Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Supreme Court Says No More 'Agency Shop'

Comments

• @BrianW
    What the hell is this: 'Republican governments have made voting more cumbersome, in order to winnow out the disproportionately poor and minority voters who such restrictions would discourage from the hassle.' Black, White or whatever, we show up, show ID and then vote. How is this more difficult for minorities?
    Many poor minorities do not own a car and therefore do not have a driver's license or passport because they haven't been overseas. I could show you evidence of the difficulty for them getting appropriate ID with article links, but is it really worth it? I honestly think no amount of contrary evidence to your preconceived notions would matter to you. What sort of evidence is even possible to change your mind? None I suspect. Please tell us otherwise.
  • @Crash: there is a portion which should be devoted to taxes but within the framework of a balanced budget. You want something else, sure if you can fit it within that budget. And, the taxes should be based upon consumption, not savings. And, the government should be audited annually to insure all money is going where it is needed. And yes, my income, land, savings and other property belongs to me.
  • @BW, shoot, and here I thought you were a serious person. Jeez, way to disappoint. If by 'my candidate' you meant BO (and you don't know that), he won the individual vote by like 9M and 5M. 'Majoritarian insanity' is a great phrase and I shall use going forward, thanks. Your court case and your constitutional understandings are weak, and typical. Going forward, I sure hope no female you know ever wants an abortion.
  • @LewisBraham: you are correct, no amount of links would help. The entire premise that it is harder for Blacks to vote than Whites, is insulting.
  • edited June 2018
    @davidmoran: Me too, seriously.
  • edited June 2018
    @LewisBraham: are you saying poorer Whites are more capable of making it to the polls than other races? If yes, please tell me why. And, no links please, just tell me from the heart.
  • Old_Joe said:

"COMMON GOOD"

@Crash- Sorry- Invalid Concept.

Sarcasm noted. Giggle.
  • edited June 2018
    @Crash: if you have it within that balanced budget, go for it! (no sarcasm added)
  • edited June 2018
    So, then, money TRUMPS the needs of people? Pun (and sarcasm) intended. What color is the sky on your planet? And just which party is responsible for the growing national debt? Repugnants.
  • edited June 2018
    @BrianW An analysis by the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University's law school found that 11 percent of Americans lack a government-issued photo ID such as a passport, driver's license, state ID card or military ID. Nine percent of whites don't have such ID, compared with 25 percent of blacks and 16 percent of Hispanics, the Brennan study said. But I know facts don't matter to you so why bother?
  • A manageable and sustainable framework should always be the law of the land. Everything thing else is wishful thinking and doomed to fail. Regarding the sky, all colors are subject to filters.
  • LewisBraham: Sir, you aren't answering the question. Are poor Whites better able to get to the polls? If yes, why?
  • edited June 2018
    It's not getting to the polls. It's getting to vote in the polls without official state issued ID. Meanwhile, there is report after report showing the instances of voter fraud are minuscule to non-existent in many areas, but again facts don't matter because apparently millions of "illegals" voted in California even though no credible source will verify that.
  • And, what prevents Blacks (or others) from obtaining IDs? This is a serious non-sarcastic question.
  • edited June 2018
    Money and time and fear of government authority figures who time after time have incarcerated them and shot them in the back. But mostly it's time. If you don't have a driver's license, you've got to show up during the day and wait on a line at the DMV to get your non-Driver's ID. You've got to pay for it too in many states. You've also got to bring proof to get the ID such as evidence of a place of residence. Well, let's say you're a transient person who doesn't have a permanent address and are poor so you move around a lot. Getting the proof of residence becomes another challenge.

So it is a whole extra step you have to take to vote and that step could take up half a day depending on how far you live from the DMV and if you don't have a car, you're taking the bus or walking to that location. Guess what? That is challenging for many people, especially poorer, elderly or disabled people, and they get discouraged. And if you've got a job and are living paycheck to paycheck you can't afford to take a half a day off to go to the DMV or your boss might not like it. So again voting becomes much more challenging than it should be.
  • Money and time and fear of government authority figures who time after time have incarcerated them and shot them in the back.

My intent is to be respectful, but I have no idea why you included this. My original statement stands: whether you're Black, White or whatever there's no reason you can't obtain an ID.

The reference article was written in a manner to suggest Republicans were somehow preventing minorities from voting. We have to produce identification for many purposes and it doesn't matter your race. I would think you'd want to prevent even the possibility of voter fraud, and presenting an ID seems to be the smallest of sacrifices to be sure the person voting is who they say they are.

I appreciate the discussion.
  • • "my income, land, savings and other property belongs to me"
    • no, I won't pay enough taxes to balance the budget, so...
    • yes, I'll only vote for politicians who won't raise my taxes, but...
    • "if you have it within that balanced budget, go for it! (no sarcasm added)"

Really cute!
  • edited June 2018
    But if per capita more blacks and other minorities are poor than white than statistically they are put at a disadvantage to whites in general. You know that though. You're playing with semantics saying poor white to poor black. Poor people in general are disadvantaged but a greater percentage of minorities are poor than white. And you say even the possibility of voter fraud is a risk. What about the possibility of a poor voter turnout and a non-representational dysfunctional democracy because less poor people are voting because they don't have the means to get an ID. You would think having a functioning democracy where as many people vote as possible is worth sacrificing the infinitesimal chances of voter fraud. The real intent of these voter ID laws is not to prevent voter fraud as so little has been proven to exist. It is is to discourage people--and poor people especially--from voting.
  • And true. There are limits to everything, including generosity.
  • edited June 2018
    What "generosity" are you talking about?
  • I believe our government has a spending problem and until that is fixed, or a balanced budget amendment is passed, I'm not willing to give them another dime.
  • I should clarify. I believe there should be a hard limit to the amount the government can demand from us. After that, I believe they should have a balanced budget. We all have to live within our means, including the government.
  • edited June 2018
    @LewisBraham- His "generosity" in condescending to help pay for the operation of the country that he lives in. As in "Let somebody else pay for California's highways... why should I have to help?"
  • edited June 2018
    @LewisBraham: This has nothing to do with being poor or Black. And, asking for an ID doesn't prevent anyone from voting. If all MLK needed to do was to obtain IDs for his congregation, 100% of them would've been registered and ALL would have voted.
  • What "generosity" are you talking about?

That was in response to Old_Joe.

• BrianW said:

I should clarify. I believe there should be a hard limit to the amount the government can demand from us. After that, I believe they should have a balanced budget. We all have to live within our means, including the government.

Well, that’s pretty simple economics isn’t it?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2013/mar/26/federal-budget-household-finances-fed
  • @hank: It can't be managed like a bottomless pit either.
  • edited June 2018
    Old_Joe said:

“yes, I'll only vote for politicians who won't raise my taxes ...”

@Old_Joe, Well Sir - here in the great Midwest our badly damaged roads lay bare that truth.
    Jeepers - like driving through a war zone.

Possibly related - Many of the same folks who won’t vote a dime for taxes are cruising around in monstrous $60,000 - $70,000 SUVs and other “off-road ready” vehicles ... adding even more damage to the roads and, I suspect, costing them plenty more than fixing the roads would. Kinda makes ya wonder how much “space” one or two individuals need around them?

We haven’t even gotten to the environmental impact, the unnecessary highway congestion, and the safety issues resulting from so many high silhouette vehicles fighting for space.
  • edited June 2018
    Because of inflation and the significant increase in automotive efficiency, road maintenance tax intake in California is well below where it was traditionally for many years. The roads are in some places barely usable, and are rapidly deteriorating to the point that the eventual cost to repair them will be astronomical because of the deferred maintenance.

No matter... Brian sees no reason why he should be responsible for another dime... because he thinks that taxes are too high. It's all about him and what he thinks and what he wants, you see. He has no responsibility for the common good of the state... because he says so.

Consummate, utter selfishness and irresponsibility. Trickling from the top down.
  • edited June 2018
    @BW, balanced budget is a terrible terrible idea quite aside from social policy, and I'm surprised you are not better-read in this area.

But more seriously, are you claiming you are overtaxed or unfairly taxed? (serious question, not trolling you) ... Is too much being demanded of you, do you feel? How about of wealthier?