Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Generation of Americans Is Entering Old Age the Least Prepared in Decades

edited June 2018 in Off-Topic
Low incomes, paltry savings, high debt burdens

Following are a few lightly edited excerpts from a current Wall Street Journal article:

"Americans entering retirement are in worse financial shape than the prior generation, for the first time since Harry Truman was president." "Their median incomes including Social Security and retirement-fund receipts haven’t risen in years, after having increased steadily from the 1950s."

"They have high average debt, are often paying off children’s educations and are dipping into savings to care for aging parents. Their paltry 401(k) retirement funds will bring in a median income of under $8,000 a year for a household of two."

In total, more than 40% of households headed by people aged 55 through 70 lack sufficient resources to maintain their living standard in retirement, a Wall Street Journal analysis concluded. That is around 15 million American households."

This is a detailed, extensive and well documented article from the Wall Street Journal. If you are not a subscriber it might be worth your time to obtain a print version of today's paper.
Correction: After reading the print version at breakfast I see that this article must be on-line only- at least it wasn't in the paper home-delivered here in SF. Sorry.

Comments

• Ouch! And I don't see it getting any better for many of those following behind any time soon.
  • A quick scan of the reader's comments to this article is illuminating. By a huge margin the almost universal response is very cold: "Tough"... "They squandered their lives, it's not my problem"... "They are stupid, don't expect my taxes to help."

And lots more along those general lines. The increasingly hard-edged lack of empathy for the less fortunate in this country is making me wonder exactly what the United States is all about.
  • And then we have another WSJ article from the same edition:

Nikki Haley: ‘It is patently ridiculous for the United Nations to examine poverty in America’

A United Nations report condemning entrenched poverty in the United States is a “misleading and politically motivated” document about “the wealthiest and freest country in the world,” according to the Trump administration's ambassador to the world body.

In May, [the] U.N. ... released a report saying the United States has the highest rates of youth poverty, infant mortality, incarceration, income inequality and obesity among all countries in the developed world, as well as 40 million people living in poverty.

[The report] accused President Trump and the Republican Congress of deepening poverty and inequality in the country, citing the Republican tax law passed last fall: “The policies pursued over the past year seem deliberately designed to remove basic protections from the poorest, punish those who are not in employment and make even basic health care into a privilege”

Haley [argued] that the administration has created a strong economy that would lift people out of poverty and... said the U.N. special rapporteur had “categorically misstated” the progress America has made in reducing poverty, but she gave no examples.

(These excerpts from the article have been edited for brevity.)

• Sounds like Ms Haley and others are active members of the Ted club. I've got mine, sucks to be you.
  • Quick thoughts:

- Some people subscribe to publications because of the quality of the content. But many subscribe because of their editorial slant (regardless of whether that infiltrates the news section). I suspect that this accounts for the comments you're seeing.

- It sounds like people today are not worse off (though not better off) on the asset/income side of the ledger. But the debit side of the ledger has grown along with the size of the "sandwich generation".

Not surprising, given longer lifespans (need to take care of aging parents) with inadequate/inefficient healthcare delivery on one end, and soaring education costs and low paying entry level jobs on the other (need to help out children). This is supposed to be the first generation for whom having children creates a net lifetime cost rather than benefit. (Speaking strictly in dollars and cents, of course.)

- A free Fortune article with much the same report abut Haley and the UN concerning "the freest country in the world":
    http://fortune.com/2018/06/22/nikki-haley-un-report-us-poverty/

• Thanks, msf.
  • I feel very lucky that my public employer paid 10% of my gross earnings into a really good retirement program from the day I started work. I didn't know squat about money and for a few years I made the mistake of choosing too great a percentage into fixed income. In a sense, I wish the employer had said to put it all in stocks, given my age. I needed direction and I could have used more. My overall point is that if no one nudges or even forces you into retirement investing, you may never do it or be able to catch up. Even in a low-paying liberal arts field, forty years of contributions really add up. It's nice to think that "financial education" would solve the problem cited; I'd lean towards mandatory participation. You can lead a horse to water, but....
  • Hi Guys,

I take a more optimistic view of our aging issues.

Our current population is better educated, especially among the women cohort. We live longer gaining about 7 years on average since WWII. If still working, we are granted more flexibility by elastic minded employers. For example 10 hour work days are often encouraged to free Frdays. Our medical services are greatly expanded and improved treatments are quickly introduced. We have better transportation options. Inventions have made life easier. I have far more leisure time access than my parents.

I don't consider myself especially wize or talented possessing an average skill set and average luck. Luck is always an unpredictable factor and it is a constant player.

Overall, my wife and I, and our kids, are happy campers. I hope most others are likewise happy campers. I suspect that is so, although we like to complain. Most complaints are trivial and easily resolved. Life is good. So be it.

Best Wishes
  • edited June 2018
    MJG said:

Hi Guys,

I take a more optimistic view of our aging issues.

Our current population is better educated, especially among the women cohort. We live longer gaining about 7 years on average since WWII. If still working, we are granted more flexibility by elastic minded employers. For example 10 hour work days are often encouraged to free Frdays. Our medical services are greatly expanded and improved treatments are quickly introduced. We have better transportation options. Inventions have made life easier. I have far more leisure time access than my parents.

I don't consider myself especially wize or talented possessing an average skill set and average luck. Luck is always an unpredictable factor and it is a constant player.

Overall, my wife and I, and our kids, are happy campers. I hope most others are likewise happy campers. I suspect that is so, although we like to complain. Most complaints are trivial and easily resolved. Life is good. So be it.

Best Wishes

Deleted post. Politics has pretty much destroyed MFO.
  • I consider my lifetime luck --- middle-class American boomer with astoundingly rising US markets, growing from $10k to $5M-$20M depending on percentage of bond holdings --- well above average. I guess I tilted it in my favor by participating and also working hard enough to be able to do so.
  • MJG, I can appreciate your post but the article was not about aging issues. Everything you said is probably true but what good is it if you do not have the financial wherewithal to afford any of it. Have you looked at the cost of housing where you live lately? How can the average person, much less the lower wage earners afford that?

The folks the article was talking about are struggling with costs for housing, day-to-day expenses, possibly college costs if they tried to help their children, possibly costs related to healthcare for aging family members, I mean the list is endless. Not all of them threw what they had down the wild living toilet bowl, they just tried to make it. We don't know their whole story but everyone of us is one catastrophic health disaster, or underfunded and/or now eliminated pension plan away from a similar situation. When was the last time SS saw a cost of living wage?

I have no doubt that you, Junkster and likely many of the visitors to MFO are all sitting pretty well off or preparing the road to get there but the article wasn't about how much better off we are today as a whole.
  • Hi Mark,

Sorry if you feel that I missed the primary thrust of the originating post. In my defense, I contributed in a manner that reflected what I interpreted was the dominant theme of the many responders. Perhaps I misinterpreted that also.

I really believe that things have greatly improved since my Father's Day. He struggled much more than I do to even just survive.

You specifically referenced housing costs and ownership. Even in that area, small improvements have been recorded since WWII. Here is a Link to some data in that arena:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/10/09/who-is-the-new-face-of-american-homeownership/

Although the most recent data shows a rather static ownership percentage, the longer term trend line is definitely positive. Although many exceptions exist, and the US growth rates don't equal other successful Nations in several measurement areas, it has moved, and continues to move in a positive overall direction. Good for most of us.

Thanks for your comment.

Best Wishes
  • Nikki is among the "Haves" who have forgotten that there really are people who struggle. It's the same as the Trumpster's disease: "If you're not rich, that's your fault. Why aren't you rich?" ANSWER: Because some of us DO own a conscience, and GREED is UNETHICAL.
  • +1

but how dare you say that greed is not the highest form and goal of human life!
  • It is people WHO are old WHO are not prepared. It is THEIR fault, yeah?

First of all they have no business living so long. If they didn't, the United Nations wouldn't be able to pen a "politically motivated" article.

Blame the guy who doesn't have any money. It is always their fault. Always.
  • All, u need a /sarc tag so we can tell

sometimes it is [their fault], sometimes it ain't, usually it is a combo

come on
  • @davidrmoran. My right hand was up when I was typing. Not my fault you can't see it:-P