Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual funds ... who is adding to positions

2»

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Added to BALFX, and will continue adding from some cash proceeds of previous sales earlier in summer.
  • Recently initiated holding in ZEOIX and added to IOFIX. Plus, recently picked up GE at under $13 ... it had a really good day today (ha). Own just three mutual funds currently: SIGIX, ZEOIX, IOFIX. Plus MINT.
  • edited July 2018
    @slick. I did recommend R6 version of ABALX to a family member recently, which he was able to get with no load and rock bottom er through his 401.
  • We've owned no-load ABALX just forever in varying amounts. Very decent fund of it's type. Not adding to anything right now, Battening down the hatches with establishment of a CD ladder. But remember, I'm going on 80... were I younger, I'd be much more aggressive.

I'll give Ted this: he knows his way around the markets, and he's still going for the big kill.
  • @CB,
    That looks fascinatingly conservative. Are you in your 70s?

GE has got to be a steal for the nervy. (I was going to buy a bunch of BAC a week or three ago but quailed, and of course it has climbed nicely since then.)

@OJ, yes, Ted has posted the moves of a winner.
  • I looked at GE. Then I remebered another old DOW paticipant, Kodak. Will GE also follow the bankrupcy path or will they take the innitial steps and have to sell off the only assets that that still make money? I think it's at least 50:50 on bankrupcy.
  • edited July 2018
    @davidrmoran. Ha! Yes, after being heavy for years in BAC (big win) and FAAFX (massive disappointment), reached a level where I'm happy to make just to make a steady return. AKA ... risk averse. Even then, I know low vol does not always mean low risk ... so try to keep fairly tight reign. I think Junkster has had a pretty big influence on me the last few years ... Sam Lee too. I'm "only" 62, but my daughter reminds me: "Everyone knows over 60 is old, dad." Have decided recently to not tap SS until 72, that's plan anyway. c
  • It won't be quite like Kodak to the extent that it's not as based on dying tech.

I heard Immelt speak at one of my kids' grad school graduations (he'd gone there), and he was extremely sensible and impressive.
  • edited July 2018
    Kodak died because of very bad management. It tried many things to diversify and failed miserably. You only have to look at the Japanese company Fuji Film to know what was possible. Same core product line, different results. Kodak invented digital photography and stuffed it in a closet hoping no one else would notice what it meant for future technology expansion (can you say cell phones or anything that uses digital imaging?) In the 60's-90's Kodak had more pattens than most any other company in the US. It's research and development was 2nd to none.

Technology changes all the time, at a faster rate now than ever before. But Kodak failed because of management, period. I know. I experienced the many jaw dropping very dumb decision.

• @Charles. Did you mean 70 instead of 72 for tapping SS ? Nothing gained by waiting 2 extra years.
    Derf
  • @CB,
    You have to take it before then, but alap does help enormously, and what I did.

Interesting you are so conservative.
    I would say, rudely and unasked, that the odds of being able to do as you wish w SS would be highly influenced by your willingness not to be quite so conservative. But I do not know your proportions. So myob and g/l regardless.

Oh, to be 62 again. Your dau is mistaken :). She can speak of it again in 20y.
  • @Derf. Yes, exactly ... I meant 70! (Proof positive my daughter is correct.) Thank you!
  • @davidrmoran. I'm very fortunate to have worked for a very good company a very long time when pensions actually existed. So, not too much pressure for yield ... as long as nothing awful happens. And yes, I know about my jewel of a daughter. I (half) think she is just pulling my chain. Hope all remains well. Thank you sir.
  • good on you for the pension, yes

not only is nothing gained by waiting, but I think they send it to you automatically, if they can locate you

probably even if not

right, nothing needed other than being conservative; otoh, some would take that as an opportunity to do largely equities, conceiving of the pension as a bond ...

sleep-at-night is paramount, of course