and by keeping turnover low. In recent performance the fund's total return has been well within its target [+/- tktk] limit, while on average trading only 14% of holdings a year.